DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Debadging old man style - With a Paint Stick!

7K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  9Rockr 
#1 ·
So many people have posted threads on how to and how not to Debadge their trucks and I read most of them. After reading many of the post (thanks brad12kx) I made sure to buy a stripe off wheel before I attempted it. I picked up a Stripe Eliminator Model E4000S (half the price of the 3m) from my local paint supply house and some Goo Gone. I grabbed some fishing line out of my tackle box and set off on Mod #6 on my month old truck.

Started with the fishing line to saw off the badges. After the first two I figured it wasn’t needed as I could bet my finger nails under it and just pop them off. Not exactly on there for life in my opinion.

Next I got out my Stripe Eliminator and off came the adhesive foam tape. It took a while, about 5 minutes per letter, and was frankly really mashing the adhesive around after it stripped off the foam. I got one side done and started on the next. Working on my 4th letter my arms were getting a little tired so I decided to take a break.

As I was sipping on a beer, I remembered what my father-in-law said when I told him what I was going to do. He told me that every truck he has had he debadged with a heat gun and a sanded paint stirring stick. He said that he simply heated up the badging or trim piece with the hair dryer or heat gun, then used a sanded to a point paint stirrer to slowly work the tape off. I decided to give it a shot while my noodle like arms rested from holding my 1/2 inch drill.

Holy Cow! The man knows what he is talking about! Three minutes later I had the first letter off. Another 3 minutes and the second was off. And there was no mess left over. A little spray of the Goo Gone, a 5 minute soak and an easy wipe away.

So any of you looking to Debadge and you don't want to spend $40 on a 3M wheel or $25 on a different brand wheel, try sanding down a scrap piece of pine!

Here are some pics. You can see the R & A were done with the paint stick and the M was done with the wheel.

See less See more
#2 ·
So where were you and this great idea when I 'had' badges on my truck? :gy:

:LOL:

Oh well, I do have a new van (black...of course) coming next month for the company, and was thinking of debadging it to match the Ram. This will be the 'First' method I try on it. :smileup: Thanks for posting!

#7 ·
Yea I had a hug blister that took forever to heal :(

#10 · (Edited)
Used the sanded paint stick,worked great,debadged the Ram in little over an hour:smileup:.. Rob

#11 ·
I have to say, that is a pretty cool idea. No worries about it scratching something up?

- Cajun

#14 ·
What about the temperature of the heat gun? Did you use a low setting or high setting? Who a hair dryer accomplish the same goal?

I have a dealer badge that I want to get rid of. I do not advertise for free and they didnt pay me to put their stupid badge on the back of my new truck.

#16 ·
Rob is right. However, in most states, if you don't want the dealer tag, emblem, sticker ect... on your truck they have to remove it for you for free or pay you for advertising for them. That is if you wanted to go back down to the dealer and ask them to do it......

#15 · (Edited)
I used my heat gun on low,kept it moving over the letters until I could wiggle one around ,then popped it off with the paint stick, a hair dryer should give enough heat to do the same...:smileup:..Rob

#21 ·
I used the same method but with a plastic putty knife sanded to a point. The wood is probably softer though so probably safer....will use that method in the future. I didn't get any scratches though with the plastic, although I was extremely careful and slow with it. Works like a charm.

#23 ·
For those asking for after pics, here is one. There are no swirl marks, scratches or anything after using the "Paint Stick" method.

For all those who have tried, I am glad to help. That is what this forum is all about.:smiley_thumbs_up:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.