DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
eduardostewart is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie - shopping for new ram - need help/info

Hi guys,

looks like it's time to shop around for a new truck. i'm looking into getting another ram from this generation 02-08 and need some advice for what i'm looking at. i pretty much blindly bought the ram i have now and it's time to trade her in. Even at that, i most likely can only afford the early years of this generation.

i have been pondering the idea of actually getting the 5.9L cummins. I'm told you can get ~20 mpg and with my commute to work being mostly interstate i'm curious if it's not a viable option.

Another reason i'm told is that the cummins 5.9 just goes on forever and basically if i were to get a ram with a cummins, that the powertrain is great for longevity.

can you guys give me any idea what to look for? now, we all know everything on the internet is true and according to wiki the 5.9 cummins had an SO and HO version. Is there a cutoff for model years? Is there a nice plastic hat on the engine that will say "5.9L HO?"

Lastly, what about the tranny model? which would be best?

Thank you!
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: khaki metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
tactical45 is on a distinguished road
Default shopping for a new ram

Not sure exactly what you are looking for but I was searching today and found this one

http://www.torquelist.com/posts/601/...sel--short-bed
Old 10-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
JAWS37 is on a distinguished road

I have an 2004 with a cummins, I drove mostly highway and got 26.7 mpg. The key is not to go too fast and not to have a heavy foot. In mixed use driving I am typically at 21. I tow a 6,700 lb boat (weight confirmed on scale) and get at least 15 mpg. All mileage is from the computer console and not calculated.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Tumbler85 is on a distinguished road

I myself have a 04 with the H.O. cummins and I love it. There's nothing on the engine itself identifying it as an H.O. but if I remember right if the 8th number on the vin is a "c" then that meant it was a H.O. Also if I'm correct the high output cummins only came with a 6-speed. I searched high and low to find everything I wanted on mine. Also I do believe they started putting emissions on midway through 04 but I could be wrong. I get about 22-24 MPG with mine going down the freeway but I have a pretty heavy foot and love to listen to that turbo whistle! 2007 was a split year for the engines themselves which by that I mean you could buy one with both the 5.9 and 6.7. But after that only the 6.7 was available. My dad has a 6.7 and I'm pretty astonished at how quiet and powerful it is. It almost made me upgrade but I like not having a cat converter to deal with. Let me know if I can help any more!