DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009Dodge ram
Trim Level: full
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
big dutch is on a distinguished road
Default cool air system and chip plus exhaust

Hi
im new to this game and I have never had a Dodge now I have a 2009 dodge 2500 heavey duty with the 5.7 hemi and im looking for more power and fuel mileage so who can tell me the best cold air and chip to use and a good sounding exhaust.
thanks for your imput
Rick
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 PM
erm

Intake: They pretty much all do the same thing. I like the enclosed box type that takes air in from outside the vehicle. Kits like Volant or AFE are good quality and flow well.

Chip: Forget "chips" and get a programmer. You have your choice of the SuperChips units or the DiabloSport units. I personally use the DiabloSport Predator on both my HEMI powered vehicles and I like the programming flexibility. I will say that the SuperChips units have a better transmission tuning tool in them but my shifts did firm up with the Predator.

Exhaust: It's soooo subjective. I don't know how loud or quiet you want it. You'd have to listen to some of the clips here and on the mfgr's websites. Basic things to know is that, 1) The longer the muffler case, the quieter the muffler. I have an 18" Magnaflow Single In/Dual Out. It's noticeable but not obnoxious...to me. 2) You have MDS on your truck so beware of drone. One way to make sure you don't run into really obnoxious drone is to replace your mufflers but leave the stock pipes in. That way you retain your resonators. 3) If you have a "y" pipe on your truck (down pipes from your exhasut manifolds come together in a Y shape, then on to a single muffler), seriously consider replacing that piece as it's probably the most restrictive piece in your exhaust system.

Good luck! Picking an exhaust is more an issue of sound vs. flow.

The combination of these three mods will improve performance, increase engine efficiency and may improve your mileage. My intake, exhaust and programmer mods netted me 4+ MPG highway.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

maddog 2500's came with mds?

and big dutch, i made my own intake, and have flow master 44 on him and it gave me 3ish mpg city but like mad said, sound vs flow
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

Didn't make any 4th gen 2500's in 09 it must be a 3rd gen truck

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning