DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Ok, we have gone this round before, so maybe lets try again...

Because Petroleum based Oils and lubricants ALL BREAK DOWN over time.

I pulled the front axle drain plug on one of the trucks in the motor pool the other day and it was black and the consistency of 5w20 motor oil. It started life 6 months ago as fresh, clean, golden 80w-90 synthetic gear oil. Granted this was a 30,000lb military grade up-armored 6x6 Freight-liner rig, but still.

Oil breaks down over time. Do you have any idea how hot the inside of your differentials and transmission gets? Heat breaks down the oil, the oil loses its viscosity over time. The thickness is where the protection is. Heat breaks it down, lowers the viscosity and it gets hotter, and the viscosity gets even lower. Eventually, your gears in the diff and/or the splines on your axles are shot due to inadequate lubrication.

If you do not tow anything, change it every 50,000 miles at a minimum. I change it whenever I service the transmission. I just had the transfer case, and both differentials done for $181. If someone cant afford $200 for maintenance every 50,000 miles, then they need to be re-evaulating their finances and choice of vehicle.

Of course, again, this is personal choice. But I have never had an engine, transmission or differential go out. In the many years I have been wrenching, I have learned thats probably because I change my fluids regularly. Spend $2,000 replacing a rear end at 110,000 miles (JUST out of warranty) and maybe you will sing a different tune.

Fluid Changes are CHEAP INSURANCE...When in doubt, change them out!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I agree with that ^, especially under heavy loads, racing, etc... and especially with LSD.

When I had my s10 with an open diff, and didn't use it for much more than a DD, I changed the fluid twice (every 100,000 miles), and had no problems with it.

When I drove my F100 that I ran pretty hard and it had a LSD, I changed the fluid once at about 15k miles, and it was very brown, burnt smelling, and about as thick as milky water....so it definitely makes a difference how hard you are on it...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I just read my 2009 Ram Maintenance Schedule, PAGE 506

120,000 Miles (200,000 km) or 120 Months Maintenance Service Schedule
❏ Change the engine oil and engine oil filter.
❏ Rotate the tires.
❏ Replace the engine air cleaner filter.
❏ Replace the ignition cables (3.7L Engine).
❏ Replace the spark plugs (3.7L and 5.7L Engines).
❏ Inspect the brake linings; replace if necessary.
❏ Inspect the CV joints.
❏ Inspect exhaust system.
❏ Inspect the front suspension, tie rod ends and boot seals for cracks or leaks and all parts for damage, wear, improper looseness or end play;
replace if necessary.
Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s).
❏ Change the transfer case fluid if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.
❏ Replace the accessory drive belt(s).

It never reads that the rear differential needs to be changed, it just needs to be inspected, unless you are
police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.
I for one don't believe it, i have opened vehicle rear ends & i have seen caked fluid inside of the housing
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rick980 is on a distinguished road

You are required to follow the rules in your manual you got with your truck not the updated recommended specifications they staple to the back off my oil change receipt each time.Every other oil change was over a hundred bucks if you follow their schedule. I think they figure they are a Cadillac dealership and we never look under our hoods or what? I finally went with synthetic oil, cuz I am gonna go the full 6 months since I won't even put 5000kms in 6 months.