DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I documented the good, the bad and ugly of debadging mine.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83781

There are also numerous replies with some great tips and advice, that cover almost every conceivable way of removing the badges.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Unlimited Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:40
Mudder is on a distinguished road

You guys are making it harder than it needs to be. Once you spend 30 seconds or so heating up the left over foam tape, just start at a corner like your taking off a price tag, peel it enough to get a grip, and stretch it almost parallel to the surface of the paint keeping a fair amount of stretch/ pressure on it. It literally just releases and comes off pretty clean. The only real residue I had left was a bit around the edges and where I started each peal. 2 minutes or so per letter tops including warming time. I was just being stubbornly hopeful and the passenger side took me 20 minutes I'd say. Once i did it how I knew I should I had it finished in another 20.

Last edited by Mudder; 10-02-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: White
Rep:10
954rrmike is on a distinguished road

I did one side tonight on my new truck and I wish it came off like the above post. I have removed allot of stripes etc and this foam adhesive is on there. I have three blisters from one side. I heated them up with a heat gun about a foot away on low setting, then used the fishing line to remove the chrome but all the adhesive stayed on the truck. I then heated up the adhesive and began rolling it off with my finger. After the ram was off my fingers were done so I used a piece of a leather glove and that worked good. I used mopar combustion chamber conditioner to remove any leftover residue, worked better than goo gone or wd40. I want to try the adhesive removal wheel for the other side as there must be a easier way. Is this wheel really safe for the paint? My way had no ill effects on the paint so I dont want to buy the wheel if it is going to dull the paint. What should I do?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:38 PM

I'd do a directional video if I had any tape left to use. The key is the heat and then its like water and surface tension for getting the tape to release off the surface. I held the hair dryer on high about 1/4" from the foam. When you touch it, it should be noticeably hot. You gotta kinda wiggle it and keep it stretched and it just comes right off. The more of the foam you leave on the truck when you remove the emblems the better, cause it gives you a better base for removal.

Last edited by Mudder; 10-02-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954rrmike View Post
I did one side tonight on my new truck and I wish it came off like the above post. I have removed allot of stripes etc and this foam adhesive is on there. I have three blisters from one side. I heated them up with a heat gun about a foot away on low setting, then used the fishing line to remove the chrome but all the adhesive stayed on the truck. I then heated up the adhesive and began rolling it off with my finger. After the ram was off my fingers were done so I used a piece of a leather glove and that worked good. I used mopar combustion chamber conditioner to remove any leftover residue, worked better than goo gone or wd40. I want to try the adhesive removal wheel for the other side as there must be a easier way. Is this wheel really safe for the paint? My way had no ill effects on the paint so I dont want to buy the wheel if it is going to dull the paint. What should I do?
The wheel does not hurt the paint but it does make one heck of a mess. The method Mudder uses can be just as effective. I think it largely depends on where you live and what the current weather conditions are. Also depends on how tough your fingers are. I would recommend trying the free version first. If it does not work for you, get the wheel. I used the wheel and it worked great for me but that is strictly my experience.
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Rep:10
954rrmike is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys I got one side done and it looks awesome, just looking for a easier way for the other side. Napa has a generic removal tool for like ten bucks. I had no luck pulling the tape off at different angles.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Hiker Guy is on a distinguished road

Consider that first side as the learning experience.

I picked up a can of 3M Adhesive remover (liquid). After pulling off the plastic chrome numbers/letters, I then soaked the adhesive with the remover liquid. The adhesive soaked up quite a bit of the liquid, I was just being careful about drips down the side of the truck.

After a little bit of soak time, the soggy adhesive was fairly easy to pull off. Perhaps warmer weather would have helped when I did mine, but it finally came off safely, as the 3M adhesive remover is paint safe.

Don't worry about getting the adhesive off in just one piece. Take your time, it will come off.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:58
keystone183 will become famous soon enough

Gotta agree with mudder here. PIECE OF CAKE IF YOU DO IT RIGHT. Take badge off with fishing line. Then peel up enough of one edge to get a grip on. if you do an entire side it works better. For example if it is a rectangle badge peel back one entire short side. Then pull that whole piece the opposite direction from the rest of the foam. Keep it as close to the panel as possible. Go slow, and the rest will just release and come off. I had to move forward on the peeled off piece to keep it from tearing as i went. Leaves almost nothing after you get it off. Just a little cleaner wax, and some elbow grease, and good as new.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone183 View Post
Gotta agree with mudder here. PIECE OF CAKE IF YOU DO IT RIGHT. Take badge off with fishing line. Then peel up enough of one edge to get a grip on. if you do an entire side it works better. For example if it is a rectangle badge peel back one entire short side. Then pull that whole piece the opposite direction from the rest of the foam. Keep it as close to the panel as possible. Go slow, and the rest will just release and come off. I had to move forward on the peeled off piece to keep it from tearing as i went. Leaves almost nothing after you get it off. Just a little cleaner wax, and some elbow grease, and good as new.

Exactly, its trippy how it just poof and comes off really.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Black Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:20
hyperlitejacko is on a distinguished road

Anyone have a horror story that like pooched up there paint. I'm super paranoid. I had the dodge paint protector package put on my truck at the dealer while the badging was on. If I removed the badging, do you think I would notice where they were because those spots didn't get the extra paint protection on them?