DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about
Default Odd Exhaust Noise

I've had my 2009 5.7 Hemi Crewcab for a week and a half now and I just took it on its first road trip for work, about 450 miles round trip. I noticed and odd noise that seems to come from the exhaust. Between about 1700 and 2000 RPM's the exhaust note seems to come from right under me and I can feel a slight vibration under foot. We're not talking extreme but there is definitely a resonance. As soon as the tach kicks over 2000 the resonance is gone and the exhaust note is back at the tailpipe. Unfortunately at certain highway speeds the engine seems to spend a lot of time in that range so it gets annoying after a while.

A little background. The truck is in great shape and seemed barely used when I got it (less than 11k on the odometer). The previous owner had swapped out the stock muffler for something that had more sound. Unfortunately that didn't work for me (wife didn't like it and it wouldn't be popular in my neighbourhood) Not to mention I use it for traveling and I didn't really want to listen to the extra noise all the time; sorry I'm getting old. Anyway, the dealer said they would change it as part of the deal and they did. Now I don't think they used a new muffler, but it seemed fine.

Also, I was towing a 6 x 12 trailer for my trip when I first noticed it; the trailer weighs in at less than 3000 lbs. so it's not testing the truck much at all. I didn't notice it before (I also wasn't on the highway much till this trip). So when I was unhitched and on the highway I listened for the noise and resonance. It's still there, just more noticeable when the truck is under load. I tried cruising with the Tow/Haul switch both on and off and it didn't make a difference. If the engine is in that RPM range the noise and the resonance is there.

So before I go to the dealer I figured I would ask if this is something normal that others encounter or if anyone has an idea what might be causing it so I'm a bit more informed when I'm talking to the Service Manager? Since they have changed the muffler already I'm expecting they are not going to jump at the chance to work on it again.

Thanks for the help

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:78
saunders1986 will become famous soon enough

im thinking its the mds system, when that cuts in, you can feel a vibration, and the exhaust changes tone. this is normal.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Conventional Eccentric

highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the reply; I'd read other threads about the MDS but I didn't think my issue was likely to be that. I thought the MDS didn't operate in the Tow/haul mode or when the engine was under load. I'm new to this so I may be wrong, also in my 2009 I can't tell when I'm in MDS so that makes it e en harder to know.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

you said that you still heard it in tow/haul
so its not MDS, you can also shift down 1 time so that the 5 shows up on your EVIC, you won't be in MDS mode then either

I'm thinking that the exhaust is hitting the frame slightly, that noise will travel throughout the vehicle & you wouldn't be able to pin point it
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 11 2500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:14
tbeaton is on a distinguished road

mine hits a dead spot at those rpm's. i have a banks on my 2500 and it goes from loud to nothing it a split second.
11 deep water blue 2500 big horn, 5.7 hemi, 4.10 gears, 6" bds short arm lift, 20x9 -12 offset kmc hoss black wheels, 37x12.5x20 nitto trails, n fab cab length nerf bars, banks muffler w/ lou's custom tubing, pocket flares, top gun customz dual steering stabilizer, mission sled deck.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I'm thinking that the exhaust is hitting the frame slightly, that noise will travel throughout the vehicle & you wouldn't be able to pin point it
I wondered about that and it certainly seems the most logical answer, the only question is the noise isn't as loud when the truck isn't under load (towing in this case); it still happens at the same RPM range but not as loud. Would that make a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeaton View Post
mine hits a dead spot at those rpm's. i have a banks on my 2500 and it goes from loud to nothing it a split second.
I don't feel a dead spot so much at those RPM's but the noise does build up, under load, then it just stops and its the regular rumble from the tailpipe by the time I hit 2000 PRM's, much quieter. Forgive me I don't know what a banks is though.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT C.C.
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:946
Juice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to behold

It's MDS. The only logical explanation. That, or your not used to a V8.

Justin
Black Mamba- Flowmaster 40 series, Airaid CAI, 20% tint, GTO taillight covers, ATA nerfs, AVS in-channel ventvisors, Curt hitch receiver, Extang Revolution Tonneau, EZ-down tailgate damper, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Custom painted engine cover

Black Mamba's Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice420 View Post
It's MDS. The only logical explanation. That, or your not used to a V8.
Well since it happens at the same RPM range whether the truck is in Tow/Haul mode, when shifting manually or simply in Drive I thought that "logically" ruled out the MDS?

Other than to be insulting, I don't see how me being used to a V8 has anything to do with it (I am by the way and I've probably been driving them since before you were born)? I doubt an annoying noise or vibration that takes place in an RPM range common at highway speeds would be a planned design parameter.

Now if what you were trying to say is you have the same experience and you know it to be a common experience with these models then that is part of what I was asking, so thank you for your response.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge ram
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
larryduffer is on a distinguished road
Default Odd exhaust noise

There is a lot of evidence out there that it is probably the torque converter. See my thread on growling and grinding noise. I have a 2011 Big Horn with the 5.7 and I am getting these noises also and it is worse when under a load or going up a incline at certain speeds. I also think is is RPM related somehow. Chrysler does have a problem with the torque converter on some trucks. MY dealership is working with Chrysler now on the possibility of installing another torque converter to see if this solves the problem. Hope this helps you out some.
PS. The noise I am getting sounds something like a drive shaft rubbing on something a certain speed or RPMS.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
spymac is on a distinguished road

Bringing this thread back to life. Curious to see if the issue was resolved or what the diagnosis was.