DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

SOOOO??? Anyone have any insight on these? would love to know more about the catch can, have done some research, but would like to hear from those that have it installed on their 11 Ram and what the beny's are... thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

The Catch Can captures oil that's headed for the intake manifold from the PCV valve.

Stock [PCV]=>[Intake Manifold]

Modified [PCV]=>[CatchCan]=>[Intake Manifold]

The Billet Technology Catch Can catches oil and burn-off by-products, contaminates and moisture headed for your intake via the PCV. Positive Cranckcase Ventilation valve.
Its a factory design flaw in the 4G's (IMHO) that engineers decided that oil blow by should be re-introduced into the engine to be burnt off.
Probably because joe-average would never remember to drain a catch can. Previous model (3G Hemi's) had an internal PCV system, but the new ones route outside the engine.

Trouble is the oil residue in the form of a vapor coats the inside of your intake manifold and reduces the octane level of your air/fuel mixture,
causes detonation and spark knock. It collects inside your intake and eventually drips into your combustion chamber where no oil should be....Supposed to be nothing but Air,Fuel and Spark for peak performance and efficiency.

My local CMR tuner insists that all new Eagle Hemi 5.7L, 6.1L and 6.4L's run a Catch can before he'll even start to tune one.
Either that or sea foam your intake manifold to clean the oil residue out first.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 10-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Thank you Blackramhemi, I guess I will look into ordering one of these. I have 27,000 miles on it already, should I run some sea foam through it also?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:13 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Pic of the amount of Oil Residue on the underside of a throttle body with only 16k miles.

(The stock PCV hose feed goes directly under the Throttle Body)

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 10-11-2011, 09:30 PM
erm

You definitely want to get this PCV driven oil out of your intake system.

Not only does is gum up the throttle body, the unburnt hydrocarbons that remain after the ignition cycle has been completed will cause deposits on your valves, creating "hot spots" that will cause pre-detonation and damage to the valves.

Further, those unburnt hydrocarbons will shorten the life of your catalytic converter.

Someone asked me how many HP you get out of this mod. I told him (he had a 300C) that he will get 345, rather, he will KEEP his 345 HP.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 PM

Good info to know, thanks again BlackRam Hemi and you too Maddog, this is one more reason I love this site, fellow Rammers are awesome.. Ordering my catchcan now..lol
Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^ the oil comes from the engine. There is pressure inside the crankcase due to the pistons moving up and down, the crank sloshing/throwing the oil in the pan around, etc... and if the pressure couldn't escape somehow it'd cause leaks at seals/gaskets. Back in the day the had road draft tubes, which just let the vapor/oil mist vent under the car with the wind. Today that's not allowed (pesky tree huggers....lol jk) and so now they have pcv systems (positive crankcase ventilation = pcv). This is a simple valve on the valve cover that consists of a tube/fitting with a spring and ball inside, and when the pressure get high enough the ball moves and the pressure(containing some oil vapor) is released and goes into the intake. It is then burned in the engine to help reduce emmissions instead of just simply releasing it to the atmosphere. It slightly reduces the octane of your fuel, and makes your intake dirty/oily. The catch can allows positive crankcase ventilation, but catches the oil in a can to keep it out of your engine. This makes your intake stay cleaner and your engine can produce slightly more power, and often run slightly smoother...hope this helps

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SPORT
Trim Level: CREW SPORT
Color: BLACK
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BIG68CHARGER is on a distinguished road

It basically catches oil before it hits your intake, Check out this tread….

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=85540
Old 10-12-2011, 03:45 PM

Anyone have a coupon code for Billet Tech?? I want to order one and was gonna see if anyone else has and if they might have a coupon code.. thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Anyone have a coupon code for Billet Tech?? I want to order one and was gonna see if anyone else has and if they might have a coupon code.. thanks in advance.
Not telling you what to buy but you may want to check out the bully dog catch can that another member used. They are a little cheaper, and very similar. They have a "scratch and dent" sale right now for I think $90. They are basically equal to the BT can but you don't get a bracket... So if you want to avoid making a bracket then maybe stick with the BT. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.