DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough
Default How To: Add the Premium Cluster to your 1994-1997 Dodge Ram

I've been on the forums for several years and time to time. I'll read a post about adding the premium cluster (w/tach) to replace the ugly standard cluster.

After researching Google and my FSM for 6 hours. I finally found a way to use the premium cluster in you 1994 to 1997 Dodge Ram. Not sure if the color codes are the same from 1998 to 2001(2).

Please note, this is only for BR equipped with 3.9L, 5.2L and 5.9L gassers.

No pictures. Didn't think of it until now. Plus, I only had 4 hrs of daylight to work with. But follow along the detailed instructions. This install should only take 3.5 hrs.

Step 1: pick up a premium cluster from the junkyard. make its complete and not any of the screws missing.

Step 2: pull out the standard cluster. there's 2 harnesses going to the cluster. upper right and left. black and white. push in the tab and carefully pull them out.

Step 3: do NOT chuck your original cluster, you'll need the odometer. more on that later.

Step 4: there will be a black and white plug. unwrap the electrical tape from the black plug harness. Locate a gy/lb (gray/ light blue) wire. looking at the plug (tab up), it should be 3rd from the right (B3). likely, that wire isn't hooked up from the PCM. you can always look at the back of the premium cluster if you have a difficult time finding B3 on the black plug. as you're looking at the back of the cluster, look to your upper right and you see the "B". it goes from 1 to 13 from left to right.

Step 5: go ahead and plug in the premium cluster, start the truck and see if the tach works. if it doesn't work, don't panic. turn off the truck and pull the cluster. Proceed to step 6.

Step 6: pull the water shield off of the PCM. there will be 3 plugs (from left to right - gray, white and black). on the gray plug, locate a gy/lb (gray/light blue) wire. do NOT pull a gray/light blue wire from the white and black plugs!

Step 7: once you located the gray/light blue wire. get a wire (presumably the same gauge), use a wire tap-in squeeze connector. run the wire from the pcm to inside the black plug harness. I ran the wire up along the firewall.

Step 8: once you fished the wire to inside the cab and up to the black plug harness. at that this time, you should have located the gray/light blue wire front the harness. cut it about 4in from the plug. solder the wire from the wire you ran from the PCM to the gray/light blue wire. the wire you just cut, fold it.

Step 9: plug in the cluster again and start up the truck. the tach should work and so should the other gauges. re-wrap the harness with electrical tape.

Swapping out the odometer isn't hard. It should take you no more than 15 minutes to do so. All you need is a phillips head screw driver. With both clusters, take off the lense. 7 screws and its off. pull off the black surround and it exposes the individual gauges. BE SURE NOT TO TOUCH THE NEEDLES. With the premium cluster, turn it around. You'll see 3 screws for the tach and 4 for the odometer. Take out those 4 screws. the odometer comes out. Do the same for the original cluster, except transfer it over to the premium cluster. Re-install and its good to go. Check the light bulbs before re-installing it.

Any questions, post here.

Time for a beer.

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan

Last edited by panhead; 12-29-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Sponsored links