DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:39
bigralphy is on a distinguished road
Default Headlamp adjustment

Can someone tell me the headlamp adjusting instructions for a stock 2011 ram 1500? Like how far from the wall you should be and the height of the low beams in comparison to the headlamp height etc.

Hope that is kinda clear.
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I don't think theres anything like that . Most headlights are adjusted using a headlight machine . If you feel they need to be tweaked , turn the screw several turns to raise or lower them . I'd remember how many times you turned them so you can put them back where they were .
Old 02-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Flame Red
Rep:99
Ram Nut will become famous soon enough

This procedure is for a 2009 model, and I'm not sure if the headlight assembly differences for 2011 models yield a different spec than the 2.5 centimeters (1 inch) specified below;

Quote:
FRONT LAMP AIMING
VEHICLE PREPARATION FOR LAMP ALIGNMENT

1. Check for and correct any burnt out bulbs.
2. Repair or replace any ineffective, worn or damaged body or suspension components that could hinder proper lamp alignment.
3. Verify proper tire inflation pressures.
4. Remove any accumulations of mud, snow or ice from the vehicle underbody and clean the front lamp lenses.
5. Verify that there is no load in the vehicle (cargo or passengers), except for the driver.
6. The fuel tank should be FULL. Add 2.94 kilograms (6.5 pounds) of weight over the fuel tank for each estimated gallon of missing fuel.
7. Verify correct vehicle suspension height.
LAMP ALIGNMENT SCREEN PREPARATION
The procedure that follows will prepare a suitable front lamp alignment screen.
1. Tape a line on a level floor 7.62 meters (25 feet) away from and parallel to the flat wall that will be used as the lamp alignment screen. The level floor will be used as the horizontal zero reference.
2. An adjacent wall or floor member that is perpendicular to the alignment screen can be used as the vertical zero reference. If there is no adjacent wall or floor member that is perpendicular to the screen, tape a second line on the floor perpendicular to both the alignment screen and the first line, and outboard of either side of where the vehicle will be positioned. This will be used as the vertical zero reference.
3. Position the vehicle so that the side of the vehicle is parallel to the vertical zero reference, and so that the front of the lamp lenses are in the vertical plane of the parallel line taped on the floor 7.62 meters (25 feet) away from the screen.
4. Rock the vehicle side-to-side three times to allow the suspension to stabilize.
5. Jounce the front suspension three times by pushing downward on the front bumper and releasing.
6. Measure the distance between the optical center of one of the lamps being aimed (head or fog) and the floor (horizontal zero reference). Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a piece of tape placed horizontally to the floor. This line will be used as the lamp horizontal reference.
7. Measure the distance between the vertical zero reference and the optical center of the nearest lamp being aimed (head or fog). Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a piece of tape placed vertically across the appropriate (head or fog) lamp horizontal reference. This is the centerline reference for the first lamp.
8. Measure the distance on center between the first and the second lamp being aimed. Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a second piece of tape placed vertically across the appropriate (head or fog) lamp horizontal reference. This is the centerline reference for the second lamp.
HEADLAMP ALIGNMENT
NOTE: Due to the linear nature of the headlamp cutoff, a properly aimed low beam headlamp will project the top edge of the high intensity pattern 2.5 centimeters (1 inch) below the headlamp horizontal reference line on the alignment screen. No horizontal (right/left) adjustment is required for this headlamp beam pattern. The high beam pattern will be correct when the low beams are properly aimed.
1. Turn the headlamps ON and select the LOW beams.
2. Rotate the headlamp vertical adjustment screw on the back of each front lamp unit to adjust the beam height as required
Old 02-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn Sport 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
GitRDoneGreg is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 Ram 1500 Headlight Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigralphy View Post
Can someone tell me the headlamp adjusting instructions for a stock 2011 ram 1500? Like how far from the wall you should be and the height of the low beams in comparison to the headlamp height etc.

Hope that is kinda clear.
FROM GREG:

I did this last night 02-18-2011: My headlights were staring down at the road and not even a complete school bus length.

Steps:
1. Back truck facing garage door, about 12 to 15 feet away.
2. Turn off engine, but turn on headlights. Open Hood.
3. Look along the upper part of each fender and notice an Arrow pointing towards a small opening hole.
4. You will need a flashlight and a Torx #20 with a long metal stem built on at least 12 inches in length. I have one from MatCo.
5. Guide the #20 Torx head gently onto the opening of the screw down in the hole.
6. Turn clockwise to raise the light low beam. Counterclockwise to lower your low beam. Adjust to the level you want.
7. Repeat the steps with the opposite fender opening for the opposite headlights. Even the level to the one you just did.
8. Take vehicle out for a ride in the dark. If you are not comfortable with the adjustments you make, go back and do it again.
Git-Er-Done.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Color: silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
turbo dragon is on a distinguished road

awesome I will be doing this, this weekend cause the way they are now just sucks
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:59
dodgeram02 will become famous soon enough

is it possible to break that adjustment screw by turning it to far one way or the other? i cant get my passenger side to go up or down. but its pointing like straight down.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

what tool are you using to adjust your headlights ??

adjustment location, for those that don't know

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you're on a dead-level surface or one of your heads will emit glare while the other doesn't..... so often seen on the roads.

Grub out!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: blue
Rep:11
11hemisport is on a distinguished road

The light adjustment can be made through the home as shown with a small socket on a few extensions. I think it may be a 6 mm. The torx is inside the hex head.
Caution though, may want to put a wrap of electrical tape on the end of the extension before the socket goes on. If you lose the socket you will not get it back.

I aimed my headlights by marking a wall where the upper light could be seen. Back up 25 feet and the light should not drop more than 2 inches. If if does, adjust, and your good to go.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:59
dodgeram02 will become famous soon enough

i know how to adjust them, driver side works great. passenger side not so much. actually not at all. when i turn it, either way, the screw will turn, and it will turn the circle thread things below the torx screw. is it possible to take this apart. and fix it. is it a dealer warranty issue? does anybody know how this adjustment screw works?