DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclemckeester View Post
I give you props man, that is a GREAT looking truck. Only thing you're missing is the 4:10 gears the R/T has.
Not true the gears the torquer converter and the interior r/t's have the floor shift and leather interior the sport does not
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2011, 07:35 PM

dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^Well I'm basing what I say off of what my friend paid for his 2011 (over $30k) and what my brother paid for his 2011 express (low $20k). For $10k you can definitely swap the hood, lights, wheels, add badges, swap TC's, and swap gears....I think those are the big differences and I'm not leaving anything out, other than the top of the line interior, and depending on person that doesn't or does matter...

If it were me, I'd just go aftermarket with the lights, TC, and get the 3.92 gears, and it'd be cheaper anyway. Could go with used parts also and save even more. I bet for under $5k you could have an express that looks identical (to most people) to an RT and is faster). The biggest downside to that is it takes time/work. That's sort of what he did anyway, he made it similar looking to an RT, but it's not like a replica or anything. I gotta say I don't like the "fake" badging because it's not a real RT but it is a one of a kind truck for sure, and I think it looks great.
If he paid 30k for a 2011 r/t he got ripped off mine brand new no trade in was 26,500 out the door
Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Even if I were to race an R/T with the same mods, I don't think that it would be a huge difference would it?
It would be very close. Realistically, they are damn near the same, the RT is slightly quicker than the express.

The RT has the higher stall converter, but it isn't all that great compared to say an aftermarket billet one, but yes it is better than the stock one. The RT also has the 4.10's. I think really those are the only real performance upgrades it has.

The advantages the express has is that it is about 200lb lighter, and the wheels are lighter, so it has a little less rotational mass.

I think there would be less than a 0.5 second 1/4 mile difference between an RT and 3.92 express, if even that much. I've driven both my friend's RT and my brother's 3.55 express and they feel the same from the driver's seat IMO.

The expresses are what they are, a more budget minded "muscle" truck that you can mod and make your own with less money. It has all the necessities of a sporty/muscle truck without many extras. The RT also is what it is, the top of the line sport truck. The fastest and the best looking with all the gizmos and comfort. But it comes with the price tag.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:21
Hedghawg71 is on a distinguished road

^^ I'm with him...

I got my Express with 3.92's for around $16K after rebates and trade in. I looked at an R/T real hard but couldn't justify $27K for the same rebates and trade in with one less seat in the truck with the same engine. If I wanted to, like TonyD did, I could do all of this myself and still be big time money ahead because the parts would be cash out front, not financed for 60 months like the rest of the truck and get a return on the parts taken off sold locally via Craigslist or Thrifty Nickel to someone who wants and/or in need of them but not willing to pay what the dealership would charge them AND have the low monthly payment that I have now that I would not have with the R/T, So I would win three times on this brother! I figure TonyD is somewhere in this ballpark too. Sometimes it isn't always about whats in the driveway as much as it is what is left in the wallet afterwards.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD87 View Post
Thank you everyone!!!

I paid $8,500 out the door for the epress with my my trade and rebates at the time. I have put about $5,000 to $6,000 into the truck so far. I have also sold my original hood, wheels/tires, side mirrors, door handles, old radio, headlights, exhaust, and intake so I made alot of my money back just by selling everything. So that would be about $14,500 invested so far and I would say with the audio and a few other things that I want to do it will be about another $3,000 or so and I will have more mods then I would have if I had just bought the R/T. Im happy with my express and I have enjoyed modding my truck. When im done with the mods, the only difference will be interior center console because I am planning to eventually swap out the stock torque converter and put 4.10 gearing or 4.56. Even if I were to race an R/T with the same mods, I don't think that it would be a huge difference would it?
You might lose by maybe a truck or 2 unless i was driving lol but looks good man coming along real nice.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
If he paid 30k for a 2011 r/t he got ripped off mine brand new no trade in was 26,500 out the door
Well I know he ordered his online, he didn't haggle or anything, so that may have something to do with it. I will say I didn't know you could get RT's for the $26k range, if I was looking at an express for like $24k and the RT was only $2k more I'd spring for it. At the same time though, I've seen people get expresses for as low as like $18k.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Dang that price is awesome! Add $20,000 more in mods to be equal with the R/T sticker price and you could be in the 11s if not 10s(although 10s in a hemi ram hasn't been done yet). Heck really the only mods you need now are an aftermarket tc, gears, and some nitrous(stock motor can take about a 125 shot)
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedghawg71 View Post
^^ I'm with him...

I got my Express with 3.92's for around $16K after rebates and trade in. I looked at an R/T real hard but couldn't justify $27K for the same rebates and trade in with one less seat in the truck with the same engine. If I wanted to, like TonyD did, I could do all of this myself and still be big time money ahead because the parts would be cash out front, not financed for 60 months like the rest of the truck and get a return on the parts taken off sold locally via Craigslist or Thrifty Nickel to someone who wants and/or in need of them but not willing to pay what the dealership would charge them AND have the low monthly payment that I have now that I would not have with the R/T, So I would win three times on this brother! I figure TonyD is somewhere in this ballpark too. Sometimes it isn't always about whats in the driveway as much as it is what is left in the wallet afterwards.
I agree hell i sold my r/t rims for 2700 lol and mine cost me 1900 and i like them better

Quote:
You might lose by maybe a truck or 2 unless i was driving lol
LOL, good point, the driver makes all the difference haha!

I've raced my friend's RT a bunch of times from a dig and from rolls, and he of course smokes me every time, but once he left his foot to the floor with traction control off, and I smoked him, because he never moved lol.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
LOL, good point, the driver makes all the difference haha!

I've raced my friend's RT a bunch of times from a dig and from rolls, and he of course smokes me every time, but once he left his foot to the floor with traction control off, and I smoked him, because he never moved lol.
In the end its what the person that has likes i myself think he did a really nice job on it his mods were tastful and not over the top and he should be proud of it .Ans thats coming from an r/t owner some will bitch its a poser but i think he did a heel of a job.And in 4 yrs when its all said and done it will have a bigblock in it and no stupid computer