DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video


Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 PM
rlandon's Avatar
rlandon rlandon is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 258
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2WD
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
rlandon is on a distinguished road
Question My Install, PAC-CHY23 & MyGig Still Running Center/Overhead Speakers??

Installed all my equipment and have all the wiring run. I pulled the Kicker amps and replaced the stocker Alpine amp. Components are as follows:

RER MyGig
Stock Alpine Amp (connected to PAC)
PAC-CHY23
Lockpick V.3
JBL MS-8
Kicker 700.5
Mopar/Kicker speakers (dashx3, doorsx4, sub)

First I'll say that the PAC directions are crap. If you have a lockpick or AllGig don't run the PAC first into the MyGig. I didn't get any power or response from the MyGig running the PAC first then the Lockpick. Run the Lockpick into the MyGig first, then the PAC. Worked fine after that. Problem one solved.

With the PAC should the center channel and overhead speakers still work? Mine do! Guess I'll be unplugging them.

I'm an ex-electrician and have been an audio nut since day one. I've wired and configured allot of equipment. The MS-8 is puzzling. Without the processing, the system sounds normal and the Kicker amp drives the speakers, all of them. With the processing ON, the drivers door seems non-existant, the sub is low, and when testing the speakers using the MS-8 fader and balance the speakers seem all over the place. By that I mean, the pass door is working as is the drivers side rear door, while the driver door again is weak. Just odd behavior from the channels. I taped and marked each speaker wire and RCA cable as I ran them, and have it configured correctly to both the MS-8 and amp. Trying to understand the whole two channels only to the MS-8 and plus why I can't select front and rear channels only during configuration. I don't have center or sides (so to say). Going to sit down with the manual and re-read it.

After several configurations and tweaking I did get it to sound half decent, but nothing like I thought it would. Going to the local shop on Tuesday and picking up the Focals.

I'll post some pics of it all soon. I'm tired and been a long weekend of tearing the truck apart to get the wired and installed.
__________________
Previous Rams: 1954 C1-B6 Rodded, 1976 D100, 1994 RC, 1998 Supercharged EC, 2003 QC R/T Custom.

Last edited by rlandon; 10-02-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 10-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Frank Drebin Frank Drebin is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Age: 34
Posts: 356
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 RAM CC SPORT
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:34
Frank Drebin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlandon View Post
Installed all my equipment and have all the wiring run. I pulled the Kicker amps and replaced the stocker Alpine amp. Components are as follows:

RER MyGig
Stock Alpine Amp (connected to PAC)
PAC-CHY23
Lockpick V.3
JBL MS-8
Kicker 700.5
Mopar/Kicker speakers (dashx3, doorsx4, sub)

First I'll say that the PAC directions are crap. If you have a lockpick or AllGig don't run the PAC first into the MyGig. I didn't get any power or response from the MyGig running the PAC first then the Lockpick. Run the Lockpick into the MyGig first, then the PAC. Worked fine after that. Problem one solved.

With the PAC should the center channel and overhead speakers still work? Mine do! Guess I'll be unplugging them.

I'm an ex-electrician and have been an audio nut since day one. I've wired and configured allot of equipment. The MS-8 is puzzling. Without the processing, the system sounds normal and the Kicker amp drives the speakers, all of them. With the processing ON, the drivers door seems non-existant, the sub is low, and when testing the speakers using the MS-8 fader and balance the speakers seem all over the place. By that I mean, the pass door is working as is the drivers side rear door, while the driver door again is weak. Just odd behavior from the channels. I taped and marked each speaker wire and RCA cable as I ran them, and have it configured correctly to both the MS-8 and amp. Trying to understand the whole two channels only to the MS-8 and plus why I can't select front and rear channels only during configuration. I don't have center or sides (so to say). Going to sit down with the manual and re-read it.

After several configurations and tweaking I did get it to sound half decent, but nothing like I thought it would. Going to the local shop on Tuesday and picking up the Focals.

I'll post some pics of it all soon. I'm tired and been a long weekend of tearing the truck apart to get the wired and installed.
Looking forward to the install pics. From what I understand, the MS8 basically replaces your head unit, your HU is basically like an AUX in to the MS8. That's why you only need the front 2 signals going into it, because all it needs is a full range signal that it then internally balances/fades etc.

From the reading that I've done, you may want to double/triple check your speaker polarity, as I've heard of the same issues with other installs and Logic 7.

Your side speakers are your rear speakers. There is no option for rears.

You can either run a three way front stage or 2 way with rear fill (sides) plus the optional center and sub channel.

edit: I don't know if the MS8 will agree with the pac LOC, do you have full range signal if you were to bypass the ms8 and plug it into your amp? If so then it should work fine.
__________________
Three Generation Dodge Ram Owner - 1998, 2003, 2011
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 AM
rlandon's Avatar
rlandon rlandon is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 258
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2WD
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
rlandon is on a distinguished road
Default

I checked each speaker with a battery for polarity since the Mopar/Kickers use the oem connectors. They are wired correctly. I also tried the PAC to MS-8 using both sets of RCA's (front and rear) with no difference. I'll try it tonight with the sides and fronts only on the MS-8. More to follow along with the pics.
__________________
Previous Rams: 1954 C1-B6 Rodded, 1976 D100, 1994 RC, 1998 Supercharged EC, 2003 QC R/T Custom.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 PM
rlandon's Avatar
rlandon rlandon is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 258
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2WD
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
rlandon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quick update: Pulled the connectors on the oem center dash and overhead rear speakers. Now I get more of a true stereo sound. Played with it for most of the evening still trying to get the right sound for me. I did several configs with the MS-8 using only front and side settings. I also went back and tried the rear outputs from the PAC. I'm getting noise that's driving me crazy. When using the PAC front RCA's it's very noticeable at low volume. When using the rear RCA's it is still there but not as bad.

I'm going nuts with the MS-8. I configured it for the front and sides, went through the full setup and had the sound test go through all four drivers which was correct. When I tried changing the RCA's on the PAC and then reconfiguring the MS-8 for front/sides, I can't get noise from the sides during the setup. I changed the RCA's back on the PAC, and still no noise on the rears during testing. Starting to go nuts with this. I'm not sure about the processing sound. With it off it sounds great, with it on it sounds flat and lots of tweaking.

I also have something that causes the system to go full volume moving the key fob from ACC to on or a config change to the wiring. The only way to cut it off is to kill the truck and open the door. It only does that after a config change. Doesn't do it afterwards. TOO STRANGE!

I'll post the pics and more in just a few. Got to get my mind off this and de-stress!
__________________
Previous Rams: 1954 C1-B6 Rodded, 1976 D100, 1994 RC, 1998 Supercharged EC, 2003 QC R/T Custom.

Last edited by rlandon; 10-03-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 PM
rlandon's Avatar
rlandon rlandon is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 258
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2WD
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
rlandon is on a distinguished road
Default

Here's the pics as promised. The first is the oem cover is cut just below the raised bottom edge and around the power rear window motor.



New wiring run using exiting Mopar/Kicker coaxials in the rear doors. I had to penetrate the upper rubber grommet and run to the door.



JBL MS-8, Kicker KS crossovers, and Kicker 700.5 amp mounted and wiring completed (for what I could outside the truck).



Test fit of board. Time to start wiring!



Board and wiring done. This shows the clearance on the single rear seat.



A better pic of the clearance.



Top bracket to secure upper area of board. Made from Home Depot framing straps and drilled a couple of holes, then painted black. Makes it easy to access wiring, just loosen the bolts and tilt.



Clearance behind seat to amp. It's close but does allow the amp to breathe.



All seats in and bolted back. It's all together. Time for testing and tuning.

__________________
Previous Rams: 1954 C1-B6 Rodded, 1976 D100, 1994 RC, 1998 Supercharged EC, 2003 QC R/T Custom.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Frank Drebin Frank Drebin is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Age: 34
Posts: 356
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 RAM CC SPORT
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:34
Frank Drebin is on a distinguished road
Default

That amp rack looks great. Is it supported at the bottom anywhere else besides the two seat hold down bolts at the drivers side 1/3rd? If not how sturdy is it?

I noticed in the other thread you said your pac has noise, and you're still having issues with the MS8. It seems like you're pretty much on top of things and have tried all the easy stuff, have you tried hooking up an Ipod,etc to the aux in on the MS8? That would eliminate at least your source issues to the MS8 and let you concentrate on the MS8 itself.

Great install.
__________________
Three Generation Dodge Ram Owner - 1998, 2003, 2011
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 PM
rlandon's Avatar
rlandon rlandon is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 258
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2WD
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
rlandon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
That amp rack looks great. Is it supported at the bottom anywhere else besides the two seat hold down bolts at the drivers side 1/3rd? If not how sturdy is it?
It's very sturdy. I'm using 3/4 MDF and the brackets are solid with carriage bolts. It's not going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I noticed in the other thread you said your pac has noise, and you're still having issues with the MS8. It seems like you're pretty much on top of things and have tried all the easy stuff, have you tried hooking up an Ipod,etc to the aux in on the MS8? That would eliminate at least your source issues to the MS8 and let you concentrate on the MS8 itself.

Great install.
Thanks! Yes, getting noise from the system. Last night I ordered the PAC SNI-1 to see if that will help. I plan to do more testing tonight to see what I can find. I'm pulling the RCA's from the PAC to MS-8 and using another pair to see if maybe I have a bad cable. I'll do the same with the MS-8 to amp RCA's.

I'll have to find an aux source. I don't own an mp3 player other than my 4g smartphone and will have to find a 3.5 to RCA cable.

Also, just hit the buy buttons on the new Focals. I'll give them a try with the system and see if I get any quality improvement over the Kickers. I had the system cranked this morning heading to work with the processing on. It had a flat response but didn't sound bad once I gave the Kickers some volume to push.

What's the latest tracking on your MS-8? Waiting to see how you get yours set and maybe get a tip or two on slopes, etc that you find sound better. I 've read tons of pages on the DIY site til my eyes bled. Noticed your post there too. I want that McIntosh HU for sale on the site!!

Gotta run.
__________________
Previous Rams: 1954 C1-B6 Rodded, 1976 D100, 1994 RC, 1998 Supercharged EC, 2003 QC R/T Custom.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
erm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The amp rack looks great! I haven't played with an MS-8 but have considered putting one in.

Good luck getting it all sorted out!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2011, 03:53 PM
rlandon's Avatar
rlandon rlandon is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 258
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2WD
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
rlandon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
The amp rack looks great! I haven't played with an MS-8 but have considered putting one in.

Good luck getting it all sorted out!
Thanks, I may just need some luck! I guess depending on your music genre, mine being rock, I need SQ for some Floyd and thumping when I jam on something heavy. I was hoping the MS-8 would help set the interior much like the older (could be showing my age) white noise generators on EQ's to get a calibrated level per octave.

I ask myself is the MS-8 worth the costs? With the processing I can hear details that I missed before but the sound is flat, even with adjusting the built in EQ and tone controls. With the processing off, it definitely sounds amplified and puts out the power to the speakers and sub. This may take some getting used to and lots of additional tweaking. Hopefully the Focals will help also!!

I do have to say the Mopar/Kicker system is configured perfectly for the Ram and does a great job for such a small amp and sub amp. It rocks about as loud as the 700.5 I have now.

Back to doing the house chores while I'm out sick with the crud. Not much playing today with the system but maybe later.
__________________
Previous Rams: 1954 C1-B6 Rodded, 1976 D100, 1994 RC, 1998 Supercharged EC, 2003 QC R/T Custom.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 PM
rlandon's Avatar
rlandon rlandon is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 258
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2WD
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
rlandon is on a distinguished road
Default

Solved the noise issue with the PAC-CHY23. I bought the PAC SNI-1 Ground Loop Isolator and no more noise!

I also have a plan for the MS-8 to amp. The MS-8 has eight channels on the output. I bought the Kicker 700.5 to drive the 4 doors plus the sub by feeding it off amp 2 on the amp switch. The Kicker has sub inputs, why the heck don't I run two RCA's from the MS-8 to the sub inputs on the 700.5? DUH!
__________________
Previous Rams: 1954 C1-B6 Rodded, 1976 D100, 1994 RC, 1998 Supercharged EC, 2003 QC R/T Custom.

Last edited by rlandon; 10-06-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stereo Install - Speakers and Amps Krpto1973 2011 Dodge Ram Forum 15 04-29-2011 06:43 PM
My 2007 MYGIG install simply2cool Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video 18 02-07-2011 09:21 PM
Daytime running lights - how to install? kot333 2010 Dodge Ram Forum 14 11-20-2010 01:18 AM
2009 Crew Cab Install Log CGlines Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video 25 09-10-2010 11:19 PM
Rear speakers install bones64 Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video 12 01-02-2010 02:32 PM


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:05 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum