DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
ken99 is on a distinguished road
Default DIY An easy way to add Homelink

I've missed not having the Homelink option in my 2010 Ram 1500 SLT crew cab. Our Hyundai Sonata has Homelink and compass incorporated into the main rear view mirror, so I investigated the availability of aftermarket mirrors I could install in the Dodge. Turns out the same company (Mito Corp, http://www.mitocorp.com/) that supplies these mirrors to OEM manufacturers also makes them available for the aftermarket.

The Gentex line of auto-dimming mirrors come with various options such as compass, map lights, outside temp, backup displays and Homelink. The kit I ordered is the Gentex 41A (part #50-GENK41A), which only has the Homelink option. The kit provides the mirror with mount, detailed instructions, wiring pigtail, a telescoping wire cover, several T-Taps and plastic zip-ties. Cost was $169 ordered from Amazon with free shipping.

Mounting the mirror

The mount on the Gentex mirror is exactly the same as the OEM mirror, held in place with a torx set screw. Simply use a T20 bit or driver to loosen the screw, slip the old mirror off the windshield lug, slip the new mirror on and tighten the screw just snug. Takes less than a minute to perform this task.

Wiring the mirror

The mirror requires three connections, switched 12 VDC (ignition switch on), unswitched 12 VDC (constant) and ground. The pigtail comes with a plugin connector for the mirror and is 6-7 feet long. Why so long? The instructions suggest running the pigtail from the mirror to the headliner, across and down the A pillar and then tap into the harness near the main junction box under the dash. I decided this was over kill for a 4th generation Ram. Inspired by Bock's post describing the rewiring of a LiveLink module (http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...53&postcount=1), I assumed all the connections the mirror needed could be found in the overhead console. Bock describes removal of the console face from the ceiling. RamTech provides detailed instructions for removing the console face and description of the connectors found inside (http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...99&postcount=4).

Grab the console face by the edges on both sides about even with the rear window slider switch and pull straight down. You will swear you are about to break something when the brass clips pop loose. Slide the console back about an inch or two to clear the front hangers. Disconnect all the connectors and set the console face aside. I found it easier to first unplug the rear window switch from the console face and then disconnect the switch from the harness. With a multimeter, I checked and confirmed that the solid red wire on the flat black connector to the compass is unswitched 12 VDC and the pink w/ yellow stripe wire on the square orange connecter to the slider switch is switched 12 VDC. I found the solid black wire on the compass connector went to ground.

I shortened the mirror pigtail to ~18" in length and re-crimped shielded spad connectors. The front edge of the headliner is not sealed. Plug the pigtail connector into the mirror and feed the the other end over the headliner and into the the console mount. Connect the mirror pigtail with the T-Taps as shown.

Snapping the telescoping wire cover in place to cover the exposed portion of the pigtail and reinstalling the console face finishes the job.

Instructions also are provided for programing to both conventional and rolling code devices. The auto-dimming feature is a nice addition as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GENK41AKIT.JPG (41.6 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg OEM_MOUNT.JPG (45.2 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg EXPOSED_WIRES.JPG (75.5 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg T_TAPS.JPG (41.6 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg DONE1.JPG (38.7 KB, 275 views)

Last edited by ken99; 10-09-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: photos
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2011, 08:30 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

Very nice writeup!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:35 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mango Tango
Rep:19
BWG56 is on a distinguished road

nice job
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent idea and writeup, reps to ya.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
ken99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Very nice writeup!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG56 View Post
nice job
Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
Excellent idea and writeup, reps to ya.
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

Two items I forgot to mention in the original post;

1) The Gentex mirror can be programed to control three remote devices.

2) Disconnecting the compass module confuses it, requiring calibration. Instructions for calibrating the compass are in the owners manual.

Last edited by ken99; 10-09-2011 at 01:47 AM.