DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Red Crew, Hemi!!!!
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
flash105 is on a distinguished road
Default Oil filter change????

Anyone got any tips on getting the oil filter out on the Hemi???? Changed it, but it was not easy!!!
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x2
Trim Level: Crew Cab Outdoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
MrPEZO is on a distinguished road

Filter Wrench, but thats only for new, after its replaced it should come off alot easier now, the factory puts them on super tight!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

Yeah, used a strap and nudged it loose. Now I use K and N filters as they have that lug on the end of them that makes it easy to install/remove. Makes a world of difference. I don't jack up my truck to change the oil - able to get my hands on the filter and work it, but yeah, it's not in the most convenient location.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
ken99 is on a distinguished road

For once I got smart and used the free first-time oil change that the dealer provided with the truck. I let them get the original oil filter off instead of giving myself another hernia. Since then I've used a rack & pinion type wrench that fits a 3/8" ratchet wrench and grabs the canister from the bottom. What bugs me is the extra cup or so of oil that remains above the filter. I've tried bread or newspaper bags to contain this runoff with mixed success. Not since I changed the cartridge style oil filters on my dad's old GMC farm trucks have I experienced an engine this messy to change the oil filter.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi QC 2X4
Trim Level: SLT- Luxury&Security
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:28
Willbrewer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken99 View Post
snip... What bugs me is the extra cup or so of oil that remains above the filter... snip .
I agree. I changed my oil for the first time at 300 miles to drain out all the break-in metals and got a surprise when that cup of oil came out. Luckily I had a quart food storage bag around the filter (a trick I learned when I had my Cummins) and it caught most of the overflow.

Next time I'm going to find a small pan, like a small baking pan, and put it under the filter after I loosen it and before I spin it off. That should catch all the oil and hold the slimy filter on its way out of the engine compartment. That's the best idea I've come up with to catch the oil.

How do others here remove the filter without making a mess?

Bill
Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 RAM Crew
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:23
2BlueCrew is on a distinguished road
Default What were they thinking on this filter location?

I've been changing my own oil since the late 70's and never have I had such a problematic oil filter location (and relative to the suspension components below it). Today I did the second oil change on my RAM and what a mess. It was easy to get the Mobile-1 filter off as I used a cap-wrench to get it loose and then did the rest by hand. But once you start unscrewing this thing, boy does the oil begin to flow everywhere and drip right onto the suspension directly below.

Who has the best idea for catching this cup of oil? The plastic bag sounds good, but any other clever ideas. There is limited room for much of anything in there. Ideas ???
Old 12-19-2011, 11:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Dark Brown
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
2011RamCC is on a distinguished road

If you all think the Hemi is a pain to change the oil and filter, try a Nitro! Very little room. Very poor design, but I guess the engineers don't care about the folks who want to do it themselves. This was on a 2007 Nitro with the 3.7L engine.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPEZO View Post
Filter Wrench, but thats only for new, after its replaced it should come off alot easier now, the factory puts them on super tight!
MrPEZO speaks the truth, the factory filter was a biiit#h to get off. All future changes were alot easier since I installed the filter myself.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:19 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:72
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

The union auto workers dont get paid enough to add a film of oil to the filter before they spin it on. (personally, they`re way over paid in my opinion) They dont give a rats ass, the dealership or consumer is the next person inline to remove it when the time comes for the first oil change. Personally, i think its an inside joke between the manufactuer(s) and the dealerships... one is messin with the other... big joke to them.

Anyhow....
getting the original filter off isnt a big deal... alot depends on how and where (key word meening "where") you grip it to break it loose. I ALWAYS slide the oil filter "metal band type" wrench up to the highest part of the oil filter. The closer to the engine you get, the less force it takes to break it loose. (common sense) Think of it this way... how many times have you tried to break loose a nut or bolt with a really long extention on your rachet... the longer the extention is, the more torque you loose. Push that oil filter wrench as high as you can get it to go, trust me, the oil filter will break loose ALOT easier. I align the middle of the wrench right to the center of the oil filter flange mount... quik snap counter clockwise, filter now loose. I`ve changed many new ram truck oil filters, i`ve yet to have any problem breaking them free using my method. Just depends on where you put the tool to remove it. Those "end cap" type/style oil filter wrenchs... i`ve thrown every one of them in the garbage yrs ago. They actually make the job ALOT harder when the filter is on tighter than it should be. Ocassionally, i have an old snap-on band style filter wrench that use`s a 3/8ths drive ratchet to get to the filters in very limited space where my regular wrench wont fit. Ther again, proper location of the wrench used most effectively, works everytime.

As for draining the oil from the filter before removing it....
i made a metal diverter sheild that hangs from the top of the oil fliter and directs the "cup" of oil into my drainpan below. Please dont ask for pics of my oil diverter sheild, i cant get you any. I`ve never uploaded pics on the internet, and i`m not going to start today. It dosent take a rocket scientist to make a simple oil deflector. Just a plastic 1 gallon jug cut up to fit up in there will make a great oil deflector. Stick a piece of coathanger thru it and hang it up somewhere on the chassis to make it stay put until you`re done with the dripping oil.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:33 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

The factory filter on my '12 model apparently had the lug style end, so I just used a cast aluminum filter wrench turned by a normal ratchet...like I've done on all my vehicles with full size filters. I just loosened the filter to the point before it starts letting oil flow past the seal. I stuck a small plastic tray that could easily hold a quart of oil if necessary under the filter and let it sit there securely. I then spun the filter further off by hand until oil flowed out of it and left it attached. I left it to drain off all that excess oil for awhile. I removed the tray and then I spun the filter all the way off, leaving a rag sitting on the steering shaft for the remaining drops that fall. Not too messy and fairly easy.