DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:37
DWWHemiguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
The factory filter on my '12 model apparently had the lug style end, so I just used a cast aluminum filter wrench turned by a normal ratchet...like I've done on all my vehicles with full size filters. I just loosened the filter to the point before it starts letting oil flow past the seal. I stuck a small plastic tray that could easily hold a quart of oil if necessary under the filter and let it sit there securely. I then spun the filter further off by hand until oil flowed out of it and left it attached. I left it to drain off all that excess oil for awhile. I removed the tray and then I spun the filter all the way off, leaving a rag sitting on the steering shaft for the remaining drops that fall. Not too messy and fairly easy.
x2 Pretty much the way I did it on my Charger. Hope it works that easy on the Ram. Not enough miles yet.
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
SilverHemi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverHemi

i knwo this sounds crazy but its works i use a magnum condom..... i know i know its stupid but the dang thing is huge and usually can get most of it long enough til i get my oil container under there....basically just pull it out and have one handy....we all have experence with them an just do a quick put her on long enough to get he oil container i bought at autozone for like 7 bangos and ur good to pull it off and dispose.....like i said its crazy but it has owrked for me

Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crew Cab, 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red/Sandstone
Rep:91
dgard61 will become famous soon enough

The union auto workers dont get paid enough to add a film of oil to the filter before they spin it on. (personally, they`re way over paid in my opinion) They dont give a rats ass, the dealership or consumer is the next person inline to remove it when the time comes for the first oil change. Personally, i think its an inside joke between the manufactuer(s) and the dealerships... one is messin with the other... big joke to them.

You shouldn't be making statements when you don't know what you talking about. The filter isn't oiled because it's not in the SWI (Standard work instruction) which is set by the company. If the company decided it's not needed the worker isn't provided with the materials or tools to do it. It's got nothing to do with how much the worker is paid. Plus the Hemi engine comes out of Mexico and Mexican auto workers aren't unionized and I guarantee you their not overpaid. About auto workers being over paid, I promise you if you spent 1 week chasing cars/trucks on an assembly line with a cycle time of 47 seconds you wouldn't think you were overpaid. The plant I work in, the Trim, Chassis, Final lines. 98% of the jobs run at 100% capacity. That means if your shoe comes untied you don't have time to stop and retie it or your behind on the next car.
Vent Visor's, Bug Deflector, Chrome Fuel Door, Bak Flip G2 Tonneau Cover, Bed Extender, EZ Down Tailgate Dampener, Line X Spray in Box Liner, WeatherTech Winter Mats, Husky Moulded Mud Flaps, Billet Tech Oil Catch Can, 12" S/S Antenna Mast, Chrome T/G Handle, Mopar CAI, Painted Engine Cover, Billet Tech Polished Underhood Cap's, Front Window Tint, Billet Hitch Cover, Anti-Theft Valve Cap's, MGP Caliper Covers, Retractable S/S Stake Pocket Anchors, Mopar Trailer Brake Controller, Recon LED Light Bar, Polished Billet Lock Pins, Mopar S/S Door Sills, Interior LED's, Mopar LED Cargo Bed Lights, Billet Throttle Body Cover