DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Accessories - Dodge Ram Parts - Dodge Ram Performance - Registered Vendors! > Total Load Control - Dodge Ram Air Suspension

Notices

Total Load Control - Dodge Ram Air Suspension TLC™ is the patented air suspension for that solves the problems hauling or towing heavy loads with coil springs. Fits all 2009-14 RAM 1500 and just introduced for 2014 RAM 2500! No modification required; keep the coil springs. TLC also makes units for 02-13 RAM 2500 & 02-14 RAM 3500 with leaf springs. TLC adds over 5,000 lbs of lifting power to level any load or tow with the largest air springs on any full-size pickup – 9” Goodyear® dual bellows. Your truck will be safer, handle better and go faster around curves. TLC doesn’t interfere with the factory ride. You’ve never experienced the power of air bags until you try Total Load Control™. Easy to install; no drilling; fits leveled & body lifted trucks. We introduced TLC on the Z and have many happy Z customers. Get Total Load Control Today!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about
Default Comparison

Hi, I'm curious about your product I tow a 6x12 trailer and have a bit of sag when it's hooked up. I was looking at the AirLift system and I have heard positive reviews from those who have it. Why should I consider yours instead? I'm not being a smarta**; I'm genuinely interested. The Airlift can be had for around $100; yours for $700. Now yours certainly seems to be more heavy duty but do i need that? What is the difference in capabilities, ride quality etc.? Thank you for your response.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge RAM
Color: White
Rep:17
TLC John is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Total Load Control vs. Others

Highlandchef, thanks for your question and interest.

A comparison between Total Load Control™ and other systems is like comparing the proverbial apples and oranges.

TLC™ improves all aspects of vehicle safety, steering, handling, braking and ride - loaded and unloaded - not just when hauling or towing a heavy load. TLC’s air springs are so powerful that inflating them strengthens the back end and secures the center of gravity

Air bags inside coil springs, such as Air Lift 1000, and rubber springs such as Timbren, operate when a load is present and are basically “load helpers.”

TLC's 9" air springs are substantially more powerful than the air bags inside coil springs. Conservatively, TLC adds 5,000 pounds of lift. AirLift claims 1,000 pounds of lift.

As an aside, when it comes to air springs, bigger is definitely better. TLC's 9" air springs are the largest offered for a ½-ton truck and substantially more powerful than 6" air springs offered for ½-ton trucks such as pre-2009 RAM 1500. 9" air springs have over 3 times the volume of air as 6" air springs. 6" air springs also require up to 100 psi that makes them stiff and can make the ride stiff too.

TLC operates at low air pressures - 5-10 psi unloaded and 20-30 psi loaded - so they maintain flexibility and provide improved ride characteristics at all times.

If you look at the videos at TotalLoadControl.com, you’ll see how much road shock the air springs absorb (“Click here for videos” on the left side of the home page).

The unique feature of the TLC system is the air springs are only mounted on one end so they are free to inflate and deflate. In this way, their full force adds to the factory suspension without interfering with it. Yet, you can fully retract the air springs and resume driving on the factory suspension if you want (but, our customers prefer having the air springs engaged all the time and we think you will too).

Since traditional "helper air springs" are attached at both ends, the movement of the truck pulls the air springs apart and the air springs have been known to break. TLC’s air springs cannot break.

Most importantly, TLC improves the safety of your truck, 24/7.

TLC was recently tested on a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 at the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Racing near Phoenix, AZ. Here is what Champion driver Bob Bondurant said about TLC:

"With the air bags on, what it does, it pumps up the rear suspension; it stiffens it and transfers the weight forward; puts more weight on the front end, so you have less understeer; it pushes down on the rear tires, so there’s less oversteer as well. This truck handles a LOT better with the air bags on.”

The bottom line is this: 99+% of all pickups on the road have a simple leaf spring suspension design that hasn't changed in 50+ years. That's why pickups sag when hauling or towing heavy loads yet springs strong enough for heavy loads give a stiff, unpleasant ride. Total Load Control is the patented system that brings rear suspension technology into the 21st century and basically solves the problems associated with leaf spring suspensions.

The innovative RAM coil spring suspension gives a much better ride, but RAM is not #1 in load carrying. The RAM suspension plus TLC gives the best of both worlds and then some - because not only will your truck have the strength to level any legal load, but TLC improves the safety, handling, steering and ride of your already smoother coil springs.

Sure, TLC is more expensive than that "other" system, but it's more than worth it ... to have Total Load Control.

Last edited by TLC John; 10-05-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

I keep thinking and thinking about this system for my 2500 but since I already have airbags installed it makes it harder to justify the switch. On my application, the air bags are a separate component sitting between the axle and frame (with leaf springs of course) I understand your system is connected to the frame only and the bottom is lined up with a 'plate' or 'platform'.
What added benefit would I see If I were to switch to your system? I actually do have a friend who is buying a new RAM since he blew the turbo on his PSD 6.0 and is sick of the problems so I could sell him my setup and justify yours if the gains are worth it

Also, I see that you're having a pretty nice sale on the 1500 setup but the 2500 setup is $250 more Why is that?

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 05-27-2012, 07:59 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the PM Army, I appreciate the time you took.

One last question; might I be able to run air horns off the compressor too?

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Color: Bright Metalic Grey
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:72
LC Hauler will become famous soon enough

with no affiliation to TLC in any way . I have just purchased their kit for my Ram 1500, and am eagerly waiting it's arrival hahaha, i have done a lot of homework with airlift kits and I have to say, if you want a rugged built product, TLC is the way to go for any truck.

I will admit I was pretty much done looking at kits when 3 big deisel performance shops here in my city, all basically told me "I'll sell you a kit, but I won't install or warranty it....." all because the bags are in the springs and guys are tired of replacing them.... then these guys popped up and the fact the bag is outside of the springs in exactly what I need for what i'm pulling.