DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Rep:10
Commando57 is on a distinguished road

Damn.... Mine are 7.5" folded, 16" extended. So that isn't going to help a whole lot. I may go test drive a 1500 with those mirrors and see how she fits. I'll get back with you soon Art. And I think my post count is up, so I'll PM you what I find.
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2006
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah guess some trail and error here. Gotta figure your shaving off 2.5" on each side folded but your right. Won't know till you try

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: laramie
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
hemi4life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatlin View Post
I wanted to share my experience with those of you who may want to do this. I was not really happy with my regular mirrors since I pull a trailer frequently so I inquired with my dealer about getting towing mirrors and I was told they did not make any for the Ram 1500's. I got on the forums and did some digging and found a part number for the 2011 Ram 2500 trucks. Part numbers: 68033735AH & 68033734AH (Left & Right) these are the chrome model. I sent the truck in for a few other things and while it was in I told them to order those parts and install them. I got a call the next day informing me that the RAM 1500 doors were not really strong enough to support these mirrors and the Mopar module MAY not be designed to support this mirror. I started asking questions and then asked to speak with the mechanic and the mechanic said he had installed these mirrors before with no problems with the module and they could do something to make the door frame strong enough to support the mirror. I told him to go for it. These mirrors supposedly are heated with blinkers, and puddle lights in them I will let everyone know as soon as I get the truck back as to how everything went. The images below are part numbers I listed.

I just got a quote for this from a dealer. $650 a pop (I have same truck). 82210941 - AB MIRROR KI 01-076-002 is the entire line on the quote. Apparently its new and they couldnt do it before i was told. Its not a replacement but a accessory kit that makes them look and function exactly as the OEM trailor mirrors (factory 2012 ones do not fit apparently). He said they look the same and operate the same but are technically not a replacement.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Color: Black
Snowracer is on a distinguished road

Good news guys. I just left my Dodge dealer with 2 new towing mirrors installed! They look and work great. They flip up, they flip back, the electric mirrors work great, i have a new feature my old ones didnt have, heaters, and the chrome is awesome. 2 problems however. Neither the puddle lights or the blinkers work. The tech said they plug in correctly, and they have the same number of pins, but he feels I might need new modules, one for each door, at $50 apiece. And he couldn't guarantee that the new modules would work. He said he would contact Dodge and get their opinion, and if they didn't brush him off from something he felt they might see as more of a bother than a necessity, he would let me know. After saving $300 buying the mirrors from mopar-wholesale.com I guess I can afford to check into the modules. I will update when I learn more. Thanks for all your help. If anyone needs the stock electric, black, non heated mirrors let me know. Jeff
Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram HEMI
Rep:36
MEZERR is on a distinguished road

I really like that
Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Color: Black
Snowracer is on a distinguished road
Question No good news

The tech got back to me to say that Dodge says we wont be able to get the blinkers and puddle lights to work, even if we change the modules. Part of me said they told me these mirrors wouldnt fit this truck as well, so what do they know? The other part of me says mess with things and I could mess up something else, and maybe void the warranty? I have a friend that runs his own auto repair business looking into whether or not in line connections can be made to blinker wires and lighting wires. I will update you when I learn more, but not holding my breath.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowracer View Post
The tech got back to me to say that Dodge says we wont be able to get the blinkers and puddle lights to work, even if we change the modules. Part of me said they told me these mirrors wouldnt fit this truck as well, so what do they know? The other part of me says mess with things and I could mess up something else, and maybe void the warranty? I have a friend that runs his own auto repair business looking into whether or not in line connections can be made to blinker wires and lighting wires. I will update you when I learn more, but not holding my breath.
You've had quite the run-around with your mirrors.
I want to point out a few things that I've learned along the way:
1. When I factory ordered my 2011 Ram 1500 Sport, I "swapped" out the factory mirrors with the tow mirrors (there's an option to do so when you are building your truck at RamTruck.ca (sorry... not sure for you U.S. folks.)
With that there is no "modifications" that need to be done to make the mirrors fit. What a crock...
2. If your puddle lights and blinkers aren't working after the swap, you may need to have the dealer do a software update. Seriously though, I don't know why the Dodge techs don't know these things!! The wiring is already there just waiting... but like I said... you may need to get a software update/flash to get the puddle lamps/blinkers working. And you should try to get them working... they are cool, especially at night. Even when you are in the garage.

Don't settle!

-Dave
Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Rep:11
Mophead is on a distinguished road

I have replied to 3 posts now about mirrors. I have a 2012 2500 BigHorn with the tow mirrors, heat, electric adjust, puddle lamps and turn signals in black, I'm not sure but they may also have auto-dim (the rear view does). I'd like to trade for NON trailer towing with the same features, chrome would be a big plus. Like new only 3500 miles. I'm in Maryland.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Timberline Green
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
macdpd is on a distinguished road

I added the tow mirrors to my 2011 2500 ST and after complaining to Dodge I was able to get them to pay for half of the mirrors (after several emails and complaints about safety/vision problems while towing). I bought the mirrors through Mopar-Wholsesale and was assured by Dodge that they would fit. When I installed them they plugged right into the module but the puddle lamp/T-signal function did not work.
I took my Ram to the dealer and after a few hours I was informed that they were able to only get the puddle lamp option added to my build but the T-Signals will not work. (Dodge also paid for the flash of my computer for the puddle lamps). I called Dodge Customer Cares and told them about the T-Signal problem and I was told that a software program has to be written for trucks that added this option (tow mirrors) but it may not be available until Jan 2013?????
On Monday (10/1) I recv'd a call from the dealer that worked on my Ram and they told me the lead tech called Dodge. Dodge was willing to re-write my V.I.N. build sheet to get the T-signals working but there were no gaurantee that it would work and it also may cause other options to be turned on or off on my Ram.
I brought my Ram to the dealer yesterday, the lead tech had my Ram in and out of the shop in about a half hour and the T-signals are working great (No other options were affected either). According to Rob (tech), the only codes the dealer can add to a vehicle is "Dealer Added" accessories and this is why the tow mirrors can't be activated. Dodge itself has to re-configure your V.I.N. to reflect that your truck had come off of the line with these tow mirrors (which every Ram should have anyway).
Anyone addidng the tow mirrors with puddle/t-sig function that were not equiped from the factory will have to be a PITA to Dodge and the dealer to get this function added, it is worth the aggrivation in the end. These mirrors are great and no more blind spots when towing (not to leave out that they also look great also).
Old 10-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Flame Red
Rep:17
carpenter85 is on a distinguished road

I lucked out and found a set of laramie towing mirrors from a salvaged ram for $150. The "reinforcement comes in the form of a triangle shaped washer that goes on the inside of the door which i didnt get but i put them on myself but had a local custom bodyshop friend wire them up for me. i do not have the turn signals or puddle lights wired up yet but think im going to have the turn signal converted into a running light when i get a chance to order some roof clearance lights.