DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
jacruz2 is on a distinguished road

A guy on another forum was having this same issue and said it was a grounding issue but he hasn't logged into his account in over 2 months so I'm not able to get details. I've been busy with work so I haven't had the time to pull my headlights out and change out the plastic caps but I get a few days off here in a bit so I'll be taking it to Dodge hopefully here soon......I'm sick of everywhere I go people telling me my headlights out.
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Don't spend too much time looking for a grounding issue, as in your truck the headlight circuit doesn't connect to ground per say. The high, low and return wires all connect back to the TIPM, where even the 'ground' side is not a real ground. This is one area where typical circuit testing just doesn't work, and arbitrarily adding a ground can lead to catastrophic failure.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 PM

Yeah I found that out after I chased wires all the way back to the TIPM so then I asked the guy on the other board for more specifics but he hasn't logged in for a few months now. I hope that the Dodge tech could figure it out cause my EVIC isn't showing lights. Is there a way to check for codes without a code reader like some vehicles where you do some trick with the key and the check engine light blinks off the code numbers?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard of this key dance to get the codes, and have tried every one of them....no joy. So I finally bought a code reader.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-31-2011, 10:05 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4X4 Quad Cab
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
BlackJack is on a distinguished road

I figure it is the TIPM that kicked out the passenger side and I decided also to bring it in to the dealer ship to have it scanned and reset. Since I installed the decoders/relay after I kicked it out hopefully the decoders will work into tricking the system and let the lights on after the reset. Wish me luck. I will post the result Friday night to help others with this problem.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Just some guy in Canada

I'm looking forward to the final results. This is one of those things that requires the dealer scan tool, and some dealers are not overly friendly when it comes to mods, especially if they directly or indirectly cause the system to do funny stuff. I'm fortunate in being able to work with my dealer and the tech with stuff like this, as they also want to learn how some of these things affect the system. I guess they are a little more 'progressive' in their thinking. I hope yours is similar....the information gathered from something like this good for both the end user and the service department.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:12 AM

Well I hope you have a solution before I bring my truck in I usually have to bring up RRTs so my dealer can check into them and my last issue was with my glued on third brake light. I ended up cracking it trying to pry it off to change a bulb because my dealer decided to glue it to the truck and they got all offensive with the word "glue" the service rep kept saying special dodge sealant and when I asked for the part number on this special Dodge sealant so I can "reseal" my tail light it ended up being your common over the counter average parts store sealant "A.K.A. Glue". Lets just say the service rep didn't know what to say to me after I asked is sealant just a fancier word for GLUE?

I hope blackjack can figure it out before I go in so I can at least point them in the rite direction.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Well just came back from the dealer and no joy apparently they tried resetting the TIPM cause it was showing that the circuit was open and they tried changing the bulb all with no luck. So now I have to wait for Thursday because the electrical guru only works on the weekdays.

I'm hoping they resolve this issue and they are gonna charge me 150 just to diagnose the problem. I'll get reimbursed if they find that it is no fault of mine because I have painted headlights so they have proof that I've removed my headlights at some point.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4X4 Quad Cab
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
BlackJack is on a distinguished road

My appointment was pushed back to next Wednesday. Hopefully I will have more luck. I will keep my HID's in regardless and pay what ever to get them going. I am not worried about the warranty it is more about having better lighting for night driving. I was wondering Jacruz2 did you have a decoder/relay installed with you HID's?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 AM

I purchased my kit on another forum and it came with cancelers. I just asked the company to throw in whatever is needed for it to not flicker or throw codes. Well please post your findings when your truck is fixed just in case my dealer tries to F me cause today they tried to charge me for a new bulb even thou they didn't fix my light.