DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
jacruz2 is on a distinguished road

blackjack - Any update on your problem?
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4X4 Quad Cab
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
BlackJack is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have the final verdict on my problem. It is not good. My TIPM is fried. So the future looks bleak for you Jacruz2. They have ordered the part and will call me to have it installed when it arrives. So I will be running around for a little while longer with one eye.
Funny thing is that they never said I would have to remove my HID's. I will keep you posted on the out come of this repair. I think I might just opt to get a harness to get them running as it makes sense that the TIPM won't be affected in this configuration as it only needs to power the relay switch as oppose to the lights as we have thm installed now. Hopefully the new TIPM won't fry when they install it.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

If either of you guys have to pay (off warranty) for a replacement TIPM, don't let them keep the old one....sell it to me. I am an electronics person by trade, and am trying to get my hands an assortment of IPM/TIPM units with various issues to determine if some issues can be corrected. If you have a defective TIPM, I am willing to toss a few bucks your way just to give this cat a kick.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 11-10-2011, 01:16 AM

Well if it is the TIPM the service guy already said it will be covered under warranty. I talk to him after they tried changing my bulbs and we started talking about a grounding issue. I told him that I pray it isn't the TIPM and he said if it is it will be covered under warranty. I have an 09 with 27K so I hope its covered and Brad I'll let you know my appointment is tomorrow at 1:00 so I'll be posting the dealers findings tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Well I just got my truck back from the dealer and I also need a new TIPM apparently they are on back order. The service rep said I'm number 52 in line for a new one and he said he is going to try and push it up by saying its an ORV(off road vehicle) I guess that means that truck will be sitting at the dealership????? They have no idea how long it will take to come in since they need so many but I'll keep this thread updated.

I wonder if were gonna see a RRT for TIPMs 52 sounds like a major issue and that's not counting how many were already replaced causing them to be on back order.

Last edited by jacruz2; 11-10-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:11 AM

What I don't understand is if my TIPM is screwed why is it that everything else on it functions? Here is a question for Brad. If I install a harness and attach the pos, and neg to it and have a relay activated from my truck OEM lighting would this save my next TIPM?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

If you use a relay to operate the lights, and trigger the relay with the lighting output of the TIPM, the load on the TIPM will be so minimal that it will hardly be noticed.....which will likely cause a new problem. The TIPM is designed to test the lamps for integrity, and to warn you if the lamp is not working properly. If you do not take care of the problem promptly, it will likely shut the power off to that circuit and require a reset from the dealer to bring it operational again. IMO...PITA! This is one of the reasons why some people that have used a trigger relay connected to one side, end up with the other side not working when they change back to the OEM lights, and require a dealer flash to get it going again. I guess the computer figures that if your not using it, it might as well be disabled.

Having said that, if the trigger circuit also supplied a load to the TIPM that kept it happy, then this should be a non-issue.....or if the dealer can program the TIPM to disable the 'testing' portion and just simply turn the power on when requested, the problem goes away.

I am not sure what the minimum power draw requirement is to keep the TIPM happy, NOR am knowledgeable on whether or not the dealer can program the testing 'off'. I've never needed either on my vehicles, so never perused a solution.

Sorry I can't be much help here.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
RamRI216 is on a distinguished road

I had a headlight issue (twice - left side) with my 09 Ram and it turned out to be the TIPM the first time and a bad TIPM connection the second time. The lights were stock, the fix was done under warranty.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 PM

Hello dodge brothers,
I finally got my truck fixed. It feels good to have two headlamps running again. I made a deal with the dealer that if it was in fact the HID's that caused the problem I would pay for a new TIPM. So they installed it in with both my HID's installed and everything worked liked a charm. It did not fry it. So that proves that the first TIPM did not burn due to the HID's. However, for anyone in the future please disconnect the battery, do not compare HID and halogen on the same circuit do a full install. Always have a canbus decoder/ relay installed. Before putting them to power. As I think that was the reason for my issue and not the HID's themselves as they work fine with no flicker or codes nothing. I run the fat ballast with the decoder between the ballast and the bulb only for low beams. No wire splicing or harness all plug and play. I hope this helps everyone out there.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 AM

Just got mine swapped out today and its nice to have two headlights again I'm a little skeptical about putting my HIDs back in just yet. I think I'll roll around for a few weeks and make sure all is good before I go messing with it. I think that if I do install the HIDs again I'll cancel my illuminated approach and stop putting the headlights to auto as I've read that this also causes issues with HIDs.

I'm was running the HIDXtra kit with a slim ballast and capacitors in place never had a flicker problem or any other weird issues like radio acting crazy or any warning lights in the EVIC. Just one day while walking out to my truck I hit the unlock button and noticed my passenger headlamp was out.

Blackjack - Did your dealer ever talk about what would happen if the issue were to continue? I was in a rush to get my kids after my truck was done and I didn't really get to talk with the service rep. I'm just wondering how many times this TIPM has to go out before I have to start paying for it. Cause it doesn't really sound like they fixed an issue rather just change an already faulty piece of equipment out for something that could be faulty as well, I guess only time will tell.

Last edited by jacruz2; 12-13-2011 at 03:14 AM.