DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale155 View Post
That looks great, dodgert...nice looking pooch too! We've got two Weims and a mutt, and I think the wife's mad cause she "assumed" I was going to put a topper on my truck so they could ride in back (sic).

Thanks for the pics and info.
Ya n/p and he only gets to chill in there when i work on it he gets to ride in her 4runner not taking the chance of his raptor claws ripping my leather lol.
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright White CC
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
gale155 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgert View Post
Ya n/p and he only gets to chill in there when i work on it he gets to ride in her 4runner not taking the chance of his raptor claws ripping my leather lol.
Our dogs ride in my wife's 02 PT Cruiser Limited, which we modded for dog hauling when it was brand new (back seat removed, full-length cargo liner with carpet on top). Our male Weim, however, insists on riding in the front seat, and sneaks his way up there the first chance he gets. I've told the old lady that it's just a matter of time before he damages the leather or suede, but so far not a scratch. Amazingly, her PT still looks new inside and out (only 45K miles).
Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:31
Rise Captain is on a distinguished road

I did Herculiner for my bed and it came out nice.. Will post pics if wanted

20% Tints, SS 409 Custom Exhaust, Stubby Antenna, 6K 55w DDM HID's in HI's Lows & Fogs, LED Interior & Exterior Lights, Recon Tails, Red Painted Emblems, Plasti-Dipped Grille, Mopar Racing Stripes, 22" Rockstars - 305/45/22 Nitto 420's, Two 12'' Alpine Type R's Under Rear Seat in a FoxBox
Old 10-20-2011, 03:08 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
Trim Level: Laramie Quad Cab
Color: Bright Silver - PS2
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
CBR Dude is on a distinguished road

This is the age old question, which is better. It all depends on usage. I have the 8 ft bed. The drop in which I have, I was able to get for 303.60 from my local dealer before taxes. It was not in stock and I had to wait about a week to get it. The spray in after market was 500.00 before taxes. Yes, it requires the paint to be roughed up so that it will stick properly. It was quoted by Line-X and not the dealer.

I asked the same question before I did the deed and got all kinds of answers back. The drop in is great if you’re really going to put the bed to work, it takes the abuse and the water channels out nicely except underneath. Yes, it may grow rust and rub, but I’ll be dead and gone before that happens or the truck will. The spray in was 200.00 more, but does not resist dents like the drop in. It will show a nasty ding if you drop a cinderblock into the bed vs the drop in. Items will not slide around like the drop in. You can get a bed mat. Made by Bed Rug that attached via “Christmas tree studs” to the drop in, if you want the look, but it does not dry well if you place items on it, as it’s like a big sponge. They claim it does not stain if you spill stuff on it, but I’m not so sure of that thought process. You can also install a rubber mat over the spray in to help detour those dents.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright White CC
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
gale155 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR Dude View Post
This is the age old question, which is better. It all depends on usage. I have the 8 ft bed. The drop in which I have, I was able to get for 303.60 from my local dealer before taxes. It was not in stock and I had to wait about a week to get it. The spray in after market was 500.00 before taxes. Yes, it requires the paint to be roughed up so that it will stick properly. It was quoted by Line-X and not the dealer.

I asked the same question before I did the deed and got all kinds of answers back. The drop in is great if you’re really going to put the bed to work, it takes the abuse and the water channels out nicely except underneath. Yes, it may grow rust and rub, but I’ll be dead and gone before that happens or the truck will. The spray in was 200.00 more, but does not resist dents like the drop in. It will show a nasty ding if you drop a cinderblock into the bed vs the drop in. Items will not slide around like the drop in. You can get a bed mat. Made by Bed Rug that attached via “Christmas tree studs” to the drop in, if you want the look, but it does not dry well if you place items on it, as it’s like a big sponge. They claim it does not stain if you spill stuff on it, but I’m not so sure of that thought process. You can also install a rubber mat over the spray in to help detour those dents.
Thanks for that info. I'm really not going to use the bed for heavy-duty hauling consistently...maybe once in a blue moon, but not very often. I think I'm leaning towards the Mopar version of the Bed Rug. I'll just have to try and forget that it's held in place with Velcro. I really do hate that stuff, but out of sight - out of mind, as they say.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew
Color: red
old amateur is on a distinguished road

I've been having the same issue with choosing between bedliners and spray ins. Can't get over the idea of scuffing up the paint for a spray in and I don't like the idea of a drop in moving around scratching the paint either. The 'plan' is to install a bed matt with the extra pieces (the one I bought was 4 inches too long) will be used fore and aft the wheel wells and a piece on top the wheel wells. A drop in will be placed on top after a liberal spray of rust proof. This will keep the drop in from contacting the bed directly and offer me the added ruggedness of the drop in. A little trimming will be required and I lose a little space.
I won't be climbing around back there so I'm not too concerned about my knees!

Thoughts?

Last edited by old amateur; 10-21-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew
Color: red
old amateur is on a distinguished road

FYI,

I bought an after market bedliner for $225 (including taxes); $55 for a 1/2 inch rubber bed mat and $20 for two cans of Rust Check.
Cleaned the bed, liberally sprayed the Rust Check 'everywhere' concentrating on the seams, cut the bed mat to size and used the excess to cover the 4 corners of the bed. Dropped in the bedliner with a relief cut in each upper corner to help with weather expansion.
Total investment-$295. I have the stength of the bedliner without it scratching my bed!