DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn - Crew Cab
Color: Sagebrush Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Vacek is on a distinguished road
Default Aftermarket Head Unit Options (comparable to 430N)

All,

What are some good options for a replacement head unit for my 2012 Ram ?

I was looking to buy a 430N , but I'm sure there are better aftermarket options out there and would like to hear some experiences.

I'd like something as close to plug and play as possible .. Something with NAV. I am not looking to replace any amps or speakers if possible.

I have Uconnect, & Sirius ... and would like to keep the USB port in the glove box as welll as have a din connection for iPods.

Suggestons ?

V
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:309
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

I think your going to be hard pressed to get EVERYTHING on your list. Idk if you could find a way to keep your glove box plug, but I'm sure you could find a nav headunit that had an iPod hookup in the rear that you could run into the center console and has a USB plug in the front. Find you local audio shop (NOT BEST BUY, that will turn into nothing by an over expensive headache) and ask questions and let them no what you want. A double din nav unit with lots of bells and whistles does cost a pretty penny though, be ready to spend a grand or so for the unit and possibly a few hundred on install if they won't do it for free with a large purchase and you don't want to tackle it yourself

If you find a headunit you like in person and are comfortable with the install you can buy it online and save yourself a few pennies

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 10-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much about the head units, but i do know that they have a different DIN SIZE than is usually called Standard
Most all the people that mod the radio do a little trimming & open the dash to take a Double Din

The DIN sizes for car head units come in two standards.
The single DIN measures 180 x 50 mm or The standard for radio is set at 2" x 7”
the double DIN 180 x 100. . For a double DIN radio it is 4” x 7"

some Chrysler and GM stereos are 3" tall (DIN-and-a-half) or 3" x 7"

when you are ready to shop, look in our vendors section to see if there are any that sell radios & components

there is a lot of info at this site,
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CfcrHY8..._pointers.html

some radios that would work in my 2009 quad cab
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/....html?tp=20212
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 SLT CC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:24
SeattlePete is on a distinguished road

I recommend sticking with the REN factory head unit and upgrading the speakers and amp. Factory is much less likely to get stolen than an aftermarket Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:48 PM
erm

I like the idea of upgrading with an OEM head unit (did the same thing in my truck) and you won't have to add any harness adapters to do so unless the unit you upgrade to needs one for the iPod. That adapter is plug and play.

If you don't have NAV now you'll need an antenna for that function to work. Most aftermarket head unit companies offer one that is compatible with their products.

If you go to an aftermarket head unit, you will need an adapter for it to work with the stock harness.

So you are OK with the sound but want more functionality in the head unit?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:02 PM

Yes, The sound is fine .. just looking for more functionality than the 130 offers. It seems so 1980's.

My BMW Coupe has killer sound, so if it is that I want, I'll just hop in that and go for a ride

I like what the 430N offers , but thus far have been unable to find a decent deal on one. Seems everyone thinks they are worth 1500-2000+. Any tips? If I want to spend that much, I'd go to the stealer and pick it up.

Thanks for the replys.
V
Old 10-07-2011, 04:04 PM
erm

That's the problem with an OEM unit...very expensive compared to aftermarket units with the same, or more, functions. Sometimes they pop up on eBay. That's where I got my OEM upgrade.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:36 PM

Anyone think $700 ish is too much to pay for a new 430N ?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 PM
erm

Really??? $700 for a new one? It's a dang good price if it works.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Stay Tuned I'm working on it.