DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough
Unhappy USB Port in Glove Box - Need Help Please

Spent three hours last night trying to get the USB port in the glove box of my 2011 Laramie to work. My radio is the 430N RBZ.

Took a brand new Western Digital 320GB portable hard drive out of the package, put a few songs on it to test and plugged it into the glove box USB. Nothing. Radio did not even recognize it was attached so no error message or anything. Tried plugging it into the USB on the front of the radio and nothing there either.

Realized the default format of new drives are NTSF and I had read on another thread that reformatting the drive to FAT32 is better as it will play all file types, including iTunes mp4. Finally found a way to reformat to FAT32 (note: if you use Windows 7 on your PC, you have to download third party software to do this). Dumped most of my music on there, including artist folders and individual songs. Plugged it in to the glove box port and nothing. Plugged it into the front USB and it recognized the drive and would play the songs not located in a folder. It showed the folder names but when I opened a folder, it would not show any of the songs inside.

In the end, I want to put all of my music, organized by artist on the drive, connect and store it in the glove box and use the head unit to control it. The USB seems to work because when I plug in my iTouch, the radio recognizes it's there and give me the usual error message so I don't think it is the port.

My frustration is mounting. Any and all help/suggestions would be most welcome.
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: 2 Tone White
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
Detroit Sparky is on a distinguished road

Wow! What happened to the days of turning on the radio, waiting for the tubes to warm up then cranking up the reverb in the rear window!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Sparky View Post
Wow! What happened to the days of turning on the radio, waiting for the tubes to warm up then cranking up the reverb in the rear window!
Trust me, I am missing those days right about now!
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 05-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie 4 x 4
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
TexasParamedic is on a distinguished road

I have / had the same problem with a 730N (RHR) and after doing a little research this is what i found.

The power consumption of a typical flash drive is very low something like 60-80ma, much lower than the portable hard disk upwards of 500ma, due to there being no moving parts inside a flash drive. I read in the manual that the radio will only allow so much power to the usb but I can not find it again. The Ipod also works because it has it's own power to supplement what the radio will not provide if needed, but usually is much less then what the radio will allow. Loaded most of my music on a thumb drive and it worked like a charm.

Not the most technical answer but it is a answer to the problem.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: QC Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
BBRam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Sparky View Post
Rear seat speaker w/reverb - now that was the ultimate system!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab 4X4
Color: Deepwater Blue Pearl
Rep:26
Amdukias is on a distinguished road

I thought that the connection in the glove box was an iPod/iPhone hookup, and that for data transfer you use the usb on the front of the radio itself.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasParamedic View Post
I have / had the same problem with a 730N (RHR) and after doing a little research this is what i found.

The power consumption of a typical flash drive is very low something like 60-80ma, much lower than the portable hard disk upwards of 500ma, due to there being no moving parts inside a flash drive. I read in the manual that the radio will only allow so much power to the usb but I can not find it again. The Ipod also works because it has it's own power to supplement what the radio will not provide if needed, but usually is much less then what the radio will allow. Loaded most of my music on a thumb drive and it worked like a charm.

Not the most technical answer but it is a answer to the problem.
Thanks for that information! Had not thought about the amount of power required to run the portable hard drive. Will test it with my flash drive tonight. The other resolution might be to slowly add my music to the 30GB hard drive in the radio.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdukias View Post
I thought that the connection in the glove box was an iPod/iPhone hookup, and that for data transfer you use the usb on the front of the radio itself.
I can't say for sure but it seems like any USB port could be used for almost anything that will connect to it. Will have to try hooking Blackberry up to the glove box port and see if it recognizes it. I will try to find that thread I saw earlier where another member used a portable hard drive.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Laramie 4 x 4
Rep:14
TexasParamedic is on a distinguished road

The glove box USB in mine worked with my thumb drive and blackberry. It recognized it as aux, but played all music fine. I was able to get my portable HD to work but only once.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Decided to take the long road and copy my files to a thumb drive and use the front USB to copy them to the HDD. Not my first preference but the goal is the same. Thanks to all who provided some input. Hopefully they will get the latest Apple updates out soon and we can all start using our other devices like we are supposed to.