DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:34
johnnyG is on a distinguished road
Unhappy i cant find power lock answer

so i go to work in the morning. i go out to move my truck and i cant get in. i couldnt turn the key to get in or use the fob. i checked all the wires in the boot i followed the wires in the door. i did read that it could be the actuator or solenoid. is there anything i can do to find out what it really is. i have looked everywhere. and if it is one of those or they are the same. is there anyone that can post a part number and a how to remove and replace. i really cant pay a dealer to do this. any help would be awesome. i did read other threads of people that had this problem and seems they got fixed with no real answer. closest thing i found was someone using aftermarket part on a gen 2. i would like to stick to oem. please help. oh yeah its the drivers door.
SC 3865, K&N CAI, Fastman TB, Magnaflow Y to 18", sonnax, Zeon LTZs, Bilstein HDs, LEDs everywhere, sylvania ZXE heads and fogs, shorty antenna, all aftermarket audio and subs, linex, ez down tailgate and lots and lots of love.
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:28
RedneckMechanic is on a distinguished road

If you couldn't turn the key, it sounds more like the cylinder or the linkage is locked up somehow... The key should bypass anything electrical to get the door open... I'd pull your door panel and poke a flashlight in there and look around. Let me know if you find anything... I can probably get you an OEM part number for whatever you need...
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

give your door key, not the lock, a shot of POWDERED GRAPHITE
then insert the key into the lock
the reason to use the key method is that it is too easy to pack the lock with graphite & then you can't even force the key into it
auto parts stores usually carry the powdered graphite in a squeeze tube, so does Home Depot
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-11-2011, 07:28 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:34
johnnyG is on a distinguished road

thank you both for the help. it was the door latch. a part that costs 55 online and 75 at the dealer. i am impatient and the guy on the phone at the mopar online parts site was very rude and seemed very uninterested in what i had to say. the guy at the dealer was very helpful and understanding. so i went ahead and spent the extra money on customer service. i even told the guy on the online store that they are a supporter of this site and he had no idea what i was talking about. 55372851AA is the part number for my VIN in case this happens to anyone else.
SC 3865, K&N CAI, Fastman TB, Magnaflow Y to 18", sonnax, Zeon LTZs, Bilstein HDs, LEDs everywhere, sylvania ZXE heads and fogs, shorty antenna, all aftermarket audio and subs, linex, ez down tailgate and lots and lots of love.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:28
RedneckMechanic is on a distinguished road

Glad you got it figured out.

Last edited by RedneckMechanic; 10-12-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: mistyped