DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: blue
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
streetHEMI is on a distinguished road
Default Hate the tpms....

So a long time ago i needed tires (i bought the ram used) and the tires looked decent on the rear, well i guess a hemi loves tires... (I wasn't used to the power yet..) but i needed some tires and the truck wouldn't make it out of town and i hate buying tires from in town (i dont trust the shop that sells them).. So i had to grab the keys to my grandmas cadi (2010 dts) she wasnt to pleased, i took care of storage one in the trunk and one in the back seat wraped up (i only deal with discount tire)

Had the tires instilled by a small shop about a couple of weeks later tpms came on (so checked pressure and its fine went back to same shop and they couldn't fix it due to they didnt know how, its a small tire repair/oil change place...

Now it does this every now and then
the message tells me my tpms needs fixing..

for starters i don't really care about the tpms really it takes 5min or less, to check pressure.. Nice to check quickly but mine is never accurate even though i put all tires the same (using my gauge "electronic ")
1. can a tuner fix my issue? Would be getting one but life comes first lol...
2. If i take it to a shop (discount tire) and I choose not to fix it can i get my truck back (i heard somewhere that it's against the law due to its unsafe..) maybe from there website.
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2015, 10:34 PM

Every start up it will stay at 0 very seldom it shows true
Old 07-25-2015, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Black Pearl coat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:240
Ramzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura about

Sensors in the tires run off a battery built in them. It is possible the battery is weak and the sensor needs to be replaced.

The batteries will last on average 6 to seven years. I just replaced my tires and all sensors last year as they were all 6 years old.

Unfortunately the batteries are built in so the whole sensor needs to be replaced. I don't recall seeing a tuner that would disable this system, it is a safety system requirement on all vehicles now so disabling it could present huge liability issues.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
ND RAM is on a distinguished road
Default Question!!!

Is this a RAM 1500 you bought? If it is, why on earth are you running that much air pressure in them? On my 20" tires, door sticker says 35 lbs..

I have a left rear tire that is ALWAYS 4 to 5 lbs. different than the rest of the tires. I bring it up to match the other tires and a week or so later it's back to 4 to 5 lbs. lighter. Been doing that since new.

Had the tire pulled off twice at $22 a time and they can't find any leaks in the tire or valve stem.

Possibly a leaky rim??? Out of warranty for that kind of stuff, so don't want to go on a "replace and see what happens" route as that can get pretty expensive.

This kind of stuff keeps me awake at nights!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:10 AM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:15
Obsessed is on a distinguished road

First off, taking pictures in motion is dangerous.

If the shop doesn't know how to take care of TPMS, I'd probably find another shop. It's been standard on all cars in the US for almost 10 years now...if they can't catch up with the the standard 10 years later I don't want to know their business practices.

Take it to a shop that actually knows what they are doing and have it swapped out. It's a quick and painless process.

The reason you're burning through your tires is probably related to your pressure. That would cause a huge bulge in the center of the tread, causing it to wear prematurely. The fuel savings doesn't offset the cost of tires in these trucks.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND RAM View Post
Is this a RAM 1500 you bought? If it is, why on earth are you running that much air pressure in them? On my 20" tires, door sticker says 35 lbs..

I have a left rear tire that is ALWAYS 4 to 5 lbs. different than the rest of the tires. I bring it up to match the other tires and a week or so later it's back to 4 to 5 lbs. lighter. Been doing that since new.

Had the tire pulled off twice at $22 a time and they can't find any leaks in the tire or valve stem.

Possibly a leaky rim??? Out of warranty for that kind of stuff, so don't want to go on a "replace and see what happens" route as that can get pretty expensive.

This kind of stuff keeps me awake at nights!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not even sure what mine is supposed to be lasted i checked 45psi on my gauge, so far got 9k or more on these (hard miles) and still running strong... I do have a tire issue though on the rear but last I checked open diff=all the power to one wheel syndrome

Last edited by streetHEMI; 07-31-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
First off, taking pictures in motion is dangerous.

If the shop doesn't know how to take care of TPMS, I'd probably find another shop. It's been standard on all cars in the US for almost 10 years now...if they can't catch up with the the standard 10 years later I don't want to know their business practices.

Take it to a shop that actually knows what they are doing and have it swapped out. It's a quick and painless process.

The reason you're burning through your tires is probably related to your pressure. That would cause a huge bulge in the center of the tread, causing it to wear prematurely. The fuel savings doesn't offset the cost of tires in these trucks.
Ha thats funny. yes it's dangerous but i did it in a safe manor

I have a major trust issue with shops around here (example i paid cash for my inspection sticker (back before the switch) they sent a bill/letter saying I didn't pay them)), this is a first for me, my last car even the gmas cadi never had an issue with them. Both above 2010 date...

I will see about getting this fixed and see about my psi, now this tpms cant make its mind up 90%of the time

Not sure what my psi was when i bought it but i know the rear tires i had on there (it was a good brand) were half life or so they lasted about 2weeks (hard use getting a feel for my truck (had a little 1.8 cruze ) but these good years armor track they handle everything i have thrown
Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 PM

Gotta love that tpms though...