DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the torque converter problem?
Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed. 191 32.48%
No, I have not noticed this problem. 285 48.47%
I can't determine for sure if I have this problem. 112 19.05%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Well, I'm not the converter engineer, so this information may not be entirely accurate, but to my understanding this was a standard spline tolerance, which we've used since we introduced turbine dampers in the RFE torque converter. The problem is that some vehicles are more sensitive to this noise than others. Every spline has to have some amount of manufacturing tolerance in the tooth size and spacing. So as the tooth size varies between the two mating parts, some will have more backlash and some will have less. But in order for the parts to go together freely, there has to be some amount of backlash. To fix this noise issue, we had to change the tooth size on the turbine hub so that this joint is now a press fit (interference fit) with NO backlash at all!

Sorry, Blackthunder, that you had such hassles getting the problem corrected!

As to the question of using a 2012 converter in a 2011 (or earlier) truck, the quick answer is no, this won't work. The reason is twofold:

1) The new (2012 MY) converter has a long-travel turbine damper, which allows us to fully engage the torque converter clutch (TCC) at lower engine speeds (than in previous MYs). It is this wider range of TCC engagement that gives you the majority of the fuel economy gain. So while simply bolting in the 2012 converter may give you some fuel economy improvement (I'm not sure how the converter efficiencies compare when running with the TCC unlocked), your PCM won't engage the TCC at lower speeds (like it will in a 2012 truck) so you won't see the full gain.

2) The 2012 converter uses larger (thread diameter) bolts than the 2011 converter. The holes in the 2011 flexplate are too small for the 2012-style bolts to fit through. In addition, the offset in the flexplate is slightly different, so if you install a 2012 converter using a (drilled out) 2011 flexplate, you may have the converter rubbing against the transmission pump cover (not a good thing).

I believe you could physically bolt in a 2012 flexplate (and converter, together) into a 2011 truck (I haven't checked, but I believe the crank bolt pattern and the starter ring gear teeth and location are the same), but overall I'm not sure you'd get enough fuel economy benefit to justify it. Also, the 2012 converter's performance curve (K-factor) and stall torque ratio are slightly different from 2011, and I don't know whether changes would need to be made in the PCM software to accomodate this. And finally, using the "wrong" converter would probably be a no-no as far as EPA regulations, CARB, etc. are concerned (although I doubt most of you would lose much sleep over that!).
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Thanks TransEngineer for your input and sharing your knowledge in regard to this issue.

It is nice to finally have a technical explanation as to what is behind the torque converter noise.

Can you tell us if there is an official TSB out for this?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 AM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthunder View Post
... Can you tell us if there is an official TSB out for this?
No, I cannot find a published TSB for the converter noise issue. Although it seems like most dealers are aware of the problem, and the fix.

I did, however, find a TSB for a PCM reflash, which corrects some transmission shift complaints on 2011 trucks (built before 2/1/11 or MDH of 0201xx). That TSB is 18-023-11, and it corrects the following issues:
  • High engine RPM's needed before vehicle will upshift from 3rd to 4th (5.7L and 4.7L engines)
  • Harsh 1st to 2nd gear upshift (5.7L and 4.7L engines)
  • Unexpected or busy downshift while coasting between 45-48 mph (Ram 1500 5.7L engines only)
So if you experience these issues, you can get the PCM reflashed to correct them. If your truck has been reflashed already, there should be an Authorized Modification label under the hood (near the VECI label) noting the reflash, and showing this TSB number as the authority.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
khakiforever is on a distinguished road
Default Problems

First off thanks to everyone for the info on this site. Bought my 2011 SLT in late September.
I have been hearing something for awhile around 60kmh and and again around 80kmh (1400-1600 RPM's).
A quick call to the Dealer and they said to give it a little time to break in, and possibly that I was not used to MDS. (Never had a vehicle with MDS before).
I brought 'er in yesterday after my wife after driving it had mentioned the noise several times. Then I knew that it was not just me. The Tech heard the noise right away.
They flashed the old girl (all of 2500kms) for 2 issues. On the drive home it was worse, AND more noticeable. I will be stopping by later today and give the Service Manager the Case number and see what they can do from there.
So far the Service Dept. has been great. Hopefully They can fix it up quick. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LU229 View Post
Some are saying the replacement torque converter made no difference,
and then some have said it made it worse.
And you say, the "2012 models should not exhibit this problem"...???
So you really dont know if it will or not...????
If the replacement converter made no difference (or made it worse), then there are two possibilities:
1. Dealer installed an incorrect (original-style turbine hub) converter, instead of a revised one with press fit spline, or
2. Owner was hearing some other noise which he / dealer mistook for converter warble.

A revised (press fit turbine hub) converter WILL correct this noise. You can't rattle a spline that has zero backlash. I should note, however, that it is not unheard of for Mopar to have mispackaged parts (right label on box, wrong part inside), so if someone did get the wrong converter I'm not necessarily blaming it on the dealer.

If you want to verify that you have the correct part, check for a barcode label on the converter itself, and check the part number on that label against the ones I posted earlier. Note however (as I FORGOT to note originally! ) that Mopar sells converters as kits (converter plus 4 new bolts), so the Mopar part number for the kit is not the same as the production converter number. Here is the decoder guide:

4.7L engine: Converter = 04752705AA, Mopar kit = RL051241AB
Most 5.7L engines: Converter = 04736911AB, Mopar kit = RL051146AB
5.7L RT model: Converter = 04736982AB, Mopar kit = RL051167AB

In the 2012 converter design, the turbine damper is fixed (riveted) to the turbine hub. There is no spline at all. So yes, I should have been more positive and said 2012 trucks WILL NOT exhibit this problem!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew 2WD
Trim Level: SLT (Lonestar)
Color: Austin Tan
Hustleman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info on this guys. I have been waiting since this time last year on a fix for this. Finally got a new TQ put in this weekend. The first thing I checked was that the new part numbers match the Star Case. So far so good.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Grey
looserivets is on a distinguished road

I took my truck to the local dealer last Tuesday for the torque convertor noise. I have 14200 miles and the noise seemed to start at 13000 miles and has recently gone from barely noticable to an raspy metallic chatter upon T/Q lockup, also I feel vibrations in gas pedal while noise is present. The head driveline tech went for a ride and immediatly commented "something is very wrong here" Service writer has called back wednesday evening telling me they are still working on it, convertor to be replaced along with some "other problems" Hopefully I will get more info by this evening.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Sport CC, 5.7L, 8spd
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
Rep:71
bowieknife will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to bowieknife

So I just had my Torque Converter replaced. Scraping noise in Manual mode between 1400-1700 rpm's is gone. Vibration in the gas peddle is completely gone. Acceleration off the line is definitely tighter with less lag in initial launch. I had secretly been hoping it would relieve some of the MDS shudder but no such luck-That still sucks. All in all, well worth it. Dealer said the swap was pretty much plug and play and not too intensive (looks like 4 total hours on the receipt). Highly recommend doing the swap if you're on the fence about doing it.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Grey
looserivets is on a distinguished road

Well I got my truck back this evening, apparently when they pulled the convertor it was pretty much destroyed. Metal debris from it had made its way throughout the transmission so as well as the upgraded convertor they installed a completely new transmission. So far it shifts very smooth and all noise and vibration are gone. FWIW the truck has never been abused or raced, only used for light towing occasionally, it seems kind of strange to have such a catastrophic failure with so few miles.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: White
954rrmike is on a distinguished road

How loud is this noise? I feel more of a harshness or slight vibration in tow or manual mode between 1400-1700. I feel the dealer will think I am nuts if I take it in for this. My hemi tick is bothering me much more than this issue. I love the aesthetics of the truck but I am starting to wonder what I got myself into.