DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the torque converter problem?
Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed. 186 32.18%
No, I have not noticed this problem. 282 48.79%
I can't determine for sure if I have this problem. 110 19.03%
Voters: 578. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jeepinwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley3303 View Post
wow what a big thread. I have a 2009 Ram Laramie Crew had it replaced at 41,262 they also did pump and now I am at almost 45,000 and I am having vibration through the pedal like no other and I hate it unless cruise is set I hate driving it now.

Do you guys think I can plead a case for this being covered by Dodge and not me and aftermarket warranty again since it is clearly a known issue.
My local Dodge dealership offers a 12 month 12k mile parts and labor warranty on work performed. You might get that also.
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew
Color: Stone White
smiley3303 is on a distinguished road

It is not just a noise it is a feeling and if you felt it you would know what I mean.

I took my truck in today they had it from 7am to nearly 11a and told me it was just tires out of balance. I believed them paid the rip off $50 and then headed to work only had 5 minutes to get there. (so it sat all day until I was done).

Tested it out after work and I could feel it right away but on the interstate 70mph and above it got terrible i could feel it through the pedal so bad I just felt sick that it still had not been fixed.

The feeling is almost like I can feel the fluid going through the pump with a lot of vibration and it intensifies as speeds increase.

Dropping off again tonight (early bird drop) and left VM with the advisor and I am going to leave it there for them to try again. God damn this is frustrating.

I want my smooth Ram back.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley3303 View Post
It is not just a noise it is a feeling and if you felt it you would know what I mean.

I took my truck in today they had it from 7am to nearly 11a and told me it was just tires out of balance. I believed them paid the rip off $50 and then headed to work only had 5 minutes to get there. (so it sat all day until I was done).

Tested it out after work and I could feel it right away but on the interstate 70mph and above it got terrible i could feel it through the pedal so bad I just felt sick that it still had not been fixed.

The feeling is almost like I can feel the fluid going through the pump with a lot of vibration and it intensifies as speeds increase.

Dropping off again tonight (early bird drop) and left VM with the advisor and I am going to leave it there for them to try again. God damn this is frustrating.

I want my smooth Ram back.
Mine is the same thing especially above 70mph. Please keep us posted...curious how you made out. I was about to bring mine in the shop for a tire balance on the front two tires, but I have this gut feeling it's not the balance. Truck has been this way since delivery via day one. I'd love to believe it's balancing, but the truck rides much too smooth at other speeds to be balancing.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: orange
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
diez is on a distinguished road

mine had it until i upgraded to the ram rt stall
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
mine had it until i upgraded to the ram rt stall
How do you like the RT converter with your 4.7L? What's it stall to now?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
sonic4x4 is on a distinguished road

Took mine to the dealership yesterday with the Star case in hand. Also had the ECM reprogrammed. The service department handled the ECM and skipped the TQ diagnostics.

Finally convinced the service writer that this was an issue and had the technician go for a ride. Parts are on the way from Dallas and hopefully they will get swapped out by the first of next week.

Then it's time for the Vararam 4G, Y-Pipe and Magnaflow muffler!

I'll post pics when it's all done.
The MODS LIST: Magnaflow Y-Pipe/Muffler, AMP Power Boards & Bed X-Tender, Spyder CCFL/LED Black Projector Headlights, Recon WhiteLightening LED Tailgate Bar, WeatherTech mats, Pro Comp K2075B 6" Lift, Moto Metal MO961 Matte Black 20" Rims w/ProComp Xtreme A/T 35" Tires, BakFlip F1, Aries Bull Bar w/KC Lights, LED Bulbs, Mopar Chrome Bug Deflector, BilletTech Catch Can, 180 T-Stat, Vararam 4G
Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 RAM HEMI Quad Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
Moby Dick is on a distinguished road
Default No noise at nearly 13,000 Miles

Purchased my new RAM Sport in June of 2011. Just about to turn 13,000 miles now....absolutely no converter noise whatsoever.

Scott

On a side note: I drive my truck like an 80 year old man. I'm the one doing the speed limit (+/- 5 mph) that everyone is passing on the way to go nowhere fast...LOL! My last truck was 16 years old, had 342,000 miles on the ticker and still ran like new without burning a drop of oil....with the original drivetrain.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 2500 BIG HORN 4000 MILES
Color: WHITE
Rep:11
AINTSKEERED is on a distinguished road

Ok Ive read thru these 22 pages along with the Hemi tick, exhaust bolt recall, exhaust leak, lifters, bad gas, 30 year mechanic mentioning unburned fuel making noise in exhaust, Houstonhemi's dampener fix, ticks under acceleration mentioning u joints posts the list will continue
For the TC issue all I recall is owners hearing a growl, frisbee on concrete etc. sound but in the stars report it mentions rattle noise by the customer.

I've had my truck for a couple months. The truck starts up fine noisy but fine. I'M running 91 octane stock everything.

Under load @ 1500 to 2500 rpm I've got a tick, rattle noise similar sounding to what I would think be a lifter or bad gas under noise tick. @ 2500 rpm it fades away or stops. I might just not be able to hear it due to engine noise at that point. If I feather the throttle in that rpm range it's really annoying. Combine that with going 30 with the windows down I wanna shoot it. I can hear it in a seperate car with my wife passing me

I took it to the dealer today. The tech that road with me heard the sound and thought it would be the exhaust bolt recall. He also had his trans guy check the trans. After dropping it off and returning 4 hours later they " couldn't replicate condition" whatever. Also the forgetful bastards forgot to bolt some fender screws back in.

At first I thought lifters maybe exhaust leak. After finding this TC issue hmmm. Suggestions? Has anyone here had a tick not growl with the TC?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 RAM HEMI Quad Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
Moby Dick is on a distinguished road

Is it possible that the known "ECO MODE" vibration is being confused for the torque converter noise that some of you are reporting? There is a distinct noise that occurs when in ECO mode on all these new RAMs. It has nothing to do with the TC or tranny. From what I am told Chrysler is aware of it and says it is present in vehicles with the ECO mode that reduces the firing of 8 cylinders to only 4. It's an engine noise.

Scott
Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Dick View Post
Is it possible that the known "ECO MODE" vibration is being confused for the torque converter noise that some of you are reporting? There is a distinct noise that occurs when in ECO mode on all these new RAMs. It has nothing to do with the TC or tranny. From what I am told Chrysler is aware of it and says it is present in vehicles with the ECO mode that reduces the firing of 8 cylinders to only 4. It's an engine noise.

Scott
First, we can eliminate anything to do with the 'Eco Mode" due to the fact that AINTSKEERED's truck is a 2500 series and is not equipped with it.

AINTSKEERED, if you have read this forum in regard to the TC issue, you surely have come across a copy of the STAR case report. You should print a copy for yourself and for the service manager at your dealership. I have read in many instances, that there are dealerships that haven't a clue about this report or the issue. This may open up a clear line of communication between you and the dealership.

In my case, it was the frisbee/concrete sound before my TC was finally replaced.

As far as the ticking, mine does that too. I hear the the tick in cold temps., only after putting the truck in gear. It's annoying, but will quiet down half way down the block. It hasn't gotten any worse, so I refuse to let them crack my engine open for it. Plus I have read on here where other owners have experienced the same.

I would definitely copy that report and bring it in to your dealership. If they still do not acknowledge your concern, try Chrysler Customer Care or a different dealership.