DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the torque converter problem?
Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed. 191 32.48%
No, I have not noticed this problem. 285 48.47%
I can't determine for sure if I have this problem. 112 19.05%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINTSKEERED View Post
Ok Ive read thru these 22 pages...
I don't know the answer to your issue but I'm giving you rep points for reading through all 22 pages of this thread.
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: sport. loaded.
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ohcnda is on a distinguished road

i am unsure if i posted to this thread already or not, sorry if it is a repost. about 2 months ago i took a 2012 sport out for a test drive. during the drive as i let off the gas i heard a whirl sound... it sounded as if it was the car next to me. i came to the stop light and when it went green i had no gears, not in 4x4 high or low. i asked the dealer what had happened, they said that the pump was installed incorrectly and it took out the TC. i dont know if i believe them? all i know is that the truck had less then 75 KMS on it. very dissapointing!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
allemanp is on a distinguished road

Same here. I have a 2011 with 20,500 miles. Been hearing the TQ noise since i purchased it new, reported it on every oil change, service manager said he hadn't heard of such a thing. Drove the truck on a sunday night and parked it. Started it monday morning, put it in gear and nothing. Truck won't move. Dealership said torque converter and front pump bad. Horrible part is be a week monday and still hat the front pump is backordered, will be a week this monday, still no truck. And my dealership does not provide rentals, made me pay for 3 days until I complained enough, so they gave me a used vehicle to drive. This problem must be more widespread than expected for front pumps to be backordered.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 RAM HEMI Quad Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
Moby Dick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthunder View Post
First, we can eliminate anything to do with the 'Eco Mode" due to the fact that AINTSKEERED's truck is a 2500 series and is not equipped with it.
I was not speaking of anyone in particular. I was inferring a general possibility due to threads I have read which did not seem to fit the symptoms described in the actual report.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Dick View Post
I was not speaking of anyone in particular. I was inferring a general possibility due to threads I have read which did not seem to fit the symptoms described in the actual report.
Yep,gotcha, thought that's what you meant.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough

Confirmed it today, was hard to hear over my exhaust but it's definitely got some sort of issue. Going by the dealer tomorrow to get the ball rolling.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 2500 BIG HORN 4000 MILES
Color: WHITE
Rep:11
AINTSKEERED is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthunder View Post
First, we can eliminate anything to do with the 'Eco Mode" due to the fact that AINTSKEERED's truck is a 2500 series and is not equipped with it.

AINTSKEERED, if you have read this forum in regard to the TC issue, you surely have come across a copy of the STAR case report. You should print a copy for yourself and for the service manager at your dealership. I have read in many instances, that there are dealerships that haven't a clue about this report or the issue. This may open up a clear line of communication between you and the dealership.

In my case, it was the frisbee/concrete sound before my TC was finally replaced.

As far as the ticking, mine does that too. I hear the the tick in cold temps., only after putting the truck in gear. It's annoying, but will quiet down half way down the block. It hasn't gotten any worse, so I refuse to let them crack my engine open for it. Plus I have read on here where other owners have experienced the same.

I would definitely copy that report and bring it in to your dealership. If they still do not acknowledge your concern, try Chrysler Customer Care or a different dealership.
Alright, thanks Blackthunder.

The more I think about it the tick is a similar tone to the exhaust ticking while cooling down.. but a bit more muffled.

Remember the movie speed? I might just have my wife drive the truck while I pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

Anybody around Houston want to ride with me "preferably with good hearing" to evalute this noise im hearing?

My next trip to the dealership will include a copy of the STAR report.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Wow, I am somewhat surprised so many people have had this problem. The poll results are neck and neck. When I last spoke with my dealer's service dept, they said they had not heard of the star case nor had a single customer bring it up. I have to go in for an oil change and tire rotation soon so I will take a copy and see what they say.
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 01-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
sonic4x4 is on a distinguished road

I took the Star case in to the dealer and had the tech go for a ride. I explained what was on the case and he agreed to get it taken care of. It took 7-hours for the job but the symptoms are gone now. Had mine done at Gillman Dodge in Houston.
The MODS LIST: Magnaflow Y-Pipe/Muffler, AMP Power Boards & Bed X-Tender, Spyder CCFL/LED Black Projector Headlights, Recon WhiteLightening LED Tailgate Bar, WeatherTech mats, Pro Comp K2075B 6" Lift, Moto Metal MO961 Matte Black 20" Rims w/ProComp Xtreme A/T 35" Tires, BakFlip F1, Aries Bull Bar w/KC Lights, LED Bulbs, Mopar Chrome Bug Deflector, BilletTech Catch Can, 180 T-Stat, Vararam 4G
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic4x4 View Post
I took the Star case in to the dealer and had the tech go for a ride. I explained what was on the case and he agreed to get it taken care of. It took 7-hours for the job but the symptoms are gone now. Had mine done at Gillman Dodge in Houston.
Glad they took care of you. Different truck now, ain't it? A lot more pleasurable to drive without that racket coming from underneath the floor!