DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the torque converter problem?
Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed. 191 32.43%
No, I have not noticed this problem. 286 48.56%
I can't determine for sure if I have this problem. 112 19.02%
Voters: 589. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Well, when the thread has 280 posts, I can't really fault someone for not going back and reading them all.

No, this noise will not hurt the trans (or converter). It is an annoyance caused by a little too much clearance (backlash) in the turbine hub spline. This allows the spine connection to rattle when it is under no torque (which happens when the TCC is fully engaged).

Not all converters exhibit the rattle. It depends on how much spline clearance you have (which will vary due to manufacturing tolerances). You do not need to have the converter replaced if (1) you don't have the noise, or (2) it's not enough of an annoyance to justify getting the work done.
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2012, 10:29 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Thanks for the input TransEngineer...

I was speaking to my dealer about all the issues and they sounded surprised however the mechanic advised that they have replaced a dozen so far......

So far so good for me with my RAM... Touch wood I hope I don't have any issues...

Thanks again,

Ed

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT Bighorn
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
t05ks is on a distinguished road

thanks for the reply, I did read a 'bunch' of the posts and probably should have checked one or two more pages Again, its good to know the tranny won't grenade suddenly when out in the middle of no-where.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 4.7L
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White Gold
HodgieHunter is on a distinguished road

with this noise are any of you feel like the rear end is dragging i am i think i hear the noise but feel alot of drag in the rear when driving ? any ideas going to call dealer tomm 2011 5600 miles on it
Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 DODGE RAM
Color: WHITE
michaelman501 is on a distinguished road

I just bought my truck a month ago and it has 20,000 km's...i am noticing a slight grinding noise/whining at around 60 km/h thats driving me NUTS...It drives me nuts and i always try to keep the speed below or above the 60km/h so i dont have to listen to it....My truck is a 2010 HEMI.....Does this sound like its the TC ? If so i will be taking it in because with such low km's i dont think this truck should be making ANY noises.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 AM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelman501 View Post
I just bought my truck a month ago and it has 20,000 km's...i am noticing a slight grinding noise/whining at around 60 km/h thats driving me NUTS...It drives me nuts and i always try to keep the speed below or above the 60km/h so i dont have to listen to it....My truck is a 2010 HEMI.....Does this sound like its the TC ? If so i will be taking it in because with such low km's i dont think this truck should be making ANY noises.
The converter noise only occurs when the torque converter clutch (TCC) is fully locked. Best thing would be to have your dealer drive it with a scan tool to monitor TCC engagement. Normally, in top gear with MDS active, the TCC is partially (not fully) locked, so you would NOT get the noise. Tapping the ERS (-) switch (to put you in "5") should cause the TCC to fully lock, so then you would hear the noise (if it's the converter).

So if you can hear the noise with the TCC unlocked, or partially locked, then it's something other than the converter (and replacing the converter won't fix it).
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:49
jammons5126 is on a distinguished road

The dealership had my truck over the weekend and fixed the problem with the torque converter. they couldnt hear the noise i had or anything of that sort but they fixed it anyways and found out that the truck ran smoother than it did before. so as of now my truck is fixed and in good running order at 42,517 miles
Old 03-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
The converter noise only occurs when the torque converter clutch (TCC) is fully locked. Best thing would be to have your dealer drive it with a scan tool to monitor TCC engagement. Normally, in top gear with MDS active, the TCC is partially (not fully) locked, so you would NOT get the noise. Tapping the ERS (-) switch (to put you in "5") should cause the TCC to fully lock, so then you would hear the noise (if it's the converter).

So if you can hear the noise with the TCC unlocked, or partially locked, then it's something other than the converter (and replacing the converter won't fix it).

Hey TransEngineer thanks so much for your input, i just want to make sure i have ALL my facts straight prior to dropping it off at the dealership tomorrow night. I read ALL 29 pages of this thread, and then went to drive the truck and try and duplicate the sound. I brought the truck up to speed slowly till i hit around 30 MPH when i heard that damn grinding sound, i then hit the tow/haul button and continued to lightly accelarate, this made the grinding(frisbee on concrete lol) noise much more prominent. I just want to confirm that this sounds like the Torque Converter. Just want to say thanks again, i dont know what i would do without all these knowledgable people on this forum!

Michael
Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 AM

Well, "frisbee on concrete" is a pretty good description of the converter "warble", but the speed you report (30 mph) is lower than usual (normally it's around 50 mph), and as I said you should not get the noise unless the TCC is fully locked. I'm not sure offhand how Tow/Haul mode would affect the TCC schedule. But I would demo it for a dealer tech (with scan tool) and see if the noise coincides with full TCC lockup. If not, then I suspect it's something else.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

@ TransEngineer....I dont know why i put 30MPH, i meant to say 40MPH and up, whooops lol...I had the truck at my local Dodge dealership today...After waiting ALL day to hear from them and having heard nothing, i decided to give them a call...The only person i was able to speak with was the woman working the service desk, she couldnt tell me much but what she was able to tell me was that i was getting an entirely new transmission installed tomorrow under warranty...I dont know whether this is good news or bad news, she was unable to tell me whether it had anything to do with the torque converter or not, i guess i will find out when i pick it up...