DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the torque converter problem?
Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed. 191 32.48%
No, I have not noticed this problem. 285 48.47%
I can't determine for sure if I have this problem. 112 19.05%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky70 View Post
..... I dropped the truck off tonight and asked what part number convertor they were installing in my truck, He told me R8051146AB and said the "R" meant re-manufactured.
Does this seem correct? has Dodge issued a new part number and are the parts re-manufactured?
You got the right part. Yes, that is a "reman" number, but that does not mean you got a remanufactured part. As far as I know, these (2011 service) converters are all brand new.

They use a "reman" part number because they want your old converter back for a core. If they sell you a "regular" part number, there is no core charge and they don't demand the old part back. But with a "reman" number there is a core charge to ensure the old part gets returned.
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Rep:10
wilky70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
You got the right part. Yes, that is a "reman" number, but that does not mean you got a remanufactured part. As far as I know, these (2011 service) converters are all brand new.

They use a "reman" part number because they want your old converter back for a core. If they sell you a "regular" part number, there is no core charge and they don't demand the old part back. But with a "reman" number there is a core charge to ensure the old part gets returned.
Thank you TransEngineer for the reply. I was hoping to would see my post before they starting taking my truck apart this morning. I sure hope this will be the end of my convertor problem. These are great trucks it's too bad so many of us are having this problem with brand new trucks.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
Emorris69 is on a distinguished road
Question

Im in canada so I have 33000 Km's on mine and no issues to report. But I do have an aftermarket exhaust. Ill have to listen carefully tomorrow and see if I have a problem
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

After 4 days at the dealer I got my truck back, the noise is gone but I noticed on the weekend that it is dripping transmission fluild between the back of the engine and the transmission. I assume that means the front seal in the transmission was damaged during the converter install. This morning on the way to work at highway speed it starting shuttering really badly when at 110-120 km/hr.
Any idea what that means?

Last edited by wilky70; 04-17-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky70 View Post
After 4 days at the dealer I got my truck back, the noise is gone but I noticed on the weekend that it is dripping transmission fluild between the back of the engine and the transmission. I assume that means the front seal in the transmission was damaged during the converter install. This morning on the way to work at highway speed it starting shuttering really badly when at 110-120 km/hr.
Any idea what that means?
I think it means you need to take it back to the dealer!

How bad is the fluid leakage? Sometimes this might just be some residual oil from when they did the replacement. So if it's just a few drops, I would wait a few days and see if it continues or quits.

As for the shuddering, I don't know what would cause that (or how a cut impeller hub seal would cause it), so if that continues, have the dealer check it with a scan tool to see what's going on.

Did they replace just the converter, or did they replace anything else?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The fluid leakage is small but more then just residual. I picked up the truck on Thursday and it is still dripping today. Might be O.K. if it had a few hundred thousand miles on it but not O.K. for a brand new truck.
I have attached the work order, they didn't do anything else other than replace the converter. When I drove it home Thursday night it was fine but today it starting shuttering or vibrating depending on the speed or load. It's not constant but you can make it do it with light acceleration or de-acceleration. Could be the transition between MDS but it wasn't like that before. Pretty severe vibration.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ConverterRepair.pdf (383.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
bhank0688 is on a distinguished road
Default hope the new torque converter fixes the annoying sound

I've had my 2011 ram 2500 into the dealer a few times and they said they heard the grinding type sound but, it was common in everything that they have drove that had the hemi motor in it. I called them out on it because I have drove a few of these trucks with the hemi and haven't noticed it before. I came across this forum and found the star case and my truck is doing exactly as the star case describes. I took the truck back to the dealer and gave them a copy of the star case. Within a half hour later they said they ordered a new torque converter and would call when it comes in. They didn't argue about it at all. My truck is in the dealer right now having the new torque converter put in, hopefully it gets rid of this annoying sound.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
mxbill27j is on a distinguished road

I read somewhere in the 2011 Ram Forums that there was the possibility of a recall/tsb coming out for the TC issue in April. I cant find the thread I read it in, but has anyone heard of this? I figured it wouldn't kill me to wait a few more weeks to go into the dealer, so I was waiting to see if anything came up for this. Either way, it seems like the issue is so well known that I shouldn't have too much of a problem with the dealer now. Any info on this is appreciated!! Thanks.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Silverado to trade soon!
lbre75 is on a distinguished road

I have not been on the forum for some time now. I finally traded our other Chrysler vehicle off and still have this pos of a truck here. I tried to trade it and keep the wife's car instead, but I had too much negative equity and just could not justify it at this point. I just had my 6,000 mile service completed and the third visit for this TC grind/groan among a host of other issues. As I suspected, I was told the same old song and dance and that it is normal from these trucks. I was told to drop the gear down to 5 and it would go away, which it does not because it is not an MDS issue that I am having. The GM of the dealership told me that he had 4 or 5 trucks with same issues and that his Chrysler service rep would not approve of a new TC for my truck because it was not the "fix" that I needed. He said that the rep had a field engineer come with him and install some sort of vibration dampeners on one of the other trucks to see if it would solve the problems, but it didn't. He also told me that the rep said that the TC was only a temporary band aid to my issues.
We then had a heated argument and I took him for a ride and he agreed that there was something wrong. We then swapped trucks and i drove his 2012 demo which is exactly like my truck other than the color and it was a night and day difference for the both of us. When we both drove back in to the dealership, I told him that the only thing that they could do to make us happy at this point was to work out a deal to trade our 11' for a 12' model. He kinda laughed and said that it was up to Chrysler to help with trade assistance since we were upside down in our truck. I didn't think it was too damn funny myself considering that I am paying for a $44k piece of crap and no one seems to care to stand behind their guarantees of warranty. I am still waiting on a call from him, but according to their sales manager, it looked like their was not going to be any assistance from what he could tell. This has really been an experience for me and if I am gonna have to take a beating on a trade, it definitely will not be on another RAM!!! Hopefully the outcome will be better than it appears right now....
Old 04-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
bhank0688 is on a distinguished road
Default TC replaced and sound is gone

Well after driving my truck for a few days and around 300 miles I can say that the new TC fixed my problem. before I could make the truck start the annoying sound whenever I wanted but ever since they put in the new TC there is no more sound... Best advice I can give is take a print out of the star case with you when you go to the dealer. At first I didn't tell them I even new about a star case I just told them what I believed was causing the sound and they said they cant just replace TC's just because of what I read online... thats when i gave them a copy of the star case from Chrysler, they had a guy drive my truck yet again and then 15 mins later they ordered my new TC. Now that the sound is gone I am very happy with my ram 2500