DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Ram R/T

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
EastTxRT is on a distinguished road
Default 1/4 Mile run

Ok I have been to the track 3 times now with my 10 R/t, didnít run bad in fact I pulled out a 14.4 which i was pretty happy about (not to mention beating dads 09 challenger R/T). Any way I have seen it talked about in a few different sections but never actually got a straight answer. What is the best way to run the 1/4 in this truck?! I used auto stick but it acts very odd on the 2-3 shift, regardless of then I bump it over it keep truckin down to what I assume is the limiter does some half ass shift/redline backs off maybe 1k rpms then is actually seems to shift. I thought this could be that 2 1/2 gear thing but isnít that supposed to be only for downshifting while your towing. It just seems to be killing my time after the 1/8 mile which is where I get sucked up by the challenger. Anyone else have this problem??? My Diablo Predator should be in tomorrow and Iím going to the track Friday.

Below is the video from last time I went to the track, we raced 4 times and he got me all but that time... too bad the only one on video was the old truck beating up on the sports car :-)

youtube.com/watch?v=S7NzzDyqVX0

Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 RAM R/T
Color: Deep Water Blue
2006hemiram is on a distinguished road

not bad, my first time to the track was last Sat., I pulled a 14.7 bone stock with 22s and full tank of gas. I saw better times with full auto and TC off.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Remove the spare and get street slicks and i usally let it shift by its self did you try putting it in tow best so far was 13.9 no spare and slicks in tow
Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: LARAMIE QQ 4x4 3.92
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:52
AzHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTxRT View Post
Ok I have been to the track 3 times now with my 10 R/t, didnít run bad in fact I pulled out a 14.4 which i was pretty happy about (not to mention beating dads 09 challenger R/T). Any way I have seen it talked about in a few different sections but never actually got a straight answer. What is the best way to run the 1/4 in this truck?! I used auto stick but it acts very odd on the 2-3 shift, regardless of then I bump it over it keep truckin down to what I assume is the limiter does some half ass shift/redline backs off maybe 1k rpms then is actually seems to shift. I thought this could be that 2 1/2 gear thing but isnít that supposed to be only for downshifting while your towing. It just seems to be killing my time after the 1/8 mile which is where I get sucked up by the challenger. Anyone else have this problem??? My Diablo Predator should be in tomorrow and Iím going to the track Friday.

Below is the video from last time I went to the track, we raced 4 times and he got me all but that time... too bad the only one on video was the old truck beating up on the sports car :-)

Is the truck stock?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

2nd prime is used upshifting while manually shifting so that odd shift is it going to 2nd prime. As for how to shift it v8440 who is one of the 2 with a stock 13.7 second rcsb(other is jdustu) says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8440 View Post
My best was a 2.04. The truck is stone stock. Not I-did-something-but-you-can't-see-it stock, I mean dead stock. No programmer, no aftermarket anything on the entire truck. I also run on 87 octane, believe it or not. The spare tire is where it belongs, and the tailgate is both installed and closed.

Here's the way I run the truck: I do not put it in tow/haul. I don't think doing that hurts, it just doesn't help. It raises shift points, but not at full throttle. I then use a very specific procedure with the shifter to get the transmission to use 2nd prime without running against the rev limiter. I select 2nd gear when I'm rolling up to the start line. After I leave the line, I wait until it shifts into 2nd. When it does, I bump the button and select 3rd, which is really 2nd prime. The truck does not shift into 2nd prime until it needs to-the point is to NOT SELECT 3 WITH THE SHIFTER UNTIL THE TRUCK IS ACTUALLY IN 2ND GEAR. As soon as it shifts into 3nd prime, I hold the + button on the shifter for a second or two so that it is in drive range. From then on, the truck is in normal mode. If you think about it, you'll see that I've essentially had the shift indicator showing the next gear up, so that I'm staying ahead of the transmission. This prevents me from ever reacting too late and hitting the rev limiter. The only condition that must be met for the transmission to use 2nd prime is that the gear selector must be advanced from 2 to 3 WHILE THE TRANSMISSION IS ACTUALLY IN 2ND GEAR. Simply selecting 3 while waiting at the starting line will NOT do it. My method keeps you from having to watch the tach like a hawk, which in turn means you won't accidentally delay a shift and hit the rev limiter.

For launching the truck, I run it up against the converter GENTLY before leaving the line. Probably 1500 rpm or so should do it. If you try to really run it up against the converter hard it seems to trigger some extra torque management, either that or you blow the tires away. When I go to leave, I press the pedal to the floor in a controlled fashion, I don't slam it.
As for my speed in 4th gear, I think that's the gear I finish the pass in. If so, that would be 98.6 mph, which is my best trap speed so far.
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHunter View Post
Is the truck stock?

Flowmaster muffler...
Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner View Post
2nd prime is used upshifting while manually shifting so that odd shift is it going to 2nd prime. As for how to shift it v8440 who is one of the 2 with a stock 13.7 second rcsb(other is jdustu) says:

THANKS MAN, altho I did a calculus problem last night that seams easier than that lol jk, thats cool Ill have to try that friday, wonder if it will act any different with the programmer, but I plan to do a pass without the programmer let it cool down upload the tune then run again. Ill have a detailed write up with lots of pics and video by monday.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM R/T
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:60
stangallmotor will become famous soon enough

Keep us updated, Hopefully you will break into the 13's! Maybe remove tool kit, spare tire, and tail gate?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

ehhh the track is an hour away so the spare is comming with me lol and on the tailgate, ive heard leave it ive head put it down and ive heard take it off, not much of a weight issue, my friends rangers tailgate seams 50 lbs heavier so I dunnu
Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Got my Diablo Predator tuner in the mail from http://www.flashtuner.com/ (amazing company by the way, I wanted my tuner by today so I emailed them on Tuesday night at 11pm got a reply talked about shipping and he told me that they had a Dallas warehouse which is about an hour away from me and that normal shipping(which was free) would have it to me in time, and sure enough it was waiting on me at the house yesterday) but anyway, got it last night loaded the 87 octane tune because that’s what was in the truck, and all I can say is HOLY S#^&. Why in god’s name did the truck not come like this??? If you’re thinking of doing anything to your truck buy one of these first! you can feel the extra "kick" when it hits the VVT power range, it scratches 2nd hard and doesn’t have the acceleration hesitation that it had between the 1-2 shift at WOT. Bottom line it just drives better! oh and since last night I’ve done nothing but romp on it everywhere I’ve been and the gas mileage keeps going up, basically I’m sold and everyone with one of these trucks needs to buy one! I got mine shipped to my door with the PC connection (which you don’t need because it comes with the 2009-2010 ram update on it) for $317. I’m going to the track tonight I’m going to try the MPG mode on the way there, run it stock, then load the 91 oct tune and compare, so expect lots of pics vids and a write up on it by Monday.