DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Omaha Orange
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
85buggy is on a distinguished road
Smile Cold & Snow & ice it's coming !

I have never had a Dodge truck I switched over after to many ford problems. My ford was good in the snow I have been in some mud and I thought the truck handled it better then the ford & I didn't have to go to 4wd to get out. What should I expect this winter do i have to weigh down the back with sand ? Also my ford diesels had engine heater plugins this new truck says they aren't needed less then -20 deg .What should I expect for a normal warm up for decent heat ? Lastly shifting into 4x4 my ford always clunked it was was a 2011 not a oldie will this truck shift more quietly rolling along say 45 mph ? I really like this diesel compared to my ford 6.0 diesel.
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Being as you live in the north, you MAY have an engine heater cord tucked away in the upper part of your fender well(s)
A battery blanket can be useful

sand bags always come in handy for weight or traction in the winter, especially in a empty pickup bed

Personally i can't believe for a second what the manual reads about warm up time with any engine.
as for the transmission, rear end, brakes, & bearings, you have to drive slowly until they can warm up, that is not hard to do in 6 inches of snow

I will not be able to help you the shifting stuff
I was raised in New England, but vehicles didn't have all the fancy stuff back then
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 10-13-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram ST
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:15
redlightrico is on a distinguished road

waaaaaaay up here in the Great white north mine did excellent with no weight at all in the back, barely ever had to put it in 4wd. Up here Battery blankets come stock as well as the Block Heater cords even though I never plugged it in once. we hit a 2 week period back in January that hit -40 C every night and the truck was outside in open air. Warm up times ranged from 3 to 7 minutes to get heat (without a weatherfront)
Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 11 Ram Quad
Trim Level: sxt
Color: red
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:13
squig69 is on a distinguished road

i was wondering the same thing about adding sandbags in the back. if they're not needed then at least ill have sand there for the icey boat launches in the winter
Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Hiker Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrico View Post
we hit a 2 week period back in January that hit -40 C every night ....
Colorado gets cold, but not THAT cold!

I like the ideas of a Battery Blanket & Block Heater though. Good ideas.

4wd and LSD should get me around most areas, particularly with sand bags.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Omaha Orange
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
85buggy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input the salesman said the block heater is a option thats not on this truck. Had I ordered it I would have gotten it. If I have it where should I look (block heater cord) ???
Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
Northernmedic is on a distinguished road

Take a look in the engine compartment, pass side by the rad and the fender.

My wife is the one that daily drives our ram. I told her that when it's iccy out just to put it in 4wd auto and forget about it.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I read this online

It's behind and a little the the right of the passenger side head light. It's a black cord with plug cover over the grounded plug itself.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
AlphaInfinity is on a distinguished road

The auto trak systems in these trucks are pretty good. Just stick it in auto if there is any doubt and forget about it.

Tires and driving habbit are also very important. No reason to use the engine block heater on a gas powerplant until it gets really cold. I know the boys north of us in Alberta on the oil sands plugin their diesels all the time, but they have weather that justifies using them.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Back in the 1950 & 60s, we used cardboard shipping boxes, like what refrigerators come in, to lay on the ground under the engine compartment & transmission in the winter. We never had a frozen engine or radiator, the ground holds the freezing cold & your engine compartment is right above it, the cold does Not come down through your hood, it comes from the ground

many people that need a block heater, usually put them on a timer, say you need to drive the vehicle at 6 am, you would set the timer to come on about 3 hours before that

Take Control of Your Engine Block Heater

Electric block heaters are commonly used in cold climates to heat a vehicle engine prior to driving. Heaters are connected to normal AC power and have a heating coil that goes into the engine block. In cold climates block heaters are often standard equipment in new vehicles.

Using a block heater not only helps the vehicle start more easily and reduces wear on the engine, it also helps air quality. This pre-warming sharply reduces the amount of pollutants created during the first few minutes of a “cold start.” Studies show that, whenever it is 20ºF or colder, using an engine block heater for two to three hours prior to starting the vehicle can cut carbon monoxide emissions by an average of 60%.

Also, with a warmed engine, fuel economy will improve as much as 10%, and the passenger compartment defroster and heater will work faster. School buses and other fleets often use block heaters to reduce engine warm-up time, avoid starting difficulties, and help defrost windows.
Timers Save Energy
It only takes 2-3 hours for a block heater to fully warm a vehicle engine. But for convenience, many people plug it in when they arrive home in the evening, leaving it on all night! To automate the on/off heating cycle, you can use a programmable timer to turn on the block heater at the appropriate time.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHoQ8wIwAw#