DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 dodge ram
Trim Level: n/a
Color: grey
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:10
kountry traveler is on a distinguished road
Default More power!!!!!!

I have a 02 Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins which I use to tow a 32 ft. fifth wheel trl. The truck is in excellent shape but I have found that traveling out west in the mountains that a little more HP would be nice.
My question is would a Smarty Programmer be helful but would it shorten the life of the engine or transmission?
I get excellent mpg now and overall the general performance is great but it has to work a bit harder in hilly and mountianous country.
Any input on this subject would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Allan Olson aka "kountry traveler"
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2011, 12:05 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Running a smarty would be fine provided you keep it between the 1-3 setting. If you go above 4, then you're looking at shortening the lifespan of the other components. I'm a personal fan of the Banks equipment on the 5.9 since you can piggy back the iQ, six gun, and power puck to give you maximum control over your entire drive train.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
02 Cummins Guy is on a distinguished road

I know it has been awhile since you asked the question, but I haven't been on in a long time.
I have an 02 also. It ran o.k, but just seemed like it was restricted, and didn't pull like I thought it should. So I took it to our local shop that specializes in diesels, and talked to them.
My first thought was a programmer, but he talked me out of it to start with.
We went withan AFR Cold air intake, and 4 inch exhaust from the turbo back, with a low restriction muffler. He said, we will do this to start, then if you want more, we can add a programmer.

I told him, thats fine, but if it sounds like one of the trucks a 20 year old drives around ( really noisy turbo and exhaust ) you are taking it off...

It made a huge difference. Like night and day. I can hear a little bit of turbo and exhaust but thats fine.

I haven't added a programmer yet, but I sold my big camper and boat, so I'm not towing anything heavy. I think you would be surprised at the difference, and you don't have to worry about any durability issues with the engine or tranny.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: slt laramie
Color: silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
cape99ram is on a distinguished road

before you put a programmer in it, i would recommend fixing the killer dowel pin. its a pin under the timing cover and its been known to fall out and wreck gears and stuff.