DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
bennny is on a distinguished road
Default Questions on changing diff oil!

Well, my truck is at 20k miles and i'm wanting to change out the differential oil. It is a 2wd so I only need to change the rear. I don't currently have a haynes manual (but will be getting one) so I was going to ask a few questions. How much oil does the rear diff take? Also, since I don't have a drain plug on mine, do you guys recommend sucking the oil out with a pump through the fill whole? Or taking the cover off? Also, what sites do you guys buy aftermarket parts from? I wouldn't mind buying an aftermarket diff cover that had a drain plug if I could find one. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Rep:11
Gene K is on a distinguished road

2.2 Qt according to the owners manual. Thats dry so you may need 2 Qt or less. Spec is 5/8" below the hole +/- 1/4". However you are not going to hurt it if its slightly overfilled.

I would remove the rear cover and use the correct RTV Sealer to reinstall. You may want to let it the bead on the cover dry for a little while before you reinstall.

The factory fluid is Mopar 75W140 Synthetic. The most available replacement will likely be Mobil 1. If you have the factory Anti-Spin Differential you will need a bottle of friction modifier as well. Some axle lube contains friction modifier already (It will say if it does) but Ive usually had to add more to avoid shuddering around corners. You dont want to use any more friction modifier than it takes to eliminate the shuddering because it makes the clutches less effective. I usually start with a little over half the recommended amount and add more if it shudders.

Severe Duty recommendation is every 18,000 miles for fluid change. I dont believe their is one for standard service.

Last edited by Gene K; 10-16-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Which RTV sealant do you reccommend using? I have the clear tube, and then the black high heat tube. Also, do you know how much the bolts are supposed to be torqued on the diff?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Old & glad of it.

Vehicle: 2006 RAM 3500; 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black 2 tone grey
Rep:48
rsg1963 is on a distinguished road

In order of some of the questions:
1) a little over 2 Quarts.;
2) The Mag-Tec diff cover is the king of diff covers IMHO. Would not buy anything else. Easier level checks, better protection, stronger, and more fluid capacity. Google them and you decide.
3) Take off the diff cover so you'll see if there are any visible issues and have a better chance to clean out debris vs. suction method;
4) I use the friction modifier from Mopar with AmsOil diff oil. Mobil 1 is great too.
5) ALWAYS use the RTV called "Right Stuff". Expensive but worth every damn penny. I use it for ANYTHING I'd use RTV for. Get the kind in the bottle. It's pressurized and comes out like cheese whiz. Very easy to work with, very forgiving and can be assembled immediately if needed. Me likeee.

RAM Pickup: 2010 1500 Laramie Hemi: Magtec Rear Diff cover/AmsOil 75w-110 Syn, 24" Magnaflow, Resonator delete, Line-X; Bilstein shocks with leveling kit 2.75";305/60-20 GY Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grades; Lift Air Bag Suspension;
RAM Truck: 2006 3500 ST Cummins:Line-X; Leveling Kit 2" with Edelbrock shocks; Ultra Custom rims w/ 265/70-17 Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade; Backup Camera/NAV/DVD video/Reese 24K 5th wheel hitch; RDS 51 Gal tank/toolbox; Banks:CAI, MonsterRam 3.5",Monster Exhaust;Pac Brake Prxb.

Last edited by rsg1963; 10-20-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: sp..
Old 10-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So, I just got back from a mobil station and i'm extremely pissed off. "If you want something done right, do it yourself"...truer words have never been spoken. I spoke with the manager at the place, and he said if I brought in the MOBIL 1 and Friction Modifier that they would suck everything out of the diff and replace the fluid....he then assured me they get 95 percent of the old oil and I said okay. I get there, the guy automatically opens all 3 quarts of oil I have, and pours the friction modifier into all 3 of them. Then, he suctions out the old oil and starts pouring in the new. He only put a little over 1 quart in and it started flowing out of the fill hole. I mean, that's like 1.2 quarts of oil. I don't know now if the diff has enough friction modifier in it because he did the whole distributing of it to all 3 quarts, and not all got the same amount and some weren't even used. Should I just go (and waste even more money) and throw away the quarts I have that he poured that shit into and go buy 3 more. Then pull the cover off, change it and know that it was done right? I'm LIVID right now that people are so stupid in this world. I have no idea if my diff has enough friction modifier in it, and I feel like these other two quarts are wasted because once oil quarts are opened and they sit for a while I don't like using them again. (One is opened and NOTHING was used out of it, and the other only had like 2 inches used). I looked at covers on Mag-Tech's website and it looks like a 2 year old put their website together. I'm not spending close to 300 on a diff cover when the site doesn't even look professional. Should I just go pull the cover off and do it all over again myself?
Old 10-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Old & glad of it.

Hmmmm. Well as far as MagTec, personally I'd rather have a company that builds a great product really well, than one that knows how to sell a product really well. Quality is in the product not the website. If that were the case then OXI CLEAN! would really be the best product in THE WORLD! Woo-Hoo!

Anyway, taking off the diff cover is no big deal and it's how you should have done it in the first place. You said it right when you said "If you want something done right, do it yourself". So suck it up and start over. At least you'll know it was done right and you can drive down the road confident all is well back there.

RAM Pickup: 2010 1500 Laramie Hemi: Magtec Rear Diff cover/AmsOil 75w-110 Syn, 24" Magnaflow, Resonator delete, Line-X; Bilstein shocks with leveling kit 2.75";305/60-20 GY Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grades; Lift Air Bag Suspension;
RAM Truck: 2006 3500 ST Cummins:Line-X; Leveling Kit 2" with Edelbrock shocks; Ultra Custom rims w/ 265/70-17 Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade; Backup Camera/NAV/DVD video/Reese 24K 5th wheel hitch; RDS 51 Gal tank/toolbox; Banks:CAI, MonsterRam 3.5",Monster Exhaust;Pac Brake Prxb.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg1963 View Post
Hmmmm. Well as far as MagTec, personally I'd rather have a company that builds a great product really well, than one that knows how to sell a product really well. Quality is in the product not the website. If that were the case then OXI CLEAN! would really be the best product in THE WORLD! Woo-Hoo!

Anyway, taking off the diff cover is no big deal and it's how you should have done it in the first place. You said it right when you said "If you want something done right, do it yourself". So suck it up and start over. At least you'll know it was done right and you can drive down the road confident all is well back there.

Do you torque the bolts on the cover down to any certain amount? Or just "tight"?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Old & glad of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennny View Post
Do you torque the bolts on the cover down to any certain amount? Or just "tight"?
hahaha, "just tight". I know what you mean but depending upon the size of your forearms that could range quite a bit! ;-)

I generally use the same method for lug nuts as far as sequence/pattern, and spark plugs as far as torque. 15-20 lbs. But to be honest that's just what I've done for 30 years on every vehicle i've owned. There is certainly a recommended torque for this, and I'll bet someone here will offer it within a few posts. That's why this site is so great.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT BigHorn
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:108
Stuck2theAxles will become famous soon enoughStuck2theAxles will become famous soon enough

yea snug plus alil works really good and when you put the right stuff on it spread it out with your finger and make a nice thin layer if you put to much on it will spew out when you snug the cover down and some might get in you diff and contaminate your fluid alil annnnd if your using AMSOIL ( def rec ) you dont need the friction modifier. when the cover is off there is a small magnet under your ring gear take it out and clean all the metal off it before placing it back in placement and position doesnt matter just close to where it was haha and if ya have the time wait about 30 mins before putting fluid back in it gives the right stuff time to set and harden so you dont find yourself 10k down the road with a wet looking diff , Gooooood luck buddy

2012 CCSB Lone Star 4WD - McGaughys , KMC, shaved clean

2012 CC 2500 Cummins - Thuren, Fox , H&S w deletes upstairs and down
Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge 3.7
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
actexas is on a distinguished road

I have been looking, but I can't seem to find my answer. I have a 2010. Worried about the rear end (I drive all over New Mexico and west Texas doing IT work. I wanted to "just" change the diff fluid till I can afford to get a new diff cover. I purchased 3 qts. of Royal Purple 75-140 wt. The sucked it out ( as I did not want to remove the cover on my way out to a job) and he put in almost 3 qts. in my diff. That kind of worried me as I have heard some guys say only two went in here on the forum.

My question. I have no idea if I have limited slip. I am assuming I do. Does royal purple have the friction modifier that I am hearing about? Truck is running strong, but I can't afford catastrophic meltdown of my rear end.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

~Adrian