DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4X4
Rep:10
85badger is on a distinguished road
Default Show me your....rust!

Newbie on this forum but have owned my 04 1500 hemi since 05. Truck has been great! Bought it with 22k miles and it now has almost 124k miles. No issues with the truck except for the rust over the rear wheels! I barely noticed bubbling back in 08 when the truck had approx 85k on it and as life goes was unable to get it to the dealer until it had over 100k. Long story short I'm on my own with this rust! Not to darn happy about it either, you'd think that with today's metallurgy, engineering and manufacturing abilities that this could have been designed out of the truck bed, after all dodge has only been making trucks for 4-5 decades! As a comparasion I own a 1995 Toyota Landcruiser with 190k miles on it, zero rust! Oh and not to mention I work with 5 other guys that have the same problem. One guy was able to get his fixed and the other guy only had 44k miles on his! Needless to say, he now owns a Toyota! Can't say I blame him as I'm about to go that route myself or the new ecoboost. Was planning on keeping this truck for a long time, but I'm not driving around a rusted out looking POS! Sorry just venting but seems like nobody is holding Dodge to the fire on this. Mine started this only 4 years after initial purchase and I have heard and seen even newer ones that have this problem....seems like a class action law suit should be filed.

So, for everyone else with rust, let's see some pics!

Last edited by 85badger; 10-18-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: added sentence
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

BTW....since I know someone will ask>> What part of the country do you live? well IMO, that shouldn't matter! My Landcruiser was bought here and still lives here with many trips to NJ during the winter time, still no rust.

Wichita, Ks is the answer.

Last edited by 85badger; 10-18-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: added abbreviation
Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Moderator: sorry, need to move this to body and interior. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Pecos Bill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85badger View Post
Moderator: sorry, need to move this to body and interior. Thanks!
I can't find it, where did it go?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:28
RedneckMechanic is on a distinguished road

Are we talking body rust here? Cuz I have a pretty good spot growing on my driver's rear fender at the back of the wheel well. I saw it when I bought the truck and didn't think anything of it. Just a bubble in the paint after a repair, I thought. Until it started getting bigger and bigger. And the paint kept pushing further and further out and finally the clear coat started to crack. So now, I have a silver dollar sized "rust pimple" on my rear fender that has festered into a dime sized hole. Or soon to be a hole... I'm thinking about punching through the rust, chipping off the bubbled paint, sanding it down, primering and then putting fender flares on to hide it... I know my truck originated in Indiana, so that explains the start of it all... And here in Oregon with all the rain, it's just gonna get worse if I don't do anything about it... Oh, and my exhaust pipe clamps are just about gone at the muffler. In fact I think one isn't even holding anything. It's just flopping around...
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckMechanic View Post
Are we talking body rust here? Cuz I have a pretty good spot growing on my driver's rear fender at the back of the wheel well. I saw it when I bought the truck and didn't think anything of it. Just a bubble in the paint after a repair, I thought. Until it started getting bigger and bigger. And the paint kept pushing further and further out and finally the clear coat started to crack. So now, I have a silver dollar sized "rust pimple" on my rear fender that has festered into a dime sized hole. Or soon to be a hole... I'm thinking about punching through the rust, chipping off the bubbled paint, sanding it down, primering and then putting fender flares on to hide it... I know my truck originated in Indiana, so that explains the start of it all... And here in Oregon with all the rain, it's just gonna get worse if I don't do anything about it... Oh, and my exhaust pipe clamps are just about gone at the muffler. In fact I think one isn't even holding anything. It's just flopping around...
Yes, specifically the rust above the rear wheels. I've got the same thing both sides...looks like hell! The rest of the truck looks great!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:43 PM

OK, thought so. Yeah, looks like I have a big paint pimple on my driver's side. REALLY need to do something about it before the rain gets too bad here. Otherwise there will be NO saving the bedside... But what do I want to drive around with more: a rust spot or a primered patch with a hole through it... Well, at least until I can get some flares... How big are your spots?? I'll have to look and see if the other side is doing it too...
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

Its kinda wierd my girlfriends dad wrecked his 05 several times including sliding it against a guard rail before she bought it from him. With all its dings,dents,scratches and rust the wheel wells are still pretty well off and we deal with western pa winters and salt
Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Hmm... Weird. Maybe it was just a year or two that had the problem. I reached up in there and felt that that is where two body panels come together. I'm assuming the inner fender well and the actual bedside. Maybe they weren't properly treated at the factory...? I have no idea. I just know I need to do something soon, or it's going to be a lot uglier soon. Luckily I have a black truck and it's not TOO noticeable... Other than the fender flares, I was thinking about a fiberglass prerunner bed from Glassworks Unlimited... But flares would DEFINITELY be cheaper...
Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

Their are two small spots around the wheel lip that just seem to be from chips in the paint. I ground them out and painted them knowing that they'll be covered with the flares I'm installing soon, paint that doesnt match is better then rust