DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-18-2011, 04:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright White CC
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
gale155 is on a distinguished road
Default Window ventvisor question.

I've had my 2011 Ram for a little over a month, and have done three minor mods...Weathertech molded mudflaps, chrome Mopar hood deflector, and Mopar stirrup steps. The problem is that I don't really like any of them now that I've got them on, but I'm going to have to wait a while to switch them out, lest I incur the wife's wrath.

Window deflectors are the next mod on my list, but now I'm gun-shy on what to buy. I want in-channels, but at the moment it appears that the only thing available for my regular cab is the AVS in-channel ventvisors that attach with 3-M tape. I've had Weathertechs on a couple of cars, but on my Ram I like the idea of the the deflectors not going all the way down to the base of the window...which the AVS ventvisors do not. However, I can't wrap my pea-brain around the concept of in-channels attaching with 3-M tape. I've seen a couple of short threads on these, but there's not a great deal of information.

Do you guys who have these like them? The important factors for me is no increase in wind noise, or turbulence inside the cab with the windows down. Thanks in advance...this is a great site.
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:54
Stagman will become famous soon enough

I have the Stampede in channel that use the 3M tape. Mine do go all the way down on the front window, to the front of the window. I have had several sets of the in channels with tape and never had one come loose. Key is to follow the instructions and clean the area well with the provided alcohol pads. I experience less wind turbulence, but possibly a slight increase in wind noise with the window up all the way. However IMO its not a significant increase. The plus of not having rain blow in when I roll the window down to smoke outweighs any noise, cause with out them I got soaked in a mist. I got the smoke colored and think they look good with the tinted windows. I toyed with the idea of the chrome, but saw a couple trucks with similar and thought they did not blend in well. Good luck
Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 AM

Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
300MAG is on a distinguished road

I have used the avs on 2 trucks now, never had one come off or loose, just prep the area with the supplied acholol and adhesion promoter, install key window closed for a 24 hours.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks guys. So the tape adheres to felt-like factory weatherstripping? That just seems like an odd method to me. What if you have to remove them for some reason? I guess you could use heat to get them out...hopefully without damaging anything. I imagine the tape isn't as tenacious as that used for badges, etc.

Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:25 PM

Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
300MAG is on a distinguished road

You could remove them by prying the tape off the felt srface with flat blade screwdriver or plastic putty knive, I dont recommend heat. Same or similar tape used on badges
Old 10-18-2011, 06:10 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:28
RedneckMechanic is on a distinguished road

I agree with the other guys. I had AVS in channels on my old Hemi and was very satisfied with them. I do suggest though, if you install them, roll the window up and leave it there for a day just to seat everything and make sure it adheres. I never had a problem with mine coming loose. Yeah, it does seem odd that they would stick to the felt, but they work. Quite well... Just my $.02
Old 10-19-2011, 02:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckMechanic View Post
I agree with the other guys. I had AVS in channels on my old Hemi and was very satisfied with them. I do suggest though, if you install them, roll the window up and leave it there for a day just to seat everything and make sure it adheres. I never had a problem with mine coming loose. Yeah, it does seem odd that they would stick to the felt, but they work. Quite well... Just my $.02
Thanks. I've used Weathertech in-channels (no tape) on two different vehicles...with very different results. The first was a 97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC, and the other was an 06 Monte Carlo SS. They worked flawlessly on the Mark, and actually reduced what little wind noise there was to nearly imperceptible levels. The SS, however, was a completely different story in that they didn't seem to fit right, moved around visibly in response to window movement, rattled and increased wind noise and turbulence. Weathertech makes quality products, so I wrote the problems off to crappy GM build variances.