DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Crew, Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:17
TLAMAY is on a distinguished road
Default Tonneau Cover type / brand

Good afternoon. I'm looking for some advice / guidance on a tonneau cover for my '09 Ram, crew cab, short box. I will not buy a "snap" cover due to experience with my dad's truck. I'm thinking a tri-fold hard cover so it will at least allow tall items to fit in the bed when opened. My question is, where to start: What type, brand, etc. have people had experience with, good or bad. I'm not looking to break the bank, but also don't want to buy cheap and have to replace in two years. Pictures are good too, so pass 'em on!

Thank you.
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Trim Level: st
Color: deep water blue pearl coat
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:14
daggertats is on a distinguished road

i will give you my experiences with a fiberglass cover and an undercover hard tonneau . i also had a soft cover and agree with you. dont care for those too much although now adays they seem to be made alot better and have better warranties. first my fiberglass one. it was painted to match the truck which was nice. sat on top of the bed rails. only two things i didnt like was thr weight issuse if you had to take it off and where it curved to on the edge to meet the truck bed it had a stress type cracking . the under cover was black. very light weight if you had to remove it also water proof. i like this cover the best out of all the different ones i had. several members have the bakflip one and i do like the looks of that, my only concern is where it folds if that would ever crack. perhaps they can chime in on that matter. hope this helps some .
Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2wd Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Rep:10
P Rod is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to a website, http://www.tonneaucoversworld.com/ you don't have to buy from them, but you can compair alot of different styles and brands. I bought the Bakflip f1 and am very happy with it. works well and Looks good on my truck. Shop around, Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bakflip jpeg.jpg (116.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:79
M n M will become famous soon enough

There are numerous threads on here about Tonneau covers. I got the Bakflip and am happy with it. Mine looks like the one P Rod posted.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab 4x4
Color: inferno red crystal pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
SEVENOV9 is on a distinguished road

i to have a backflip and although some issues with the centering of it,,,my fault.. i love it and its simple and had many compliments from strangers. it works well.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Hemi 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Metalic Gray and silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
ritchie is on a distinguished road

had the factory dodge trifold hard cover installed by dealer at delivery of my truck so you get a full warranty on it. it was replaced due to a leak in the center panel because of a design flaw; not 100% leak free but looks good and is lockable. new one still leaks!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:398
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice

I have a bakflip G2, it does a great job of keeping things dry and very easy to use. After the initial install I can remove or install it in under 5 minutes with no help....The only weakness it has show is that hail will dent it. These pics are from when it was just installed.

2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Rep:26
ken99 is on a distinguished road

When I bought my 2010, I wanted a bed cover that gave me maximum use of the bed when rolled up and didn't require storage off the truck. In Montana, hail storms in summer and ice build up in winter are considerations. The shudder and bi-fold type rollups look nice and give great security, but I didn't want to be scaping ice off the cover when it's -20F to get use of the bed. I installed the Access brand of soft covers. After two summers and one winter I've been very happy with my choice. Instead of snaps, this cover uses heavy hook & loop (aka Velcro) strips that run the length of the sides rail. Snow and ice simply shake off the vinyl for the most part, and whats left I simply roll up for bed use. Last July, in a hail storm that did $6,500 in damage to the truck, the fully exposed Access cover came through unscathed. Yes, a sharp knife like a box cutter will no doubt lay it open with little effort.

If you consider this brand of cover, do not waste your money on the top of the line or deluxe model. It comes with a set of "tie down rings" that are worthless and a cord that connects the left and right latches for "one-handed" operation. Those extras are not worth the cost.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram MEGA cab
Color: Dark Grey Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:137
millon9 will become famous soon enoughmillon9 will become famous soon enough

I've had my cover since I first bought my truck, it was my first addition! I think I bought it for about 350, and it's lasted me 4 1/2 years now, without a single issue. It's not so much a 'hard' fold up, in the sense that I wouldn't stand on it. It's made of a nice grade leather, and there are 3 horizontal braces underneath. It's held onto the bedrail near the cab with hand-tightened big plastic wing nut, and the rear, near the tailgate, with spring loaded pull handles. I can fold it up, exposing 2/3s of the bed in less than 15 seconds, and fully uninstall exposing the whole bed in well under 3 minutes. You can put it back on in roughly the same time frame, it's pretty ridiculous. It's called the Trifecta, and it's made by Extang. Real easy to make it look fresh and new too, just put a little tire shine gel on it, and it's shiny black again! I've done that about 2 or 3 times, and although people have told me it may not be good for the leather, it doesn't seem to have affected it at all.

www.woundedwarriorproject.org
Donate and help the people who gave limbs to help you!

Jason
Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:24
Dperk is on a distinguished road

I have the Extang Trifecta on my 09 CC and it is a terrible fit.

Very disappointed!!