DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 99 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST - Very Base Model
Color: Red with grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:48
Dieselkiss is on a distinguished road
Default '99 Ram center console/seats removal - How to.

Ok folks, being unbelievably anal about a clean interior, about every 6 months or so I like to remove my seats and center console so I can REALLY detail the interior.
I thought I'd give a quick run down on how to do this, as it never hurts to read someone else's experience.

It's a total of 16 bolts. Now, you could, I suppose, just unbolt the floor bolts and remove the entire seat/console unit as one if you have the space to open the doors full and a second person to help - This is an ASSUMPTION. So don't quote me on that. I didn't so they had to come out separately.

1. The center console is mounted to struts coming off the seats themselves. I saw no way to detach those struts so can only assume you can't. It's not problem though, look on the underside of the console and there are 4 13mm bolts holding the console to the struts. The back ones are a little tight to get to, and after a point I found a socket was too big and had to switch to a standard wrench. Once these bolts are removed, the console will come out but you'll need to feed the seat belt receivers through the little elastic bands on the side of the console. Remove the console first!! You can't remove the seats unless you do and it also makes access easier to the seat mount bolts.

2. The two front bolts and the outside rear nut for the seats themselves are 16mm and are accessible with a wrench. They are VERY tight and also fitted with locking compound so they take a lot of force to get that intial 'crack'. Mine were stiff all of the way out, so just keep going.

3. The inside rear bolt on the seats is an 18mm nut because the center console strut mounts here as do the seat belt anchors. Again, it's tight and locked with sealant. You'll need to slide the seats back and fourth to gain access to the nuts.

4. Once the bolts are out, I found it easier to fold the back of the seat forward. Then lift over the rear bolts and remove the seats.

Yep it's that simple.
When replacing, do it in reverse. Seats first then console. Clean off the compound from the threads and retreat with fresh locking compound.
I don't have the torque settings for the nuts and bolts I'm afraid, but I would recommend damned tight lol I used a short lever bar on the end of my wrench to give it that extra tight.

Not a complex job, not a tough job, but like everything there are easy and there are difficult ways. I don't have pics I'm afraid because I decided to write this how to AFTER I'd finished the job. I hope, at least, my experience can help someone.
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

Nice write up! Thanks for doing that.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: baja/prerunner
Color: white w/ barbed wire & dents
Rep:192
mr.lopar has a spectacular aura aboutmr.lopar has a spectacular aura about

ditto, good write up. you can pull each seat one at a time without removing the center console, though it is a bit tricky
Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM

Vehicle: 99 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST - Very Base Model
Color: Red with grey
Rep:48
Dieselkiss is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys!

Mr.Lopar, can you explain how?

In mine, the front brackets for the console are attached to the seat mounts via four little pins that as far as I could tell do not detach. These brackets come out with the seats, and the rear brackets for the console are mounted to the rear bolts for the seats and sit on top of the seat brackets - so the console isn't independent of the seats. While I don't intend ripping them all out for another 6 months or so, I would be interested to know how this could be done out of pure idle curiosity - and because I'm a total nerd lol
Old 10-29-2011, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: baja/prerunner
Color: white w/ barbed wire & dents
Rep:192
mr.lopar has a spectacular aura aboutmr.lopar has a spectacular aura about

when i put the racing seats in my truck i didnt wanna pull the whole unit out as i did one seat a day and had places to go the next, i unbolted the 4 floor bolts/nuts, and noticed the center console was atached to the inner seat brackets, so i unbolted the to bolt next to the seat, and put a block of wood under the center console to hold it up. i thought i had a pic of one of the seats out but guess i dont
Old 05-24-2014, 01:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
hwy97 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone came up with a fix for the "elbow crack" the center consoles like my '07? I bought this new and it's really the only cosmetic issue and it's ugly. I could live with a slightly different color grey if the top could be re-upholstered. Anyone dealt with this?