DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
DodgeGuy85 is on a distinguished road

Well looks like I was able to save the tranny...I went and got fluid,filter again ! and a bottle of Lucas stop slip I know alot of people don't like it or say it's not good to use in these trannys but I said what the hell what could I lose if Its going to blow then it will so figured I'd try it.I adjusted the rear band before putting pan back on,I didnt mess with the front band due to not knowing exactly where it was.I also disconnected the supply line into cooler and flushed all the water out from torque converter,there was a bunch of water still in system finally got it to run clear fluid after putting almost 8 quarts of fluid until it cleared the water. Topped it off and added the lucas and took her for a drive around the neighborhood for like 10-15 mins and it seemed to be shifting fine again it did down shift hard at one point but i think It was just the fluid still trying to work its way all the way thru the system.But it seems to be ok now. I'll know tomorrow what happens when I drive it to work. Thanks again yall for the help on this I am very very greatful ! ~Ronnie~
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2011, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Glad to see your effort payed off I hate to see anyone go through that. Good luck for tomorrow let us all know how it did.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:51 PM

Vehicle: 1996 ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
DodgeGuy85 is on a distinguished road

Well made it to work ok this morning it was shifting fine and surprisingly smooth.Got to work parked and notice a little puddle of tranny fluid under it.Looked underneath and seen it leaking from the front of bell housing guess the seal inside is shot.Got off work and 95% of the way home was still shifting fine and smooth then 2 miles from the house it didnt want to shift running between 55-60mph it would upshift when I got on it but would'nt shift down in gear to run at that speed and I was in overdrive. Pulled over to check it out and it wouldnt downshift until around 25mph and it downshifted all at once not gear by gear like it should. pulled dipstick, fluid was red and clear and at a good level.Went to take back off and truck would'nt move you could feel it trying but had to give it some gas then finally went.It shifted into second and third but nothing else made it home barely was catching and slipping all the way to driveway, went to turn in and it gave up couldnt pull into driveway tried everything I left it where it was to let it cool down then was able to get it on the driveway.Well needless to say I'm done with it I figured, well I only bought it for $1,500 and its about $12-1,500 to rebuild so made the decision to just borrow a loan from the parents to just get a newer more reliable truck.I can't complain it lasted a good while I've owned it for 2 years and put 15,000 miles on it so I got my moneys worth out of it.Just tired of dumping money into it. Going to strip everything out wednesday and call a junk car place to come pick it up.Going to buy a newer truck sometime this week or by next weekend.I should be able to atleast get $500 out of it since motor still runs strong so we'll see what happens. Any one need parts? LOL
Old 10-25-2011, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

That sucks sorry bout truck. hope you can find another newer ram!