DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default Ford 300 parts

This is kind of sad(to me), I've come to a decision that I won't be able to get the power I want out of my 300 inline six in my F100. So I'm going to sell off all the performance parts I've been collecting for 5+ years. Some of these parts are really rare and haven't been made for 30+ years. Like I said this is kind of a shame, but oh well, I gotta figure out what motor I'll go with...

Here's what I'll be unloading(from memory) I'm sure there's more. Doubt there's interest here just thought I'd share:

- FORGED crank
- Stock crank, reground IIRC
- Holman Moody Intake manifold
- Headers(don't remember the brand...)
- Stock head ported, polished, 2.02" intake valve(IIRC) and larger exhaust valve(sorry don't remember the size, I want to say ~1.7"). All head work was done by Scovilles machine shop in Cocoa, FL(very reputable).
- Crane 272 hydraulic cam
- Crane springs that matched the cam(don't remember what part number but they are dual or triple springs and were a match to the cam).
- Comp anti pump up lifters
- Comp(IIRC) chromoly pushrods
- Crane roller rockers(gold, full rollers)
- Aluminum pushrod access cover(IIRC the brand is "precision engine service" or something like that...) This is brand new never used.
- Aluminum rods that I got in a trade from thefrenchtownflyer on fordsix, I believe they are chevy rods he had used them in his car.
- I think I still have an MSD 6AL or whatever the model is(the popular one) and a blaster 2 coil.
- C4 transmission, rebuilt by Ellis Road Transmissions in Melbourne, FL. Had them put a mild shift kit in it(not sure what kit), and they worked the stock torque converter to a 2,000 rpm stall IIRC. I put about MAYBE 5-10k miles on the trans and then it has been sitting for 4-5 years now. Ran perfect, never abused it but like I said has been sitting(out of the truck).

Hopefully I can at least make some money off this stuff. I scored the forged crank at a steal of a couple hundred bucks. I think I can sell it for a lot more. I was offered $2000 for it one time but wouldn't let it go. If I can get money like that for it I'll probably break even with everything when it's all said and done.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 PM

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
This is kind of sad(to me), I've come to a decision that I won't be able to get the power I want out of my 300 inline six in my F100.
What do you want to get out of it? That's a great engine & with some Clifford Research performance parts can really make a lot of power -- rev real high too, if you want 'em to. Years ago a friend of mine built a stepside pickup with the 300 inline-6 for hill-climbing events & I got to mess with it a little bit too -- nobody could believe it until they saw it, but it beat a 454 Chevy pickup which was the last one left in the contest -- down to just those two. Yes the Chevy had more top-end HP, but it was cammed for top-end power & just threw rooster-tails of mud in the air -- spun the tires & couldn't get up the hill -- while the Ford walked right on up with a much wider TORQUE band. (18.5 x 44 tires & 5.13 Lockers on both ends).

Don used the Clifford manifold for 3 Weber side-draft DCOE carbs, a Clifford cam, 3-1 equal-length headers, a Mallory ignition & it's been so long that I don't remember the HP / torque numbers exactly, but I do know it was well over 1 HP per c.i. & nearly 2 ft./lbs. torque / c.i. He didn't build that engine to rev as high as they will go (8500) because a super-wide torque band was the main goal & to make it peak @ the crossover point of 5252 rpm -- peak HP was @ about 6000. (HP is a mathematical function of torque: HP = (torque x rpm) / 5252).

I wish I had the $$$ to buy those parts from you as I've got an E250 van with a shot 302 in it & I'd much rather replace it with the 300 6 than another 302, but alas I don't have the $$$. But I am curious as to what you're looking for with that engine since they're so darn good! I've had a couple of 'em & they're darn near indestructable!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Indeed I do love it, but I'm looking to hit single digits in my F100 in the 1/4 mile. I don't think it'll be possible, or it'll be barely possible(and costly). I had a strong running 300, revved to about 6,500 rpm with that cam, and made tremendous torque. Same hp as a similar sized v8, but more torque. Got good mpg too...

The thing is I can get a newer, iron block aluminum head with good flowing heads and fuel injection and build it up and reach my goal. With the 300 the head is a huge weak point. Mine was ported and had big valves and still performed just sort of "good". Aftermarket support is somewhat there, but I've just decided to not use this engine. Also, it is heavier than most newer v8's.

I love the 300 and I HATE to sell off the parts I've collected but seems if I won't use them there's no point in keeping them. That forged crank and holman moody intake manifold haven't been made in many many years and are rare. I also spent a lot of time porting the head and spend good money having all the machine work done to it, but in any case, it is what it is...

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM

IIRC The way I had it built(without the forged crank, aluminum rods, and holman moody intake installed) I had ~400hp and ~450lb ft. That was with stock compression ratio too which was like 8.5:1 or something like that. I was going to put those parts in, raise compression to about 11:1, run an aftermarket direct port EFI setup with direct port nitrous and I think if I did this or turbo I may have gotten to my goal, but that's a lot to ask of 300 cubic inches...

I'm thinking of building either a big block with nitrous or a turbo small block as a replacement...

Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 PM

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Y'know, there's a guy with a Falcon running (I think) a 250 c.i. Ford inline-6 with a Procharger centrifugal supercharger that runs single-digits in the quarter & I'm thinking high 7's, but I'll have to look it up. With the low compression pistons you can run 12, 15, or even 20 lbs. of boost without breaking expensive parts -- you could actually go as high as 30, but . . . . . Weber also makes a direct port EFI setup for the 300 six, but the parts you've got would work with the blower.

I'll see if I can find the article I'm thinking of & again I wish I had the $$$ 'cause I'd buy those parts from you in a heartbeat if I did. But I'd say there's a good chance someone else would want 'em too.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 PM

Yeah I'm familiar with some cars and trucks running single digits with ford and chevy inline sixes. They are all turbo and VERY expensive builds.

My favorite is "the mighty 6" chevy pickup:

Damn that thing flies! lol

I've just decided to go the "easy" way. Where aftermarket parts are easy and cheap. I was so set on building this 300, but it's just not the prime candidate for the job...