DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: none
Rep:10
fxdrider is on a distinguished road
Default Need New Door Mirror - wondering about style-swap.

I have the power heated tow package mirrors on my '03, and I managed to break the passenger-side unit while getting it acquainted with a tree (long story). So I need a new one, obviously. I never liked the way they have the actual glass on this one - it's not the standard "objects are closer than they appear" mirror - just a regular piece of mirror with a fish-eye wide angle pasted to the top. I'm wondering if the non-trailer tow package mirrors have the wider-view mirror glass in them. Does anyone know? If that's the case, I'll just buy a pair of those and be done with it. I don't really have a use for the trailer tow package mirrors anyway.
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2011, 08:12 PM
erm

I don't think the non-towing mirrors are wider.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:28
RedneckMechanic is on a distinguished road

I believe the mirrors WILL mount up. The only thing different is the actual BODY of the mirror. Not the mounting surfaces. I know a gentleman here that had the same thing happen (lost the driver's mirror), he didn't like the towing mirrors so he put the regular mirrors on.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckMechanic View Post
I believe the mirrors WILL mount up. The only thing different is the actual BODY of the mirror. Not the mounting surfaces. I know a gentleman here that had the same thing happen (lost the driver's mirror), he didn't like the towing mirrors so he put the regular mirrors on.
Yeah, I believe they will fit okay. I was just wondering if the passenger side mirror of the "regular" style mirrors is a wider-angle view ("objects are closer than they appear" like every other motor-vehicle in the world, or is it just a piece of glass like the tow-package mirror is. From all the internet searches I've done, it seems that at some point in time, Dodge stopped putting the wide-angle mirrors on their trucks. My '96 Ram had the wide-angle passenger mirror - it's really a necessity when passing/changing lanes. You just can't see all you should be seeing with these non-wide angle mirrors. I believe every car or truck I've owned or driven since the late 1970's has the wide-angle passenger mirrors, the ones that say "objects are closer than they appear". But for some reason, not late-models Dodge vehicles. I even found a recall on passenger mirrors for Dodge: http://repairpal.com/dodge-ram_1500-recall-94v025002. I'm not sure if this recall has anything to do with what I'm talking about or not, but the whole premise sounds kind of strange.

Last edited by fxdrider; 10-23-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Well, I went ahead and ordered a pair of the stock-style mirrors from LMC. They arrived today, and as I was hoping - they have the wide-angle glass that says "objects closer than they appear". Unfortunately, the mirror arrived with the mirror housing of the the passenger side mirror broken away from the mount and just hanging by the wiring. They're sending me a new one. But I'll be another week without a passenger-side mirror.