DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I vote yes on the does it work now bet.... I don't see how it could be anything else!!
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram, 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport and Laramie
Color: Black Sport, White Laramie
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:10
kslongrider is on a distinguished road

Well, I've been messing with it all morning. A new Mopar switch and pigtail with matching color coded wires went in and still have the same symptoms. So I went underneath and unplugged the 2 plugs behind the driver's fenderwell that connect to the wiring for the back of the truck thinking if there was a problem in the wiring I'd see if that made any difference. No difference. I despise wiring issues.... Its obviously not a switch issue though.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

OK....lets forget everything that's been done so far, and start over fresh.

1st - Need to verify the switch operation. Do you have an 'Ohm' meter?
Disconnect the switch from the wiring and we will run some tests on the switch itself.
Using the 'Ohm' meter,
Place one lead on the 'B2' terminal, and the other lead on the 'R' terminal
What are your readings under the following conditions -
Switch in 'Off' position -
Switch in 'Park' position -
Switch in 'Headlight' position -

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have an 'Ohm' meter, let me know what electrical test tools you have available to you, and I will figure out how to run the tests using what you have.

Hopefully we can connect on-line at the same time and can do this through 'Chat', as that would speed things up.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Hmmph. I've never been much of a gambler. The only thing I can think of is to depin your light switch connector, one pin at a time. Also, I do not believe the headlight switch operates without a relay, or two. one of them had to have fried, and is not transferring contacts properly. problem is, I do not have a diagram that says anything about a relay. It doesn't make sense that they would run all the power thru the switch, it's too 70s-ish. Wiring costs money, and a relay right close to the battery would save time and weight in wiring. I hope when you find the problem, that you will post!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamintrashcan View Post
Hmmph. I've never been much of a gambler. The only thing I can think of is to depin your light switch connector, one pin at a time. Also, I do not believe the headlight switch operates without a relay, or two. one of them had to have fried, and is not transferring contacts properly. problem is, I do not have a diagram that says anything about a relay. It doesn't make sense that they would run all the power thru the switch, it's too 70s-ish. Wiring costs money, and a relay right close to the battery would save time and weight in wiring. I hope when you find the problem, that you will post!!!
No relays in his truck for this circuit. The physical switch handles all the current for the lights. There have been a number of trucks of this year that have had the light switch connector melt due to this. I agree it's so 70's...but it is what it is. The circuit is so basic, it's sickening....that's why it just doesn't make sense. The problem keeps pointing at the switch, but he's now replaced the switch 5 times! I can't believe it's the switch anymore, but have to run the basic tests on it to verify once and for all that the switch is actually switching the terminals that we are expecting the switching to take place on.

BTW - I have the complete wiring diagram for this; probably one of the worst circuit diagrams I've ever seen, but at least all the information is there....spread randomly over many pages. LOL

Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 AM

Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)

I am at work today but will start on this when I get done with chores this evening. I do have an ohm meter so we can run these checks.
Thanks for hanging in there.
Barry
Old 11-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Looking at the terminal drawing, I don't see an R terminal and I don't see one labelled on the switch either. Barry
Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 PM

Okay assuming the R terminal is beside B2, as in pink/red wire and yellow/black wire. So with the switch unpluged when I pull to the park position and headlight position the meter reads around .4. In the off postion it reads 1.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Just some guy in Canada

The R terminal is across the connector from B2. Here is the drawing -

Since different meters display differently, I need to know what yours displays when the leads are not connected to anything. I'm expecting something like "1---".