DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion


Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-10-2011, 11:31 PM
miketen07's Avatar
miketen07 miketen07 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denver/Alanta
Age: 25
Posts: 30
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram quad cab 2wd
Trim Level: big horn
Color: black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
miketen07 is on a distinguished road
Default 2010 Dodge Ram crew w/3.21 gears beating every Truck on the street!!! minus srt's&svt's lol

ok so i own a total of (3) dodge rams i got 1 2010 crew big horn 2wd hemi with a 3.92 gears and a lsd i gave my 2011 dodge small back doors 4.7L to my little brother and i drive my 2010 crew cab big horn hemi with 3.21 gears and a open rear end. i line up with just about everything. the 3.92 truck used to be the quickest of the bunch until i bought a diablo. the 3.21 truck barley stood up with the 91oct tune. then i rasied the shift points to 5900rpm and now the 3.21 walks the 3.92 truck. i raced my cousins 2009 little back door hemi on 17's with flowmaster exhaust and k&n filter and he does stand a chance. i raced a 2004 duramx crew with edge evo,afe intake, and 5inch turbo back exhaust and we stould fender to fender and he was on his highest tune. i thought i met my match thow against a single cab 2001 silverado with a 5.3L 2wd shortbed with long tube headers,intake,tune,exhaust,cam,and a stall converter and 4.10 gears. we hit it at 30-35 mph and everytime i had him by a few feet until 115mph so far this truck has 15k miles runs great has 20in wheels and with tuner gets about 22mpg on the highway. i know alot of you guys hate racing in your 3.21 gears but top end there awsome. but just to add i hate racing from a dead my tuck dosent pull until 4k rpm.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 08-11-2011, 12:33 AM
TheSatinPumpkin's Avatar
TheSatinPumpkin TheSatinPumpkin is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Robles Junction/Three Points, AZ
Posts: 3,719
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 7
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all
Default

Sounds good..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketen07 View Post
ok so i own a total of (3) dodge rams i got 1 2010 crew big horn 2wd hemi with a 3.92 gears and a lsd i gave my 2011 dodge small back doors 4.7L to my little brother and i drive my 2010 crew cab big horn hemi with 3.21 gears and a open rear end. i line up with just about everything. the 3.92 truck used to be the quickest of the bunch until i bought a diablo. the 3.21 truck barley stood up with the 91oct tune. then i rasied the shift points to 5900rpm and now the 3.21 walks the 3.92 truck. i raced my cousins 2009 little back door hemi on 17's with flowmaster exhaust and k&n filter and he does stand a chance. i raced a 2004 duramx crew with edge evo,afe intake, and 5inch turbo back exhaust and we stould fender to fender and he was on his highest tune. i thought i met my match thow against a single cab 2001 silverado with a 5.3L 2wd shortbed with long tube headers,intake,tune,exhaust,cam,and a stall converter and 4.10 gears. we hit it at 30-35 mph and everytime i had him by a few feet until 115mph so far this truck has 15k miles runs great has 20in wheels and with tuner gets about 22mpg on the highway. i know alot of you guys hate racing in your 3.21 gears but top end there awsome. but just to add i hate racing from a dead my tuck dosent pull until 4k rpm.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2011, 01:33 AM
chefred112's Avatar
chefred112 chefred112 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,731
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 9
Rep:647
chefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to all
Default

too bad you don't live in the same town that kay or i live in...we'd give you a little run for your money
__________________
-fast freddie-
one quick 05 hemi qc...with over 250k miles on odo... on the 5.7...stoker 6.4 now, new times coming
performance mods: yes 1/8 - 7.85 @ 93.20, 1/4 - 12.10 @ 113.96
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 AM
snrusnak's Avatar
snrusnak snrusnak is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando
Age: 27
Posts: 13,310
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep Power: 12
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default

^ makes sense, the more elapsed time you can keep the motor in the powerband the more it will pull! 350ft lbs at 1000rpm pulls the same as 350ft lb at 5000rpm. The longer period of time you are in a range with the most torque the better! This is very interesting, I was looking at swapping my 3.55 to 4.56 but am afraid of over gearing it.... (I have 4.7L).

I believe timmy also runs a quick 1/4 mile with 3.21's....
__________________
Sean

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 PM
CHVYKLR's Avatar
CHVYKLR CHVYKLR is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 2,364
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 6
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about
Default

if numerically lower gears were the answer everyone at the track would be swapping to 'em but it is awesome the DSP and shift point mod had such a huge effect.

rusnak, i'd still do the gear swap...numerically higher gears are a "torque multiplier"
__________________
Turbo / Trans by L&M Customs (MGH)

Stage 2 is underway by L&M Customs & HHP
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 PM
snrusnak's Avatar
snrusnak snrusnak is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando
Age: 27
Posts: 13,310
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep Power: 12
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
if numerically lower gears were the answer everyone at the track would be swapping to 'em but it is awesome the DSP and shift point mod had such a huge effect.

rusnak, i'd still do the gear swap...numerically higher gears are a "torque multiplier"
I understand, but there is a balance. It's possible for a vehicle with lower numerical gearing to run a faster 1/4 mile than with higher gearing....all else being equal. You want to gear it so you spend the most time at rpm's where the engine puts out the most torque....
__________________
Sean

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-13-2011, 03:05 PM
chefred112's Avatar
chefred112 chefred112 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,731
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 9
Rep:647
chefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^ makes sense, the more elapsed time you can keep the motor in the powerband the more it will pull! 350ft lbs at 1000rpm pulls the same as 350ft lb at 5000rpm. The longer period of time you are in a range with the most torque the better! This is very interesting, I was looking at swapping my 3.55 to 4.56 but am afraid of over gearing it.... (I have 4.7L).

I believe timmy also runs a quick 1/4 mile with 3.21's....
you can never over gear a 4.7, I run 4.56's on 30" street tires on 17's and never think that I don't have enough gear...and i still get good gas mileage..
__________________
-fast freddie-
one quick 05 hemi qc...with over 250k miles on odo... on the 5.7...stoker 6.4 now, new times coming
performance mods: yes 1/8 - 7.85 @ 93.20, 1/4 - 12.10 @ 113.96
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-13-2011, 03:09 PM
snrusnak's Avatar
snrusnak snrusnak is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando
Age: 27
Posts: 13,310
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep Power: 12
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
you can never over gear a 4.7, I run 4.56's on 30" street tires on 17's and never think that I don't have enough gear...and i still get good gas mileage..
I have a desktop dyno and drag time program, and according to the program the same setup with 4.10 runs a faster 1/4 mile by like 1 tenth.

I'm debating between 4.10 and 4.56..... How is your gas mileage with the 4.56...primarily highway mileage?
__________________
Sean

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Rayminator Rayminator is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Age: 62
Posts: 53
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport
Trim Level: Sport 2WD
Color: Deep Ocean Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Rayminator is on a distinguished road
Default

Run it at the track, and see how disappointed you are.

It may have a sweet spot or two, on the street. But from a dig, it will be a pooch.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2011, 07:56 PM
916Timmy's Avatar
916Timmy 916Timmy is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
Age: 29
Posts: 5,700
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 8
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of
Default

I called about 4.56's the other day, and I guess they need to clearance the housing a little...is that bad?

I also have a 3.21 truck, running 15.3 @ 94.5 when its 95 degrees out
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
3.21 hemi crew racing vs

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F/S 2010 Dodge 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Zack Birge Dodge Ram For Sale - Used Dodge Trucks 13 03-27-2011 10:50 AM
Dodge Ram K&N 1500 2500 3500 Ramrob Dodge Ram Parts and Accessories for Sale - Trade - Want To Buy! 16 03-21-2010 11:50 AM
New 2010 Dodge Ram owner jdolotina Newbie Checkin! 11 02-06-2010 07:53 PM
2010 January - Dodge Ram Member Of The Month BlueJet 2010 Dodge Ram - MOTM - Archives 28 02-01-2010 11:36 AM
Meet and Greet In The GTA Scheduled for Saturday October 25, 2008 300 Addict Dodge Ram Forum CANADA 35 10-24-2008 05:23 PM


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum