DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Color: black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
dazieff is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Dodge Ram Left side of rad hot right cold

5.9 LTR rad hose and left side of rad is hot The right side of Rad is cold heater is blowing hot air there is A small leak in front of motor I think that runs down the oil pan and leaks at back of motor. Any idea what can cause this thanks Dale
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I'd hazard a guess that your water pump is headed for the hills, so to speak. With the engine OFF, stick your fingers below the water pump pulley, run it across the block down there and see if your fingers come up with any wetness on em. Theres a weep hole on the pulley end of the waterpump bearing and seal, generally speaking, the bearing gets a little worn, letting the shaft run a little off the seals center, and you get a little drippage, impossible to WAG remaining life in the pump. Mine started sounding like it was a rock grinder and never did leak, some people get the weephole leak and the pump never makes any racket. change the thermostat at the same time you change the pump, simpler that way.

As far as your radiator goes, hot water comes in at the top left, runs across, cools down, and is sucked back into the engine at the right , on the bottom. (But cold on the top right??) I'm certain you have looked in there with the cap off?? and it's full?? I can only think it is not full... how hot does your gauge run, at normal op temp?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

your radiator needs what is called RODDING OUT, they pull the radiator, pull of the tanks, run it through a special solution, then take a flat metal rod & push it through all the water channels in the radiator, then put it back into the solution, use water to flush, then blow air through it & put it back together.
Soldering up any leaks & pressure test it & paint it black

It is quite a bit cheaper if you pull the radiator & take it in, to have it done
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-26-2011, 10:58 AM
erm

I agree...you've got a plugged up radiator and it needs to be cleaned out. Also, check your TStat to make sure it isn't open.

Lastly, check the waterpump...there is a weep hole on them that opens up when the pump is near the end of its life.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

That what I thought that rad might be plugged .Water pump is only 2 months old replaced thermostat when I did water pump.Could be weeping on seal as the leak is very minor and seems to come and go.This is the first Dodge Ram Ive owoned so know very little about them
Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 SLT CC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
SeattlePete is on a distinguished road

Is your rad all metal or a hybrid of plastic tanks and aluminum/copper element? If it has plastic tanks, it may be impossible to rod out due to dis-assembly concerns.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Do you think doing a rad flush would do any good or would I be wasting my time. would it be better to drain rad and block before putting flush in. Thanks dazieff
Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 AM

It's always been my experience that the heater core always plugs before the radiator, but I digress, since you didn't say the heater was cold... Anyhow, both my 95 and 98 have plastic tanks, so I would replace the rads in leau of putting acid in em, intake gaskets, hoses, etc have enough to contend with without putting acid in the cooling system. Those miracle flushes, in my humble opinion, can really cause problems. Was your coolant thoroughly disgusting when you drained it for the water pump change? ( I only ask, cuz I've never had a plugged up rad, it surprises me that it actually happens, and I've been on the road for a lot of years...) mine's always been a very clean color, but we have pretty good water, some people have lotsa minerals.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The antifreeze looked good when I changed pump.With every thing I read on this site I decided to pull thermostat and have A look.Even though it was new its sticking open .Its cool in Canada this time of year so would not warm up with thermostat open.Changed stat rad warm across the top .I guess you cant trust new parts either
Old 10-30-2011, 12:21 AM

It's good that its fixed up, I've gotta change the t'stat on my 95, if its reasonable weather tomorrow, bloody cold around here lately, but I shouldn't complain, no snow...yet!!!