DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express Regular Cab
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
1sickram is on a distinguished road
Default Better to cut stock springs or lowered springs?

im wanting to lower my 2012 express lower than a 2/4 drop. i was thinking going with mcg's 2 inch drop spindles and 2 inch springs and rear with the 4 in drop spring. my question is would it be better to cut the factory spring to my desired height or cut the lowered spring that comes with the 2/4 kit? any input would be awesome.
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2011, 09:47 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Don't go cutting springs without care, it is very dangerous. Some people say they've done it this way or that, and it was fine, but they are just lucky most of the time, I've seen many bad results, and they usually occur under high stress moments(like a hard corner/swerving, or panic braking).

There are only certain types of springs that can be safely cut, and some of the rear springs on these rams can be safely cut, some(most) can not be safely cut. Fronts can not be safely cut. Either way this won't help you, even if you have the rear type that can be cut you shouldn't cut more than a 2" drop or it becomes unsafe.

How much front/rear drop do you want to end up with? Even if you get the kit, you most likely can't safely cut the front springs, and may or may not be able to safely cut the rears.

EDIT: Also, the method of cutting is important, if you get the springs hot you will ruin them.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Don't go cutting springs without care, it is very dangerous. Some people say they've done it this way or that, and it was fine, but they are just lucky most of the time, I've seen many bad results, and they usually occur under high stress moments(like a hard corner/swerving, or panic braking).

There are only certain types of springs that can be safely cut, and some of the rear springs on these rams can be safely cut, some(most) can not be safely cut. Fronts can not be safely cut. Either way this won't help you, even if you have the rear type that can be cut you shouldn't cut more than a 2" drop or it becomes unsafe.

How much front/rear drop do you want to end up with? Even if you get the kit, you most likely can't safely cut the front springs, and may or may not be able to safely cut the rears.

EDIT: Also, the method of cutting is important, if you get the springs hot you will ruin them.

i would like a 4/6 drop if possible. i was thinking of running 22's, i can get the mcg's 2 inch drop spindles and the 2 inch lowering springs so no cutting of anything in the front. it's the rear thats a pain in the a$$ to accomplish. they have the 4 inch drop spring but needing six. this is my dilemma, what to do.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Can you find a picture of the rear spring from the kit? If you can and post it I can tell you if it can be safely cut.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 PM

will a company out there make somebody a desired spring so we dont have to cut one?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:08 PM

I think there are companies that do that, but I don't know who or what it'd cost. I'd guess it's expensive but let someone else help you out as I'm not sure. Make sure you don't let a shop heat the spring up and let the truck drop to where you want it from it's weight, then let the spring cool, this will ruin the spring (heat) and it is dangerous.

EDIT: If you post a pic maybe you can cut the one in the kit. It can be done and is pretty easy, but you just need to know how to do it safely.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 PM

http://www.fasthemis.com/963SP---Bel...09-2011--.aspx
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 PM

i just noticed in that picture there is only one set of springs. are those for the front or rear? if the rear hows the front lowered with that kid.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 PM

I believe those springs are for the rear. I'm not sure how they lower the front with that kit. I would not cut those springs, it would be dangerous.

Here's a picture of stock rear springs(top is from an RT, bottom from my quad cab):

Notice the RT spring has progressively tighter wound coils near the top, the regular quad cab does not. With the tightly wound coils you can cut a little bit off and still be safe as the majority of the spring will still contact the spring perch. With the spring from the quad cab(and the one from your kit from the picture), they are not tightly wound enough to cut safely as most of the spring would not contact the perch. I got the RT springs from another member on here and am going to cut them to lower my truck in the rear about 2".

Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Also, just so you know I'm technically giving you bad info lol....even the RT springs should technically not be cut, but since they are tightly wound coils it is not unsafe. There is only one type of spring that is safe to be cut and the springs on our trucks are not that type. Like I said though the really tightly wound coils are ok to cut if you are comfortable with that. I just wanted to let you know this as it's technically not good practice to cut these springs.