DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:80
Muddy will become famous soon enough

Sorry to keep bothering you but one last question about your SC Programmer. The knock has been in the truck like I said from day one, but my valve rattle didn't start until I programmed it. Does your valves rattle with your SC programmer at all? Do you think my valves started rattling because my truck has Cali emissions on it? At least I think they started to rattle after I programmed it. To tell you the truth, I have been more worried with the knocking. It may also be the crappy expensive gas we have to use here in the southwest to.
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

No bother man, if I get sick of you I'll just stop signing on lol

I really don't know the answer to your question. I know that with the tuner and a performance tune there is more timing advance, which makes pinging more likely, and that sounds similar to valve tap, so it's a possibility that the noise is from the tuner. HOWEVER, I haven't noticed any noise with my SC and 93 tune using 93 octane, and I'm a heavy quad cab....don't remember if you mentioned what you have...

I did notice some pinging with the 93 tune and 93 octane in the past when I had like 1000 lbs in the bed, but that's to be expected, you're not supposed to haul tow a lot with the performance tune(too much timing advance for a heavy load).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:50 AM

Alright cool then, thanks a lot for the info. And yeah I have a quad cab as well. I just emailed Hypertech again to see if they have any info for me, and I have my truck scheduled for tomorrow morning to see about the knock. Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

No problem, hope you get it worked out. Something else to think about, it sounds like your dealer is tuner friendly, but most/many are not, and I would never tell them I had a tuner on my truck, I think it would give them an easy escape path to get out of warranty service. Something to think about in your future visits. Also, I'm not saying to screw the dealer or rip them off, but just not let them use the tuner as a warranty voider if you have some issue not caused by the tuner.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:37 PM

Yeah I'm not too worried with the dealers here in the southwest. It's the ones in the northeast that give people the most crap. A lot of dealers here in the southwest sale dealer customs that are programmed already with a bunch of other goodies on them. I know the laws; I've had a ton of toys already lol. That and my dad was a hot rodder in his day and still builds chassis for some of the local dragsters around north GA, when he feels like it lol. He's old now. But yeah, I know the laws that protect us with aftermarket products and factory warranties. I've already used them in court against a Mazda dealer in Moon Township, PA because they tried to say my CAI on my Mazda 3 caused them to put 3 qts too much of oil in a 2.3L motor and they tried to void my warranty. I got Mazda North America involved and that fixed everything real quick. The only way an engine warranty is voided is if you actually crack open the block yourself and start replacing parts. Other than that it's fair game. If you replace you air intake, there is no longer a warranty on the intake. However you now have the warranty from the manufacturer of the intake you put on. So you can’t go to the dealer and say," Hey, this intake is broke. Fix it." You have to contact AEM or K&N or whoever and ask for the warranty work to be done. But it you brake a piston rod on a new vehicle say at 1200 miles and you never raced the motor and did the brake in exactly as the manual says, however you did put a CAI on it, they cannot void the manufacturer warranty because there is no way a CAI would cause a rod to brake. So in this case, the dealer would have to repair the broken rod and all other damage that a broken rod would cause under the warranty. It becomes a headache sometimes but it's worth it if you want a car the shows who you are.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
in Moon Township, PA
I'm from USC...I constantly run into people from up north, it seems like there's sooooo many people from PA, it doesn't even make sense lol.

I'm with you on aftermarket parts and warranties. To me, warranties are useless anyway 90% of the time, and usually don't even use or need it anyway. I'm just the kind of person that would rather do the work myself, unless it is something catastrophic that is covered. Any time somebody else does work on my vehicles (usually only for tires), something somehow magically gets scratched or damaged in some way...

Old 11-02-2011, 01:55 AM

Haha yeah. I'm not originally from PA, I was just stationed at the 911th there in Coraopolis for a few years. And I definantly agree about the warranties. I never get suckered into buying the extended ones. I can do most things myself. Only reason I had the Mazda dealer do my oil change was becuase I had just moved there and my tools hadn't arrived yet. Best part of that, they never even change the oil. They just poured more in on top of what was there. Two days later while driving to work, oil starts pushing out of every seal and gasket in the motor. It looked like a horror movie. If it is something I can't fix, I try to fly my dad to wherever I'm at to help me.

Last edited by Muddy; 11-02-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:30 AM

Vehicle: 2011 SLT CC 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:24
SeattlePete is on a distinguished road

"Rod knock" is not the conrod itself, but the rod bearings. If the rod bearings were shot, you'd know it- sounds like angry gnomes with hammers trying to beat their way out.

Your change from Durablend to full synthetic isn't a concern, as the viscosity is the same.

Never heard of 'valve tap' on an engine with hydraulic lifters- unless the valvetrain is loose.

Has any work (plugs, wires, filters, etc) been done to the truck?

You mention you had somebody romp on the throttle. I'd start there, especially as you had a non-stock tune in the truck. IMO, Hypertech's heyday was about 20 years ago, and they are way behind the power curve with regards to tuning/programming. When I used HT, the timing curve was always way advanced, and their chips did a fair amount of damage to folks in the Grand National community. If the guy romped on it and it went way lean/detonated, you may have broken something internally, like a ring land. A knock sensor can pull timing only so fast, and damage can still happen....

Put the truck back to stock, and toss the HT tuner. Get the truck looked at- compression and leakdown tests, check the injectors and fuel pump pressure, timing, etc- the basics.

Once you get the truck running good, get a Predator or Trinity to tune the truck with. Learn what the tuner can and can't do, as its very easy to destroy the engine by adjusting parameters without understanding the ramifications.....
Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 AM

Vehicle: 2011 SLT CC 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:24
SeattlePete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
[COLOR=black]The only way an engine warranty is voided is if you actually crack open the block yourself and start replacing parts. Other than that it's fair game.[/SIZE]
Not true. The engine is designed to operate within certain parameters, and exceeding those parameters (bolting on a supercharger or nitrous, using a programmer that allows you to change parameters outside of factory specs (timing, fueling, RPM limiter, etc), etc) can give the dealer sufficient reason to deny a warranty claim- and that denial can stand up in court.

The Moss Magnuson warranty Act offer great protection, but it is not blanket coverage.

Don't get me wrong-I'm totally for modding a vehicle. Just know what you're getting in to when you start twisting wrenches.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Haha, you said "RAMifications".

Sorry, couldn't resist.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.