DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Haha, you said "RAMifications".

Sorry, couldn't resist.
LOL

While I agree with you, seattlepete, I seriously doubt someone romping on the throttle one time could have any ill effects, especially if he had the proper fuel in the tank for the tune.

The valve tap is pretty common in the 4.7L, mainly at cold start before the hydraulic lifters get pumped up with oil.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:80
Muddy will become famous soon enough

Yeah the valve tap sound I wasn't really too concerned about. I know about the "HEMI Tick" that has been around since the very first HEMI motor. And just about all Chryslers have it in some way if you really listen to your motor. My dad is a HUGE Chrysler motors fan and it was Dodge's and Plymouths that he drag raced when I was growing up. I admit I know about the in's and out's of motors more on the motorcycle side, small engine repair, from racing as a kid. I started racing 50cc's at 5, 80's at 8. Got into AMA road course racing at 13 and was still doing lots of track days up until a year ago when I destroyed my back working for the great people of the USA. So I do know the sounds of a motor when things go bad. The concern I had was just this knock. It just didn't sound normal to me. And there is almost nothing about this current 4.7L on the internet unless you want to know why Dodge developed it and history and crap like that. I want to know how every micro inch of this motor works because that is the way my brain works. I did just get my truck back this morning though and again, nothing is wrong with it. They even broke it down so much as to look at the crank and nothing. At least this time the gentleman did say he heard what did sound like a knock but that he wouldn't worry about it. He also said for a young kid, I take better care of a vehicle then anyone he has ever seen. That the inside of my motor still looked great and nowhere near what they usually look like with 56,000 miles on them. I took that as a great compliment to my dad since he is the one that taught me everything about motors and racing. And as far as tuning voiding a warranty, FALSE! A tuner cannot void a warranty. Ask a dealer this and they will tell you I'm wrong. Ask the corporation that built the car and they will tell you facts. You are right that they manufacture the engines to run in certain perimeters but they always tune them to the lowest points. This gives leeways for them to develop their own aftermarket parts as well as competing companies. If you look at the parts room of any Dodge dealer, you will see after market goodies to increase the power for your car or truck. And these parts are still under a warranty. If you put a MagnaCharger on your vehicle, Dodge won't warranty the MagnaCharger but MagnaCharger will. The rest of your vehicle is still under warranty with the maker of the car or truck until the time of the warranty has lapsed. This is why developers like Hypertech, Superchips, and Diablo etc. only make their programmers to produce power to a certain point. So that they won't void any warranties. My dad has been in the car business and racing business for a very long time, he's 67 now. AND STILL DOES IT AS A HOBBY. He has fought dealers for warranty issues and so have I. And we both always have won, with the help of the corporations that build our fine machines. Maybe he and I have been lucky but I doubt it. Lastly, Chrysler tests all of their products up and down US 95 here in NV. I see them every morning on my way to work and every evening on my way home. I have had the chance to talk with them a couple of times but for whatever reason I always forgot to ask about my truck. These are the engineers that develop these autos that I am lucky enough to talk to. Today, after I picked up my truck, I just so happen to talk to one for about an hour at a Shell station in Indian Springs. My truck came up; he said the knock was because of my Cherry Bomb muffler. So after all of this, and many thanks to everyone that replied with ideas, it has been my muffler all along. He also said to get rid of the Hypertech for any other brand. Sorry Hypertech. And yes, this is a rant to the person who tried to tell me I was wrong. I may be 34, but the doctor that did that, “This is how old you body really is test”, said I’m 60. Meaning, I’ve been around the block. I do not know everything, far from it. But I do know most of what I talk about. I know racing, motorcycles, shade tree mechanic work on cars and trucks, the love of my brothers at arms and of my family. If you disagree, feel free. It’s what I’ve fought for, for the last 15 years. End of story.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

All good info, I don't see how a cherry bomb muffler would cause a knock, but take it off and see if it goes away....Just change one thing at a time though so you can tell what it was...

Old 11-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Eh, I'm gonna leave it on. Love the sound. He got in WAAAAAYYYY over my head bout the way I welded (had help finishing weld) on. Some stuff about back pressure and resonance of sound off of the inner side walls of the bed. Which is why it gets quieter as the truck gets warmer? I just smiled and agreed and was happy and wondering what was under all of the black wrapping of a small hatchback parked in between a 2013 Cherokee and a Ram HD. Really hoping it is the new Fiat hatchback and they are bringing it to the states. I am a sucker for hatchbacks and wagons and was upset Dodge stopped making the Magnum. I am currently looking for a used R/T one that hasn't been abused too much. But if they start bringing the real Fiat's to the states, I can wait lol.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 PM

haha yeah my wife wanted a magnum forever, then she suddenly wanted a RT and I asked why and her response was "so it's faster than yours" lol. Now she wants a trailblazer SS....can't blame her they are SWEET, I am really a GM guy at heart...and gotta love the LS engines.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Ok, last question I promise, and if you can't answer, point me toward someone who can. Why aren’t there any aftermarket headers for this newest gen 4.7L? I have been all over the internet and read as much as I can find. Comparing this 4.7L to current 5.7L, the combustion on the 4.7L is very near to being hemispherical; the intake manifolds are very close. The heads are very close; they even share the same spark configuration. Only thing I can't find is exhaust port sizing to see how close they are to each other. My thinking is to see if it would be worthy of buying a set of HEMI headers and modify them or just start making my own. Is the reason that there aren't any aftermarket versions already for this motor because in actuality headers would hurt the power output? If you can't tell yet, when I get bored I get busy. I did a semester at Georgia Tech back in '95 but dropped out because I was burnt out on school and joined the Air Force instead. Wasn't a mistake but should have finished school. I wanted to be an aerospace engineer lol. Like everybody though, if I could go back in time.....
Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Vehicle: 2011 SLT CC 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:24
SeattlePete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
Eh, I'm gonna leave it on. Love the sound. He got in WAAAAAYYYY over my head bout the way I welded (had help finishing weld) on. Some stuff about back pressure and resonance of sound off of the inner side walls of the bed. Which is why it gets quieter as the truck gets warmer? I just smiled and agreed and was happy and wondering what was under all of the black wrapping of a small hatchback parked in between a 2013 Cherokee and a Ram HD. Really hoping it is the new Fiat hatchback and they are bringing it to the states. I am a sucker for hatchbacks and wagons and was upset Dodge stopped making the Magnum. I am currently looking for a used R/T one that hasn't been abused too much. But if they start bringing the real Fiat's to the states, I can wait lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
haha yeah my wife wanted a magnum forever, then she suddenly wanted a RT and I asked why and her response was "so it's faster than yours" lol. Now she wants a trailblazer SS....can't blame her they are SWEET, I am really a GM guy at heart...and gotta love the LS engines.
Too bad- either of you could have bought my Magnum SRT:
Fast and black (the only color to have.....)
Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Ok, last question I promise, and if you can't answer, point me toward someone who can. Why aren’t there any aftermarket headers for this newest gen 4.7L? I have been all over the internet and read as much as I can find. Comparing this 4.7L to current 5.7L, the combustion on the 4.7L is very near to being hemispherical; the intake manifolds are very close. The heads are very close; they even share the same spark configuration. Only thing I can't find is exhaust port sizing to see how close they are to each other. My thinking is to see if it would be worthy of buying a set of HEMI headers and modify them or just start making my own. Is the reason that there aren't any aftermarket versions already for this motor because in actuality headers would hurt the power output? If you can't tell yet, when I get bored I get busy. I did a semester at Georgia Tech back in '95 but dropped out because I was burnt out on school and joined the Air Force instead. Wasn't a mistake but should have finished school. I wanted to be an aerospace engineer lol. Like everybody though, if I could go back in time.....
Headers don't hurt power. My opinion on why they are not made is because the 4.7L is being discontinued; why support an engine that will disappear? Can't argue with their financial decision... Some of us contacted some companies and they are considering making shorty headers(cheaper and bolt on). Gibson is close, but they need a vehicle to mock up and finalize the design(I think they are in CA). Maybe you can be the one to volunteer your truck(you get a free set of headers)??? I'm much too far or I'd do it...

I think you'd be better off getting a set of headers from the 1st gen 4.7L and modify them, rather than hemi headers...

Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 PM

And ohhhhh how our lives would be different if we all had DeLorian time machines, right? LOL

Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 PM

Actually emailed Gibson before I wrote that post. No return email yet. I knew they were talking about getting rid of the 4.7L for trucks but I thought they were going to keep it in a format for cars, supposedly to reduce the weight that the 5.7L puts in the 300, and Charger and such that use the 5.7L. At least this is some of what I've read when looking for the info I was wanting for headers. And about the time machine; I joke about that almost everyday with my coworkers when they ask why I drive 65mph in my truck but fly on my bike. My answer is," I do 88mph waiting to see the blue lighting and flames." The older ones get it. The fresh from basic kids look at me like I'm a retard. Which I am.