DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-29-2011, 03:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:210
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about
Default Heads Up... Upcomming Surgery

Didnt know where to put this, Mods may move to proper place if need be.

A few years back (09) I was injured on the job causing 4 discs in my neck to bulge and 2 to rupture against my spinal cord. My hands and arms were numb and had severe pain, took me 5 months to find a surgeon to figure out whats wrong... long story short, got the surgery done a week before my insurance ran out and a week before christmas I was terminated due to the fact I couldnt return to work because I was on 6+ months recovery.

Well at 7:30am today I will be stuck in the MRI again to get an update on the injury before the next surgery ( just before christmas )

My first surgery they fused my c3-c4 and this one will fuse my c6-c7, so I will lose a total of 20% range of motion after this surgery and thats if it hasnt got any worst ( 10% loss of motion for each vertibrae fused )
It seems everytime I do anything I hurt more, so I dont get much sleep due to pain and constantly taking pain meds, It just isnt no fun.

Later down the road will be my back as it is screwed up from 3 motorcycle accidents and just being a bouncing baby boy all these years thinking youre invinceable....lol Playing Tackle Football, BMX stunts and all the other crazy things we do.... wow, it catches up fast when we get old.

First 3 months suck as I cant drive and I am basically bed ridden/home bound. Cant lift anything over 3 pounds and I will lose about 20 pounds or more due to I cant swallow ( basically choke on water ) so its hard to eat and get tired fast, let alone talk...maybe a sentence or two. ( past experience ) after 6 months I see the doc for a follow up and then he decides if he releases me or need further treatments based on that surgery. the first year after surgery is painful, cant make any sudden movements and sneezing/coughing... I wish I was dead !!!!

This is an MRI from the first, the upper rupture was repaired with plate and screws and a bone graft as seen in the second x ray, oh what fun I look forward to...NOT

Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

Take care of yourself man! Surgery on my shoulder is the reason I was honorably discharged from the USMC, don't let the healing process get u down! Let us know how it goes, get to feeling better!

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 11-03-2011, 12:03 AM

sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Yeah... Healing wasnt too bad, just dont look forward to the extreme pain afterwards but enjoy the relief when it fully heals. Just found out I have a bone spur under my kneecap which is painful and having it looked at tomorrow at the orthopedic surgeon, So Im pretty much going to be sliced and diced before the holidays again this time around as well...lol
My wife is also having a "floating" bone removed from both her feet this months and her son is having surgery on both his ankles ( ruined his ankles with "skaters" shoes ) for not tying them and trying to be all cool... I told him so !
They will place some sort of splint inside his ankles to rotate the foot outwards so he doesnt walk like a duck....lol
Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I will say that i hope everything works out for you, i can't begin to say i feel your pain, too bad they can't insert those artificial discs or disc pads, instead of fusing the spine
http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients...placement.aspx

I had a a couple bone spurs on my left heel, cutting into my Achilles tendon, the Dr opened me up & cut the bone spurs & rounded off the sharp points, that was 10 years ago, the lower part of my foot is still discolored, but no pain , just ugly

Just after that i blew out my right shoulder rotator cusp, it feels great now, just lost some strength
a year after that, my left cusp went out, that was in 2002, still doesn't feel right sometimes during the night, i move to the couch & hang my arm off the back of the couch, relieves the pain, lost more strength, no more lifting up the front of my bike to put it on blocks
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 11-03-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:11 PM

I talked to the doc about those discs and they arent that good he said, there were others that are more like a ball and cup but they all have their ups and downs, The best for me is just plain fusion in the neck. He stated that the ball and cup are best for lower back since there is alot more weight on them as well as a wider range of motion...
http://www.spine-health.com/fig-1-prodisc-c%E2%84%A2-cervical-artificial-disc-synthes-spine-solutions

http://www.spine-health.com/fig-4-me...sk-replacement
Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 PM

Oh, and the bone spur in my knee is not the cause of pain, the ligaments are inflamed so just some scripts to make it all better in a few weeks....lol
Old 11-05-2011, 12:46 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Yeah, it sure does catch up quick. I myself am only 27, and I notice I cant do some of the things I could do at 20-21 anymore...at least not without paying for it for the next several days.

I was told I needed a right hip replacement after an IED Strike in october 2007, I asked what my other options were, the answer was OxyMorphone, 2-3 pills 4x a day. The hip replacement would have ended my career instantly. But SOMETIMES, I wish I would have taken the surgery. Doc says I had 10 years of moderate use left in it before the pain would become to severe...maybe. He also said 10 years of the army life is NOT even close to "moderate" use. The pain is steadily getting worse, and I will likely have pain the rest of my life because I didnt choose a stupid surgery.

You will be glad when its all over, I am sure.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 11-06-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
Yeah, it sure does catch up quick. I myself am only 27, and I notice I cant do some of the things I could do at 20-21 anymore...at least not without paying for it for the next several days.

I was told I needed a right hip replacement after an IED Strike in october 2007, I asked what my other options were, the answer was OxyMorphone, 2-3 pills 4x a day. The hip replacement would have ended my career instantly. But SOMETIMES, I wish I would have taken the surgery. Doc says I had 10 years of moderate use left in it before the pain would become to severe...maybe. He also said 10 years of the army life is NOT even close to "moderate" use. The pain is steadily getting worse, and I will likely have pain the rest of my life because I didnt choose a stupid surgery.

Sorry to hear of our injuries in the line of duty, thanks for serving our country. I too as well put off this second surgery... not by choice, just didnt have the insurance at first and now that we met our deductable I am all in to get the neck finnished. My back is shot all to hell so Im afraid to find out how bad it really is but, I am going to have to bite the bullet soon since i cant even sleep due to the pain. i just got my meds upped to some stronger stuff as I was getting "tollorant" to the usual, so the doc is going to alternate back and forth so I get the full relief from the meds as well as not get addicted to them. I dont know or understand how someone gets addicted to meds, I have never felt like " I have to have them" or Need to have them.... hell I dont really take them unless the pain is unbearable or i just want a good nights sleep.

You will be glad when its all over, I am sure.
Yeah, I had 4 bulging discs in my neck till the accident at work then it blew 2 of them out ( all work related anyways ) I was getting epidual shots every 3 months to curb the pain, but once they blew out nothing can help but surgery. Been a life changing experience for me, losing my career, cant do anything i did before ( weight training, sports, heavy mechanical work...ect... ) and now I am going insane sitting around the house 24/7 as we cant afford much on just my wifes income and disability. My wife said i need a hobby but everything cost ( car parts, supplies...ect...) but saves money on baby sitting/daycare....lol

Last edited by sonocativo; 11-06-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 PM
erm

Mike,

Please accept my best wishes for a quick and painfree recovery. I live with a bit of chronic pain. I ain't as young as I used to be and if I had known I was gonna live this long, I woulda taken better care of myself. Between football, softball, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, a motorcycle accident and the twists/sprains that you get over time, I feel like I need an entire overhaul sometimes.

So here's to you and your family with my wishes that you come out of this healthier and with less pain.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Mike,

Please accept my best wishes for a quick and painfree recovery. I live with a bit of chronic pain. I ain't as young as I used to be and if I had known I was gonna live this long, I woulda taken better care of myself. Between football, softball, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, a motorcycle accident and the twists/sprains that you get over time, I feel like I need an entire overhaul sometimes.

So here's to you and your family with my wishes that you come out of this healthier and with less pain.
Thanks for all the well wishes guys, I dont look forward to the extreme pain after surgery...It subsides a bit after 3 months, then at 6 months it not too bad if I sit still, but I have to constantly move or it will get stiff ( my neck that is ) so, when I wake in the mornings it is at its worst then it will lighten up throughout the day. It took a year and a halk for the first surgery to completely heal since it is all internal ( soft tissue ) and still to this day it hurts to make sudden movements or lift anything heavy. Even know it is in the neck, it still hurts to do alot of things ( something to do with muscle pull in the neck/balance )

Maddog, I know all about motorcycles, that was my first vehicle at 16... got hit 3 times over the years and it doesnt matter how cautious you are, they will find you....lol The last one put me in 6-1/2 hours reconstructive surgery, with 11-1/2" lacuration to my face. Luckily my neck wasnt broke, jaw broke on both sides, cheek bone or brow bone shattered or any skull fractors. I hit hard when ran off by a drunk driver at night Dec.12, 1988 I was young at 20 and healed quickly, out of work for 3 months. And it wasnt a year later I was walking with a girlfriend and a gal ran a stop sign and nailed me, messed up my back really good and required 3 years of theraphy... Over the years I recovered fairly well, then I turned the good ole majic 40 and its been hell since...lol