DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 crew 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rpwillix is on a distinguished road
Default limited slip vs tcs

i have a 2011 crew cab with 3.55 open diff and the tcs that it seems alot of brands are using wether or not you have L/S is a complete waste. I was just wondering what is yalls take on the TCS. To me it is no comparison/alternative to having limited slip, it just seems im always having to put the truck in 4wd just to do anything as i work in construction.
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
Rep:14
RedRam5.7 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2010 crew cab big horn 3.92 gears with both L/S and TCS. Ya without L/S i can see why you have to use 4x4 alot. For the TCS i like it because it really helps in the rain or snow i was impressed. It cuts the motor out when it senses the tires are slipping. Do you turn your TCS off when using your truck at work?
Old 10-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

I think TCS is more for ice/snow and slick asphalt. I think its also for people who have no idea how to drive in bad conditions and like to accelerate when they start to feel slipping.
The only time I've had tcs activate i was accelerating out of a an uphill 90* bend in my dads hemi with an open diff. I almost smacked my face off the steering wheel
In no way does it even compare to a locked or LSD rearend.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 5.7L
Trim Level: Big Horn Package
Color: Stone White
Rep:50
MTtruckr will become famous soon enough

I have the 3.55's with no LS and I'll make sure I never get one without it again. I have had to stick it in 4 wheel in the winter (2 winters) more than I ever had to with my old truck with LS I had for 6 years. So I agree with TCS seems good while driving but with no LS you get stuck pretty easy.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 crew 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rpwillix is on a distinguished road

It's nice to see people agree TCS is no comparison. I tried to argue that point to my salesman but he swore it was almost the same so i dropped it because in a way i was in his ballpark with his rules. Here's a little background to why i say that, i was trying to trade a 2011 Ranger sport because we found out my wife was pregnant and we already have 2 kids and no matter what anybody says i dont think its safe to have a rear facing carseat up front. So i went to the dealer and tried to see what he could do for me as i was looking at a crew cab f-150 and he said there was no way he could make that deal and be in the payment range i wanted, thats when he asked if i would consider a ram (he sells both ford and dodge/chrysler) because they were offering excellent discounts so i figured hey why not i just know i need something bigger. I told him though that if i had to get into a dodge its gotta have a hemi i wouldnt except anything else so we test drove a qaud cab slt model and wow was i impressed i had never felt power like that before so i was sold until my daughter tells us she felt it was small in the back and i thought no way you think its small and you just got out of the back of the ranger lol. Any how so the sales guy says i dont have any crew cabs here in the slt model but you can test drive a big horn crew cab which was real nice so we decided to go with a crew cab, got back to the dealer said we wanted the big horn crew so we started paperwork on it and once all was said and done we had to leave in the ranger. As we was loading up the kids the sales guy came out and basically said he understands we need something bigger give him a few days and he would work something out so week and half later he called back and said he could get us something close to what we want (the only criteria i told him it had to have was 4x4, hemi, crew cab and no black i guess i should have said it needed to have limited slip too) so we headed down to the dealer to sign papers. When we got there to sign papers and we was looking it over the bank had put a clause in there we had to be at or under $41,000 out the door price, which the sales guy did by coming up on my trade by $4,700 and knocking $1,200 off the ram, out the door price was $40,999.86. Needless to say i feel that salesman went above and beyond what iveseen most do and that is very respectable in my book he's definatly getting my business from now on. Sorry for being long winded here guys i just tried to describe it as it was in my head which is a scary place to be sometimes.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:15 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

If I'm understanding this correctly TCS or "traction control" simply pulls down the motor so it cannot make full torque under acceleration. I also understand (from hearing some hemi owners talk at a meet last week) that it cannot be totally turned off unless you know some tricks or buy a tuner that will unhook it> ?
At least you can "sorta" turn yours off. Torque limiting is built into earlier trucks and can't be done unless you buy a SCT or similar tuner.

Suffice to say...it is NOT a limited slip differential. Two entirely different creatures.

All that hemi power and a one legged diff...that's sad. Actually it's stupid on Dodges (or Rams) part.

The only problem with an LSD is when you overuse it. It makes you hungry for more....like a locker

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 10-29-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 5.7L
Trim Level: Big Horn Package
Color: Stone White
Rep:50
MTtruckr will become famous soon enough

honestly, if it came down to price I wouldn't make it a make or break deal. I get alone just fine in Montana/Minnesota winters, I just have to use 4x4 more than I had to in my past truck. TCS is great on the road because if you cruising down the highway and hit a patch of ice it will limit the power to the wheel that is slipping minimizing the damage, that's its intention, keep you going in a straight line. LSD is all about keeping your power going to the ground through whatever tire has grip.