DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:17
SILVERQUAD is on a distinguished road
Default 315/70/17 On 2011 Quad 4X4 no lift

Hey all,

I am running right now with 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers and have no rub issues whatsoever, on the factory stock setting with no lift.

However I have been having a vibration issue with the tires. After SIX balances, it is still there.

So I am switching up the tires today. I am going with Cooper Discoverer AT3, tires in the size of 315/70/17.....I am hoping I don't rub.

On cooper site is says theser are only 34.6 tall. I am now over 33. This will increase my height by 1.6 inces.

On the specs, it says the Section Width is wider than what I have now.

But the Tread With is only 9.9???? Don't know how that can be, but that is what it says.

So since the tread width is smaller, tire is a bit taller, but section width wider, should I have any issues with rubbing or not.

I have Vision 375 Warrior wheels with the same backspace and offset as the factory wheel, at least that is what Discount Tire has told me.

Suppose to go there at 1 pm today CST, so please any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
erm

I'm only guessing here but I suspect you'll have some rubbing at full steering lock. The tread may be narrower but remember, tires are wider at about the center of the sidewall, then narrow at the wheel and at the tread shoulder.

If you are running a 70X17 now, height won't be an issue but I'm not sure how you came up with a 1.6" height difference between the two sizes. The difference between a 295 / 70 and 315 / 70 aspect ratio tire isn't that much.

The 295 or 315 indicates this tire is 295 or 315 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the tire section width can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

295mm / 25.4 = 11.61" ... 315 / 25.4 = 12.40" So, you are less than 8/10's of an inch wider. Let's call it just a shade over 3/4's of an inch.

The 70 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 70% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall.

70% of 295 = 206.5cm = 8.129"

70% of 315 = 220.5cm = 8.681"

Now these calcs are used as a standard for all tires, however, manufacturing methods, tools, molds, etc...all vary from tire maker to tire maker so some differences in actual measurements will occur.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:17
SILVERQUAD is on a distinguished road

If my rubbing is only at full steering lock I am cool with that.

That should be taken care of in two weeks.

I am and have ordered the Bilstein 5100's ordered for all corners but they are not to be here until 11/15 top 11/21.

I will use full height adjustment on them and set the fronts to the 2.8 setting.

I also have a Top Gunz 3/4 spacer for the rear set up.

This should give me about .1 to .2 higher in the rear over the front.

Should be almost level.

I was just concerned we would not even be able to bolt the rim to the hub assembly because of Upper control arm clearance issue.