DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Quad Cab 4 x 4
Trim Level: SLT Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
CanuckHRAM is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 Outdoorsman - Rear Sag When Towing

Hello,

Traded my 2003 RAM in for my new 2011 Outdoorsman. Love this new truck but when I hook up my 6000 Lb. Travel Trailer the truck sags noticeably. Same set-up used (Load Levelers) and same trailer that my
2003 towed with no sagging until it was 6 years old after which I installed a Firestone Air Bag system in rear.

I am disappointed that my new truck cannot carry this weight without sagging yet my 2003 had no problem doing so when new. Is it the coil springs system? Wondering if others have this problem and if there is anything that Dodge can do? 2011 tows great but the sag sucks.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Just my opinion but I don't know why people get upset with sagging when putting thousands of pounds on the back of a truck...it's supposed to do that. The coil spring suspension is really a good setup, superior to leafs in every way. It is, however, possible that there is more travel in the coil system vs. the leaf system, as in maybe there is more overall travel to achieve the same payload...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
RTBenny is on a distinguished road

I agree with snrusnak, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are really looking for a solution, I would start by checking the tongue weight of the trailer. Try to balance your load so that there is just over 600 pounds on the tongue (10% of total load). Maybe your tonque weight is higher than it needs to be right now.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
erm

I agree...check that tongue weight on the trailer.

Even then, I'd suggest you consider a set of air bags for the back. The Ride Rite kit from Firestone is a good one.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM

Thanks everyone for your honest opinions. I could play with the weight distribution in my trailer but it may not make the difference I am looking for. I do realize that the new coil spring suspension is superior in most respects, especially ride quality, but it's just a little surprising that
the rear sag is there.

I did install a Firestone Ride-Rite set of rear air bags on my 2003 and they worked great. This will probably be the route I take with my 2011 knowing the product and what it can do.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^ I think there is more sag just because there is more travel in the suspension (although I have no verification of this....I could measure the travel in mine and compare to someone who measures the travel of their leafs...). I would second the airbags, they are very easy to install on these trucks too, there's a nice large plate on the axle (almost as if they wanted you to install bags lol).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge RAM
Rep:17
TLC John is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New Air Suspension System for RAM 1500

Total Load Control™ is a patented new air suspension for coil spring RAM 1500. We recently introduced it on the Z and hope you'll be our next customer!

We add 2 tons of lift power with 9" Goodyear air springs that not only level any legal load but also improve handling, steering, braking and ride - loaded and unloaded.

TLC™ tightens the rear end to virtually eliminate understeer and oversteer without interfering with the ride or factory suspension. In fact, our customers prefer the unloaded ride with TLC.

TLC bolts on and is easy-to-install.

Please check out our Z vendor page or website: TotalLoadControl.com.

We have a $100 off special running until Thanksgiving if you put in the code RAMZ at checkout.

If you have any questions, please let us know.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not, Ram trucks will be getting air springs in a while, i don't know yet if the 2012 model has them as an option

The coil springs are ok if you use your Ram 1500 as a pleasure vehicle, when you go to the home improvement store & load up, the coils need HELP

They can BS all they want, they needed more gas mileage per the Federal Regs & went to coils, lots lighter than leaf springs, the 2500 & 3500 models don't have to comply with those Regs

The 2011 rear ends are 40 pounds lighter that the 2010, another gas mileage improver

The next thing they are going to do, is to stop giving you a spare tire, instead you will get a jack, a tire plug kit & a electric mini air pump, some makes of vehicles already are doing that, another mpg saver
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC John View Post
Total Load Control™ is a patented new air suspension for coil spring RAM 1500. We recently introduced it on the Z and hope you'll be our next customer!

We add 2 tons of lift power with 9" Goodyear air springs that not only level any legal load but also improve handling, steering, braking and ride - loaded and unloaded.

TLC™ tightens the rear end to virtually eliminate understeer and oversteer without interfering with the ride or factory suspension. In fact, our customers prefer the unloaded ride with TLC.

TLC bolts on and is easy-to-install.

Please check out our Z vendor page or website: TotalLoadControl.com.

We have a $100 off special running until Thanksgiving if you put in the code RAMZ at checkout.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thanks for the product heads-up TLC John. I will visit your website and let you know if I have any questions.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Rugged Brown
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:27
Zeus is on a distinguished road

TLC system adds more capability than the others but it is also a lot more expensive. I like it. Just not sure I want to spend the money. Has anybody ran any of the bags that go inside the spring?