DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
DodgeGuy85 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy New truck.Hope I did'nt waste my $$$

Hey yall,
I just bought a new truck, well used. It's a 96' 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 automatic,Well I went and looked at it last thursday and also test drove it,The owner told me flat out before I fired it up that it has aftermarket headers and that the drivers side gasket is bad so has an exhaust leak.He also told me that he had the new gasket but just did'nt have the time to replace it himself which I was ok with.I fired it up and let it warm up then checked all fluids which all were good. I took it for a drive and everything seemed to be ok,No check engine light on or any noise from motor other than the exhaust leak 4x4 also worked well.Took it back to house and gave it a few days and thought it over,so today went back and bought it.He gave me the new header gasket just before I left.After I left I stopped at gas station to fill it up because fuel light was on.Pumped gas and it only got to like $12 dollars and stopped.Which I thought was odd because the gauge was on "E" I grabbed the handle again and it stopped after another dollars worth then it started leaking fuel underneath from top of tank.Which is where I started to get frustrated ! I immediately called the seller and asked if the fuel gauge worked and if it has always leaked fuel like it was and he told me that The tank was almost already full and that he thinks the wires to sending unit had a loose connection and said as I'm driving that I'll see the gauge go up and down.OK no big deal I can fix that I said and hung up. Got back on road and drove the half hour home and it was running fine even had it on cruise control at 70mph.drove straight with no shakes or vibrations.I made it about a mile out from my house and It all of a sudden started not to run right.It started making a pop sound and felt like it was trying to die out and or if it was'nt getting enough fuel.So I immediately pulled over and put it in park and the rpms dropped down to the first line,then put it in neutral and they went back up.So I said well looks like a vaccuum leak.Put it back in drive and got it to the house. I popped the hood and let it idle and heard a loud suction noise somewhere on motor.Now would a vaccumm leak make it run like i described? I am going to pull the throttle body and clean it up along with the IAC and run some seafoam thru it to see if that helps. Also I have another 96' with a 5.2 that has new plugs and wires that are about a month old.WIll the plugs and wires from that motor work on the 5.9 in my new truck or is everything different.I'm hoping someone can give me a diagnostic check list to help me find the bug.I also wonder that since the fuel gauge isnt working right and if the wires are loose or bad connection what the possibility of the wires to fuel pump having a bad or loose connection as well and maybe thats why it was running rough.I think its something little I would think that If it had a big problem that it wouldve been running rough the whole time I was driving it, which it was'nt.Also I'm not sure how long it sat so I guess could be bad fuel too.I dunno I just hope I did'nt blow my money and I hope it's something simple.Any ideas guys? any help would be so greatful.I just bought this truck to replace my other truck that blew the tranny last week ! Where should I start looking to diagnose this problem? Thanks for any and all help in regards to this ~Ronnie~
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ram
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
CoreyB is on a distinguished road

Well you didnt waste your money. Whatever is wrong doesnt seem to be major to me. The gas gauge is probably not a wire but rather the wiper in the tank for the float. But thats just a guess. As far as the loud sucking sound, check to see that the air intake hat is properly secured to the throttle body, its a common mistake to not get the clamp on properly. Did the check engine light come on?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Just FYI I believe a vacuum leak would raise the idle, not lower it.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 2011 SLT CC 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
SeattlePete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeGuy85 View Post
Hey yall,
I just bought a new truck, well used. It's a 96' 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 automatic,Well I went and looked at it last thursday and also test drove it,The owner told me flat out before I fired it up that it has aftermarket headers and that the drivers side gasket is bad so has an exhaust leak.He also told me that he had the new gasket but just did'nt have the time to replace it himself which I was ok with.I fired it up and let it warm up then checked all fluids which all were good. I took it for a drive and everything seemed to be ok,No check engine light on or any noise from motor other than the exhaust leak 4x4 also worked well.Took it back to house and gave it a few days and thought it over,so today went back and bought it.He gave me the new header gasket just before I left.After I left I stopped at gas station to fill it up because fuel light was on.Pumped gas and it only got to like $12 dollars and stopped.Which I thought was odd because the gauge was on "E" I grabbed the handle again and it stopped after another dollars worth then it started leaking fuel underneath from top of tank.Which is where I started to get frustrated ! I immediately called the seller and asked if the fuel gauge worked and if it has always leaked fuel like it was and he told me that The tank was almost already full and that he thinks the wires to sending unit had a loose connection and said as I'm driving that I'll see the gauge go up and down.OK no big deal I can fix that I said and hung up. Got back on road and drove the half hour home and it was running fine even had it on cruise control at 70mph.drove straight with no shakes or vibrations.I made it about a mile out from my house and It all of a sudden started not to run right.It started making a pop sound and felt like it was trying to die out and or if it was'nt getting enough fuel.So I immediately pulled over and put it in park and the rpms dropped down to the first line,then put it in neutral and they went back up.So I said well looks like a vaccuum leak.Put it back in drive and got it to the house. I popped the hood and let it idle and heard a loud suction noise somewhere on motor.Now would a vaccumm leak make it run like i described? I am going to pull the throttle body and clean it up along with the IAC and run some seafoam thru it to see if that helps. Also I have another 96' with a 5.2 that has new plugs and wires that are about a month old.WIll the plugs and wires from that motor work on the 5.9 in my new truck or is everything different.I'm hoping someone can give me a diagnostic check list to help me find the bug.I also wonder that since the fuel gauge isnt working right and if the wires are loose or bad connection what the possibility of the wires to fuel pump having a bad or loose connection as well and maybe thats why it was running rough.I think its something little I would think that If it had a big problem that it wouldve been running rough the whole time I was driving it, which it was'nt.Also I'm not sure how long it sat so I guess could be bad fuel too.I dunno I just hope I did'nt blow my money and I hope it's something simple.Any ideas guys? any help would be so greatful.I just bought this truck to replace my other truck that blew the tranny last week ! Where should I start looking to diagnose this problem? Thanks for any and all help in regards to this ~Ronnie~
Wow- that was a hard read....I must be gettin' old

OK- I'm in agreement that the problems are probably minor.

First- did you pull any codes from the computer?

Second- the sender problem sound like the pump/sender unit has to be replaced (intank).

The 'suddenly not running right' sound like a vacuum line let loose, which threw the mixture off by introducing unmetered air into the engine. Track down the hiss of vacuum and replace the line.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:29 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I just thought of something. The fuel sending unit and the gas gauge sending unit are often housed in the same assembly, inside the tank on newer vehicles. If the gas gauge is acting up, the fuel pump could be as well (I went threw dozens fuel pumps in my GM vehicles, and each time the gauge started acting up the pump went shortly after). Does the fuel pump sound very loud? Turn the key to the on position(don't start the truck) and listen to hear the fuel pump prime, it should last a few seconds then stop, it will be a whining noise. You should be able to faintly hear it with the doors closed and windows closed. If it is excessively audible it is likely failing. Often they work when cold, but once hot they act up and don't provide proper fuel pressure. If the truck runs ok cold but acts up when hot it could be the pump.

EDIT: The late 1990's was a bad time for chrysler/ford/GM fuel pumps, they are pretty common to fail.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:10 PM

Ok here's where I'm at with it since I've bought it Thursday.I pulled throttle body off and gave it a good cleaning,It was'nt too bad and also unscrewed the IAC and cleaned it out as well.I threw a new air filter in and got it all put back together.I also pulled PCV valve and gave it a good cleaning.I got to thinking and crawled underneath and disconnected upstream 02 sensor and fired it up and it seemed to run alot better,So I took it out and replaced it with the upstream sensor I just bought for the other truck.So I tried taking it for a test drive which did'nt go to well I got about a 1/2 block away and it started spitting and popping while on the gas getting up to speed like it has a bad misfire. I stopped put it in park and just let it idle and it started to jolt every couple seconds so I'm thinking It's got a pretty bad misfire somewhere.I dunno what does that sound like to yall? any of yall ever had this happen.I was thinking maybe the spark coil was going bad but not sure.I plan on pulling all the plugs tomorrow and checking them. I wonder if I'm having bad detonation problem in one of the cylinders, not sure why it would be jolting like it is while it's just idling.Question ~ Will the plugs and wires from my other truck which is also a 96' but has a 5.2, work on the 5.9 just too see if the plugs and wires are bad on the new truck I bought.Also whats the possibility that the cap and rotor went out is that a normal act on these trucks?thanks for all the help guys ~Ronnie~ P.s The check engine light has not turned on yet...And I do not have a scanner to read codes.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 2011 SLT CC 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
SeattlePete is on a distinguished road

Go back to the basics, brother-
Spark
Fuel
Ignition/timing

You've changed parts without trying to find the problem. Borrow a code scanner - if you can get a fuel pressure gauge, even better.

Find the problem, then fix the problem.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 PM

I definately hear ya, I was just trying the basic stuff first,Just to see if I could get what ever bug is in it figured out before getting more technical with it. I'm gonna check plugs,wires and cap tomorrow if It does'nt get better than i'll be tracking down a scanner.It has'nt turned on the check engine light yet don't know if that really matters. The guy I bought it from said that he never had any problems with it like I'm having for only owning it for 2 days now.But you know how that is when you buy a used vehicle 9 times out of 10 your buying someones elses headache which I totally understood going into the buy.I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow.I just don't understand how It ran fine most of the way to my house then just turned south like it did.I just really hope that it did'nt float a valve being that the header gasket was leaking if that makes any sense...
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 PM

One question I have is how interchangeable are parts from a 5.2 to a 5.9? Reason I'm asking is if the fuel pump is starting to go,I still have my other 96' and just put a new fuel pump in it like 8 months ago.Are the fuel pumps the same or no? I payed a total of $375 for the pump and labor which I really don't want to spend again if I can just take it out of the other truck.I watched the guy do it and I'm confident that I'll be able to do the swap out myself.Even if it's not a fuel issue I still want to change out the pump just to do away with any future problems with it since I already have a fairly new one...
Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 PM

I'm not positive, but would bet it's the same pump between the two trucks. Changing the pump is usually very easy... remove bed, pull fuel pump relay, start/try to start engine, disconnect lines/connectors at pump, change pump, reassemble... $375 for parts plus labor is cheap, I was paying about the same for just the part in my GM's.

Spark and ignition are the same thing. You need to check spark, fuel, and compression.